INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Audio - Bose Stereo or Headphones  (Read 7065 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Mac Audio - Bose Stereo or Headphones
« on: May 20, 2013, 04:42:37 pm »

I can't get any audio output on my Mac outside of the built in speakers.  I have the Bose USB audio system and it doesn't work at all with MC.  I also unplug it and use the system audio, which works just fine through the built in speakers.  But when I plug my headphones into the headphone jack, I hear nothing.  The headphones plugged into laptop part is the most baffling.  The external stereo is odd but I could live without that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mac Audio - Bose Stereo or Headphones
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:49:44 pm »

Did you install a driver?

Did you choose the audio device in MC's options?

What does Bose say about working with players other than iTunes?

Here's a similar problem, but on Windows:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80681.0

benn600

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:24:35 am »

I did not have to install a driver.  I tested both default audio device and selecting built-in audio as well as Bose Audio directly.  I am reasonably sure this is what I'm using.  Supposedly it should work with any audio output, it works just fine with Flash based players (YouTube) and VLC.  I haven't had any issues with any other applications.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/digital_music_systems/computer_speakers/companion_5/index.jsp

benn600

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »

Can anyone with a MacBook Pro (2 years old) play audio through the build in speakers?  And then plug in headphones and the audio plays through the headphones?

Taking the external USB stereo out of the mix (which is totally fine with me) I still can't listen through headphones with the built-in port.  This is nothing unusual yet it doesn't work for me.  Thoughts everyone?

gasman67

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »

Hi.
Not sure if I am answering your question here but...
I too have a Bose Companion 5 USB speaker system on my iMac and for the life of me couldn't get JRiver to playback through it. Built in speakers worked OK but I kept on seeing an error pointing me to DSP settings that I didn't quite understand - long time itunes user so generally no idea..

The fix for me was to go into DSP Studio settings in MC and tick the Output box and then set the output for every line as 48,000KHz.
Since then - all good via the Bose Speakers. Not as good as via my DAC through the HiFi next door but that's another project for another day.
Hope that helps.

As to your second point, can't help. I have a 4 year old mac book pro running mountain lion and it plays back perfectly via built in speakers or headphones.

Good luck

J

benn600

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:19:07 am »

Thanks a ton gasman67! Can anyone say cloud 9?
Pages: [1]   Go Up