INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which HTPC cases are compatible wth JRiver software?  (Read 4935 times)

gregtheis

• Recent member
Which HTPC cases are compatible wth JRiver software?
« on: May 30, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »

I have been doing some on line research and am ready to purchase a high end case. The Silverstone CW02 and CW03 are on my short list but I want to make sure I can use the JRiver software for all the functions including the display options.  Mainly I want it for high end audio to Replace a single disc Wadia CD player. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
Greg

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Which HTPC cases are compatible wth JRiver software?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 06:49:00 pm »

MC doesn't support any of those little LCD displays out of the box (I don't think), but it would absolutely be possible to get it going with some elbow grease.  Check the forums (particularly the third party and hardware boards)... Someone might have already done the heavy lifting.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 06:53:26 pm »

It has been done on the Third Party board, but I don't remember the details. 

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 07:50:01 pm »

Thanks Jim. I guess I will look into it further before I commit.
Greg

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »

I was thinking your way at first but I decided on configuring a custom case based on the iStar D-400 series.
http://www.istarusa.com/istarusa/

It is infinitely configurable to your liking (including a built in 8" touch screen display if you really want one) and will likely never run out of space inside. I put this in a 19" eqiuipment rack with a 1080p flat panel display on top. I'm not constrained to a tiny display screen and I do not need to fire up a projector or big TV to display JRiver or manage the PC. Actually, most of the time, an iPad makes a great control interface with JRemote software.

I used modern 4 pin PWM speed controlled (slow) case fans, a fan-less power supply, no graphics card, and solid state drives for completely silent running.

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:41:10 pm »

Thanks for a great suggestion. I just bought a Samsung Tab10 and will plan on using it with the HTPC so I won't have to mess around with all the display compatibility issues.
Greg

Ekpen

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:22:45 pm »

Greetings:
This is what I am building mine on.
I just ordered a panasonic Pan uj-265A slim design BD 3D burner. I have to give a away 5 .25 format LG drive. This is just to improve the air flow and overall cooling system.

Mine is a combination of liquid cooling and Air.
It has an x58a Asus mobo with 24 gig of memory, 30 TB of hard drive. I was able to fit in 6 HDs and the rest 4 hd have to be housed in an external Sata/USB drive.
I plan on using Winows 8 Pro (64 bit)
I am devoting the entire HTPC for MC 18, and nothing else except the OS and a few utilities.
The 12 inches Screen is 1080P capable. I have seen the glamor of the screen. It is gorgeous.
I have a pair of Nvidia GTX 9800 X2 dual graphic card making it QUAD GPU. I do not know if this will be too much, if it is, I will remove one card.
The Origenae company has to send me a new Imon VFD or so which I put in the case myself. My case came with the old philips IR.
Here is the link.

www.origenae.com/en/htpc_s21t.htm

George

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »

Sounds like you got it figured out George. More good ideas to research. Thanks for your input. Let me know how it works out.
Thanks
Greg

dean70

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:21:21 am »

I used a SilverStone LC16M: http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=81&area=en  which also has the capacity of 6x internal hdd's. The VFD will work with the plugin available in the Third-party section of the board. Have also setup the transport controls on the front of the unit to control playback, volume, etc in MC.

I currently have 2xHDD installed, but running out of space and leaning towards a NAS solution instead due to the noise and vibration, which will only get louder after adding more hard drives.

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:02:38 am »

So you were able to use the Silverstone with a display and the JRiver software. That's what I wanted to do too but as you can read in the replies everyone else seems to be using other designs. In a perfect world I would like to be able to use the HTPC like my old Sony DVD disc changer which allows me to use the display on the unit or my big screen using their remote. Now with the notepads we have the option to use them as a remote and for programming etc. The large display sounds like a must for my 50 year old eyes.
The display issue I guess comes down to "old dog new tricks" Thanks for your input. Between all of these replies I'm going to put together a great HTPC.
Greg

Ekpen

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 10:33:53 am »

Sounds like you got it figured out George. More good ideas to research. Thanks for your input. Let me know how it works out.
Thanks
Greg
The new Imon VFD works with any of the recent 3rd party types that we already have. The beauty of the Origenae is the screen which slides out and let you use the USB ports. It is also very heavy- made of aircraft aluminium. It accepts  standard atx board.
The case will also come with a special remote that will control the Imon VFD. It is a very well designed remote with lots of menus.
If you are going with this, I will suggest you  add liquid cooling, the Corsair Hydro 70 or 75 or so, with a combination of Fans.
When I powered mine up for about ten minutes, it feels like a refrigerator inside the case. It is QUIET. It will make your Media Center  set up look beautiful.

