INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear Auto-import database only ?  (Read 1485 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Clear Auto-import database only ?
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:16:03 pm »

mcj008 wrote:
" because it is taking longer and longer when i auto import tracks... "

This happens to me too, and I wonder if there is any way to clear only the import database, and not the actual database.

Perhaps there is a file that - if deleted - would do that ?

For example, it reports so-so number of files "previously determined to be bad" so it is clearly not starting from scratch.

I do not want to start from scratch with my Library, because I have spent hours entering data that cannot be stored it file tags, and so is only in MC18's Library database.

Thanks!

Re: Clear Auto-import database only ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:25:28 pm »

Create a new smartlist for: ~d=r

I’ve been finding things slower recently too—but the main cause seems to be that it is constantly scanning though every subdirectory for files. If I had the option to set up a folder as "only scan this directory and no subdirectories" it would be a lot quicker.

As it is now, I would have to set up a ton of exceptions manually. (Which I am not going to do, as there are far too many)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »

I’ve been finding things slower recently too—but the main cause seems to be that it is constantly scanning though every subdirectory for files. If I had the option to set up a folder as "only scan this directory and no subdirectories" it would be a lot quicker.
MC doesn't scan the way you may expect.  It gets notifications from Windows when files are added or change.

You may be seeing the effect of a virus checker or something else.

kstuart

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »

In my case, I have "scan in the background" turned off, so it only scans when I trigger it manually.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 03:23:21 pm »

In my case, I have "scan in the background" turned off, so it only scans when I trigger it manually.

The scan in background is pretty efficient. I was pretty skeptical about it at first, but I actually have less disk activity with it enabled than I used to running the manual scans because it can intercept the windows notifications and never needs to scan the whole subsystem.  New files pop up about thirty seconds after I drop them in the relevant directory with no other scanning to speak of (disk use immediately goes back to baseline).  Once a month some files don't get picked up properly, and I have to run a manual scan, but otherwise it works pretty well and uses less power/fewer disk cycles.  You have to be careful not to put files you don't want to be picked up in the monitored directories, but past there it's much more efficient than manual scanning for the reasons Jim mentions.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 03:28:15 pm »

MC doesn't scan the way you may expect.  It gets notifications from Windows when files are added or change.

You may be seeing the effect of a virus checker or something else.
I'm not running anything other than what's built into Windows 8 - but I have a habit of using "Run Auto-Scan Now" when my files don't show up right away - it feels like I have to wait a minute before the files show up otherwise. That might not sound a lot, but when you've just ripped 10 CDs and are wanting to edit the metadata on them, it adds up.

kstuart

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 04:19:23 pm »

" Create a new smartlist for: ~d=r "

I have one, and that's a different issue entirely.

" The scan in background is pretty efficient. "

I find that if I keep "import in background" checked, then I often have to un-do or modify imports - it will import when I am still making some changes, and then I have to find the files in the Library and change things there.

Anyway, this is all a side issue to the Original Question (which I am hoping that Matt or someone else in the dev team will see).
Pages: [1]   Go Up