INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater view tends to crash...greatest sadness ensues  (Read 1786 times)

mattfromthenavy

Theater view tends to crash...greatest sadness ensues
« on: May 01, 2013, 05:47:25 pm »

Hello all, i'm evaluating MC18 right now and I use it primarily with my spare laptop  via HDMI out to the TV. Its an HP DV6 3040us running windows 8...which is really not the greatest laptop in the first place but every time I am in theater view the program freezes up randomly and crashes MC18. I can't test theater view and monitor my cpu/gpu specs at the same time (or at least i don't know how) so i'm just hoping someone is more familiar with this sort of hangup and can point me in the right direction.

Windows 8
2.10GHz AMD Phenom II N830, a triple-core processor that is paired with 4GB of DDR3 SDRAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics chipset

MC18 also crashes sporadically in normal use...it tends to just run very slow. I believe all of my drivers are up to date... Any recommendations would be appreciated, i'm using the latest stable build...i'll get the most up to date when i get home tomorrow. If its helpful to know, XBMC is doing the same thing (locking up)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Theater view tends to crash...greatest sadness ensues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 06:24:38 pm »

A crash in Theater View is likely to be a video driver problem.  Try updating the driver.

In Theater View options, you can slow down the frame rate.  It defaults to 60 frames per second.  Try 30.  It might help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:29:47 pm »

If its helpful to know, XBMC is doing the same thing (locking up)

Welcome.

If lockups are happening in multiple programs that use the GPU, I think you might have a failing graphics card (or a fan on it that's not spinning any longer).

As Jim said, it might be worth trying to get drivers directly from AMD instead of the motherboard maker (if you haven't already).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mattfromthenavy

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:52 pm »

A crash in Theater View is likely to be a video driver problem.  Try updating the driver.

In Theater View options, you can slow down the frame rate.  It defaults to 60 frames per second.  Try 30.  It might help.

I will definitely try that! I just found out that apparently the last video driver that hp released for this laptop was from 2010, but AMD has some as recent as monday. This is what i get for believing in an oem. I should know better
Pages: [1]   Go Up