INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catastrophic Failure Message  (Read 1073 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
Catastrophic Failure Message
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:07:05 am »

I launched MC18 and it gave me a message saying it could not connect to JRiver.com. Okay, so who cares right. I want to play some local content, why heck should I care if your site is up or down. Of course I am not going to download and reinstall the software because your site is not reached. So I choose to go to Theater View and the screen comes with Catastrophic Error!

I start looking around and I see for some reason this PC is showing no internet access on the Taskbar. I go checking cables, seems all my switches are getting link lights. The notebook and a couple desktops all see the internet. I reboot the HTPC it sees the internet I launch MC 18 and it comes up just fine.

Just because a patch cord was loose or something casued a loss of connectivity to the internet should produce errors messages telling you to download and reinstall MC, nor should accessing Theater View after this error/warning result in a black screen that says Catastrophic Error.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Catastrophic Failure Message! What a dopey thing!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:22:38 am »

I will probably get kicked off the board again,

Again huh. That should tell you something  ::)

I think the "catastrophic failure" message is from Windows. I've seen it on servers with no 3rd party software installed, but that was a very long time ago (Windows NT and 2000 era).

I doubt it was just internet access. A loose cable would show a red cross, an exclamation mark indicates it has network locally, but no internet access. Either way I just tested several scenarios from disabling the local adapter to denying internet access on my firewall for the HTCP, and it always just starts and launches movies or music never complaining about anything.

There must have been something else on your system that was fixed by rebooting.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Catastrophic Failure Message! What a dopey thing!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:32:32 am »

To my knowledge MC only needs Net access if you are using the Access Key to connect from a client to the Library Server....

EDIT: and even if the net is down I just get a msg saying it can not connect.
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Catastrophic Failure Message
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:54:19 am »

I edited gtgray's post to turn the volume down a little.
Pages: [1]   Go Up