INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Plans to be consistent with what MC calls "library server"?  (Read 1169 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

Morning,

As I slowly work thru my revamp of our MC listening environment here - it donned on me that this whole "server" vibe in MC is not consistent at all in it's actual labeling/naming.

Under Options...It's labelled "Media Network" - as in "Use Media Network To Share this library....etc etc)
Then I see Client Options: When connected to a "Library Server"
Then I right click on the icon in my tray - and it says "Media Server"
Then out on the WIKI (http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Servers) I see this:
"Library Server, formerly called Media Server, can serve a media collection on one PC, so it can be played with another copy of MC on another PC anywhere on the Internet. "

So which is it?

Library Server? Media Server? Media Network?

I will assume that as of v18 - it's Library Server. So it would be nice if the entire interface (and anywhere this can be selected) like Tools-Options-Startup->Windows Startup

was consistent with it's naming conventions...

Run on Windows startup:

Nothing: default
  Media Center: Start Media Center only whenever Windows starts.
  Library Server: Starts the Library Server only, which runs in the background and allows to share music, etc. over a network.
  Media Center and Library Server

Apologies if I am not reading this right - but these numerous (and presumably outdated UI labels) are making this more confusing than it should be.

Cheers,

VP

It would be a lot easier for those of us trying to navigate this stuff - if we knew exactly what something is called

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

"Media Server" is the name of the low memory/resource footprint version of MC that can run in the background to support remotes, TV recording, Library Server, etc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

"Media Server" is the name of the low memory/resource footprint version of MC that can run in the background to support remotes, TV recording, Library Server, etc.

And Library Server is? Same? Or different?

According to the WIKI?

"Library Server, formerly called Media Server, can serve a media collection on one PC, so it can be played with another copy of MC on another PC anywhere on the Internet. "

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Library Server is the name of the server that serves an MC library and provides MCWS (Gizmo, JRemote, etc.).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

Library Server is the name of the server that serves an MC library and provides MCWS (Gizmo, JRemote, etc.).

OK so...

Media Network - Is all encompassing - meaning everything that MC can offer any sort of "client" using a variety of "servers" etc
Library Server = \\MEDIA-PC or \\HOMESERVER etc - the actual given computer name of a PC "serving" up an MC library
Media Server = That little doodad in the tray - a minimal version of MC - just for client connection purposes.

Got it!

VP

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Pages: [1]   Go Up