INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring files to portable devices  (Read 1871 times)

good sound

• Recent member
Transferring files to portable devices
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:58:13 am »

I am trying to figure out how to transfer specific sections of a file to a portable device. In my media center library I have certain albums that are in multiple formats such as Wav, Apple Lossless and WMA. If I attempt to transfer one of these album files to a portable device it attempts to transfer the album in all three formats. How do I transfer just the tracks from one specific format, say WMA? I tried to highlight just the WMA files but as soon as I go to, send to, and click on transfer, it starts transferring all three formats instead of just WMA. How do I do this?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Transferring files to portable devices
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:16:02 am »

Maybe they are in stacks.  You can read about stacks on the wiki.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:51:15 am »

Works okay here.If ordinary tracks, not stacks/particles as already suggested, try copying or moving with MC's My Computer (found in the tree under Drives and Devices) to drag selected tracks to a new location. You can drag and drop all within MC.

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:06:11 am »

I'm sorry, basically a complete newb here. I need to know how to transfer an album file in one specific format only, to my portable device. I have the album stored in MC in multiple formats and when I go to transfer to the portable device the largest file or top file or all three files transfer not just the one I want. If it's not too much trouble I need detailed simple direct and complete instructions on how to accomplish this keeping in mind that as a newb I am not familiar with a lot of the jargon and names and locations of specific elements of MC.

Here is an example;

I have the Green Day album Tre imported into MC in three different formats, Uncompressed Wave,( for use on my own portable device as I appreciate the better sound quality and don't mind using up large amounts of space on my portable device) Apple Lossless,( for transfer to my daughters I-pod) and WMA Lossless ( which is the format I want to transfer to my wife's' MP3 player. When I go into the file each track is listed three times. track one is listed as Uncompressed Wave first then under that it's listed again in W4M or whatever( Apple Lossless) and then it's listed a third time under that in WMA. I want to transfer just the WMA tracks of that album to my wife's portable device. How do I do this?

I know it can be a PITA dealing with neophytes so I appreciate your time and patience.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 08:29:24 am »

I am unfamiliar with iPods and how they are connected for transfer etc so others will chime in here.

In meantime I presumed you were selecting your "device" under the "send to" menu you mentioned.

As a possible alternative, to see if it works differently, can you not do this via MC explorer?  .......In standard view in the left pane under Audio,Images etc...go down to "Drives and devices" > Explorer.
You will see a windows like explorer listing of all folders, connected drives and devices.You can click on the folders in the left pane and they open to show contents in the right pane. You can select folders in the left pane or indovidual tracks in the right pane and drag and drop elsewhere in another folder or device the same as you can in windows explorer.
HTH

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 09:09:26 am »

That seems fine for transferring or importing from the portable device into MC but I want to do the opposite. I want to transfer from MC onto a portable device, which by the way is not an I-pod in this instance. Even if I click and drag the file to my portable device the file size to transfer is like 5 point something GB! Yikes! I just want to transfer the WMA portion of the file not the wave portion and the apple lossless portion.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 09:58:32 am »

I just tried to replicate what you described, but I couldn't; I don't have any problems sending just one file type with duplicate files, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on there.

Have you tried to take advantage of JRiver's on the fly conversion for handhelds?  When you're configuring the sync, you can set up JRiver to convert the files you're syncing to a variety of formats while it's transferring them.  So you wouldn't need to keep three copies of the files, and could work around this problem that way (just keep the WAVs in your library and have JRiver convert them when syncing) 

good sound

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:16:51 am »

I just tried to replicate what you described, but I couldn't; I don't have any problems sending just one file type with duplicate files, so I'm not sure exactly what's going on there.

Have you tried to take advantage of JRiver's on the fly conversion for handhelds?  When you're configuring the sync, you can set up JRiver to convert the files you're syncing to a variety of formats while it's transferring them.  So you wouldn't need to keep three copies of the files, and could work around this problem that way (just keep the WAVs in your library and have JRiver convert them when syncing) 

That's encouraging. What exactly did you do?

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »

Even if I click and drag the file to my portable device the file size to transfer is like 5 point something GB!

WOW, so something, as you say, is very wrong and something others can not replicate. How big are the directory/ies in Windows explorer where this media resides? What happens if you attempt to directly transfer the files from windows explorer not from within MC ?

My other thought is sometimes posting screen shots of the steps you are taking can allow others to identify the culprit.

[EDIT] and also make sure you are using the leatest version of MC currently 18.0.180 I think

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 07:09:28 pm »

That's encouraging. What exactly did you do?

I tried both clicking and dragging, and right-clicking the file and using "send."  In both cases only the file I selected was placed on the sync list (not other versions of it).  If you try to transfer the whole album, you'll get all the copies, but doing one file at a time I had no problem.  You could get the whole album in a few clicks by sorting by file type within the album and then selecting the format you want.

Here's a diagnostic suggestion:  create a new smartlist (the command is on the context menu when you right-click "playlists and smartlists." Then in the "rule panel"  change the first parameter to "file type" and in the second parameter box check "wma" (or whatever file type you're currently trying to work with).  Then hit ok.  The resulting list should show you only files of the specified type.  Try syncing to your device from this list and see if you have the same problem. 

You may also want to look into whether you've inadvertantly created "stacks" for these files as Jim suggested earlier : http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks
Pages: [1]   Go Up