INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frozen TV and stuttering audio when switching between channels  (Read 5906 times)

fobos8

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi all

I'm new to TV and I'm having several problems.

One is that when I change channel I get stuttering and repeated audio for about three seconds. For example instead of someone saying, "here it is" they say"here it is, is, is, is, is, is......". Most of the time after a few seconds all is okay. Its annoying though.

The other is that when flicking between channels using the up and down buttons on my remote every so often the video will freeze. Sometimes after a while (minute or so) it will get corrected. Other times I have to close down Media Center.

For the video problem I have tried the following settings;

RedOctober standard and HD
Hardware acceleration
Video Clock

For the audio problem I have tried;

Increasing the buffer size and maximizing the skip resistance settings.

Does JRiver keep logs anywhere? If so where?

Kind regards, Andrew

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Frozen TV and stuttering audio when switching between channels
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:06 pm »

The audio hiccups during channel changing maybe related to a known issue.  When changing channel, you create a momentary data shortage.  Depending on the settings you choose in Audio, the audio renderer may loop on the last available data.  You can try using different audio options and see if the problem would go away (Direct Sound, Kernel Streaming, WASAPI, etc.).

Regarding video freeze, does it involve video/audio format change (MPEG2 vs H264 for example)? 

Logs are not very good at catching the cause of either problems, but send on my way anyway.  yaobing at jriver dot com
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

fobos8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »

video

just now if i switch between two HD channels (H264) the video flickers back and forth between the two channels for a few seconds and then settles - there is also some pixelation and sometimes and lot of purple and green colouration
if I switch between SD channels (MPEG2) it is fairly smooth but there is some pixelation
if I switch from SD to HD the video does freeze

audio
seems okay at the moment. Don't know what I did but if the looping comes back I'll try what you suggested

Where do I find the logs?

Regards, Andrew

Yaobing

• Administrator

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »

The wiki has a topic on logging.

fobos8

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »

any idea what i should do about the frozen video?

still been getting stuttering audio. Have changed audio output mode to kernel streaming which seems okay for now - however i don't seem to have any control over the volume. What can I do to control volume levels with kernel streaming?

cheers, Andrew

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »

When changing channel, you create a momentary data shortage.  

This sounds right, Yaobing. I still experience audio hickups after repeated channel changes and I can *always* resolve the problem if I pause playback momentarily and then resume.

Messing with the audio buffer settings in MC don't seem to help.

I think for live tv (TS) playback, it could help if MC always enforced a half-second delay (or maybe less) between channel changes just to ensure sufficient data is always received before playback is resumed. I would personally much rather take a slight hit on channel change times for no stutter.

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:20 am »

MC18.0.178. In theatre view Im also getting occasional black screen /freezing occuring while viewing but more often black screen for 5 secs or longer when press stop.If it doesnt fix itself, pressing the green button twice exits and returns refreshed.If it freezes alltogether can be audio stuttering .required a reboot this morning.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 09:57:33 am »

This sounds right, Yaobing. I still experience audio hickups after repeated channel changes and I can *always* resolve the problem if I pause playback momentarily and then resume.

Messing with the audio buffer settings in MC don't seem to help.

I think for live tv (TS) playback, it could help if MC always enforced a half-second delay (or maybe less) between channel changes just to ensure sufficient data is always received before playback is resumed. I would personally much rather take a slight hit on channel change times for no stutter.

Cheers.

I agree that some tweaking is still needed and I will get to it soon.

With audio mode set to WASAPI, however, I found that Event Style makes a big difference.  Without using Event Style, I get stuttering, with it I do not.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:25:29 pm »

Agree. I always use ES and admittedly, the stutter is minor (for me) and only after repeated channel changes.

Thanks for looking into this.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up