INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blocky video  (Read 1646 times)

RuneW

• Recent member
Blocky video
« on: April 23, 2013, 03:31:22 pm »

I'm just running an evaluation version of JRiver (18.0.158) and thus know little about the software.

Playing full HD .ts files (on a nVidia / Windows 7 64 system) I notice that there is something fishy about the video.

It seems blocky like heavily compressed jpg images (JRiver bad video 02.png) where playing the same video with Windows Media player (or indeed any other player on my system) looks good (WMP.png).

Is JRiver not working "out of the box"? Do I have to tweak it in some way just to make it playback videos ok?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Blocky video
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:17:28 pm »

Welcome.

You might update to the latest MC (top of this board) and also your video drivers.

Then, try Red October vs Red October HQ in Options > Video.  Also, try toggling hardware acceleration on the same page.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RuneW

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 05:06:16 pm »

Hi,

I've now updated to the latest video driver (sys_info.png).

I've now updated to the latest JRiver version (JRiver version.png)

I've tried both Red October Standard and HQ. Standard looks bad (RO_STD_zoomed.png), but HQ looks good (RO_HQ_zoomed.png).

The problem is that HQ staggers along with maybe 5 fps and is useless. Enabling HW accelerated video decoding only makes it worse...

I have a Core i7 860 cpu (4 cores/8 threads) @ 2.8 GHz w/8GB ram. Not the fastest PC in the universe, but no too shabby.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:36:54 pm »

What you're seeing isn't normal.  5 fps would be ridiculous.  So something special is going on.  A virus checker is always a good place to start.  A slow drive, etc.

Try running a benchmark and post the bottom line result.  It's under Help in MC.

This rings a bell (dimly) as a video setting (not in MC).  In the NVidia software....

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »

Also, you mention you have an nVidia.  What model?

RuneW

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 02:08:01 am »

Also, you mention you have an nVidia.  What model?

It's a GeForce 8600GTS:

RuneW

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 02:14:00 am »

What you're seeing isn't normal.  5 fps would be ridiculous.  So something special is going on.  A virus checker is always a good place to start.  A slow drive, etc.

I could always try disabling the antivirus, but none of the other video players have shown any problems with the antivirus on.

Try running a benchmark and post the bottom line result.  It's under Help in MC.

Here's the benchmark result. I've done it remote from the work PC so the teamviewer software may have influenced the result.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:20 am »

That's a good machine.  Not great, but good.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 01:13:04 pm »

I'm not sure on this one.  You have a good CPU and the latest video drivers.  However, the video card was originally released about six years ago, so it might not have the muscle for madVR.

Is it only certain videos or all videos?

You might be able to adjust madVR settings to be less demanding (pick Red October HQ, then right-click a playing video and pick madVR from the filter list).

Otherwise I'm not sure what would help except a different video card.  Sorry.

RuneW

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:46:39 am »

Is it only certain videos or all videos?

I will check some different videos and see if it's the same thing for all.

I can certainly try another video card if you think that is the problem. It surprises me that the JRiver tailored benchmark really does not pick up any weaknesses in the HW video decoding, but maybe it's a pure CPU benchmark?

So, what is a recommended video card for this usage?

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 09:12:23 am »

Why does it work well with WMP if the video card is not up to the task.

Ross

RuneW

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 02:45:17 am »

Why does it work well with WMP if the video card is not up to the task.

Ross

Good question. I don't think WMP uses/needs the video card at all to decompress the video. My CPU has got 4 cores / 8 threads for heavens sake!

I think the real question is why JRiver MC needs to use it.

Or why "Red October Standard" looks so bad. Is it normal that it looks this bad?

Well, I guess you'll stop hearing from me soon enough. My 30 day trial is almost over and if I cannot get the blasted piece of software do to the simplest of things (play a video) within the trial period, I guess it's no point in going any further with it  :-\
Pages: [1]   Go Up