George.

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 07:56:04 pm »

George I checked out the Originae website. Very nice. Which model did you go with? Also what power supply or was it included? This combo sounds like it will accomplish what I'm trying to do. I'm also concerned about outgrowing the space so I like the bigger cases.
Greg

Ekpen

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 08:43:09 pm »

I have the S21T- black. If possible get it with an extractor module. It uses standard PS. I have in mine a 1200 watts .
I am using Silverstone ST1200- Strider. I like it very much.
I  have as the mobo Asus P6X58-Epro with 24 gig of memory.
I have 10 Hard drives, 6 internal and 4 external Seagate and Western Digital model all 3TB drives.
In the case , I have two Nvidia gtx 9800 x2 gpus making it a Quad. I may remove one card if it creates a problem with cooling. Because of this, I invested in Corsair Hydro 70 or 75 and also invested in Fan 90 mm fans. The case is really cool inside.

The reason why I am stressing good cooling  venting or dissipation of hot air in the system in this build is that I have a 5.25 LG burner, in order for me not to compromise the system, I face reality by going with a slim design burner, if I do not see the 5.25 LG in my hardware bin, I will not be tempted to include it in my setup. Cooling in this compact desktop is very important, especially with the type of graphic card(s) installed.
 Ventilation with good airflow is a must.

My Slimdesign Pan UJ 265 came in today, I forgot to order a special cable and a single or combo slim to 5.25 kit.
dg-23301 or dg23401 kit for a slim design burner from Digistor.com
In USA the S21T White or black can be ordered from Amazon.com or  from  www.shop.perfecthometheater.com
Talk to Zygmunt Woyewoda.
bye.
George

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 09:55:27 pm »

Excuse my pedantry but what's the definition of an "HTPC Case"?

Does it have to include a Vacuum Fluoro Display because Silverstone doesn't seem to think so:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=241

Or is it a case that has the same look and feel as your component stack and has the right aesthetics and lines that an audiophile would approve?

By the broadest definition, why wouldn't any old PC case qualify as long as it's got home theatre software loaded inside?

My personal take on an HTPC case is that it's not much chop if it has noisy fans whirring inside because it's throwing a lot of heat. To that end, I'm big on a silent solution and I sourced my case from:
http://www.hd-plex.com
Larry, the business owner, hasn't produced a VFD compatible case but some owners on the HD-Plex forum have talked about it. Given Larry's inclusive style, this option may turn up in the long term. In the short term, I can vouch for the looks, concept and build quality of the H3 case.

This post reviews other manufacturers:
http://www.kulture.com.au/10-of-the-best-passively-cooled-hpc-cases/
For the record, I concur with the reviewer's comment about HD-Plex case availability. I had the same experience because when I was ready to buy mine, there were no models in my colour on the shelf. My hip pocket nerve kept me patient for the HD-Plex unit and in my case, it's been worth the wait. I'd also point out that Larry is very quick to help owners (after sales service) and prospective owners as best he can. Given that he's based in California and I'm down under in the "Lucky Country", he's backed me up for a range of issues quickly and comprehensively.

So, there's another perspective to think about ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:26:40 pm »

By the broadest definition, why wouldn't any old PC case qualify as long as it's got home theatre software loaded inside?

To follow on from my point about pedantry, how can any PC case be "incompatible" with MC anyway? Unlike, say a DAC, MC doesn't interface with the case unless you've got a VFD involved. What have I missed?

When I first saw this topic subject my initial response was a mix of  :-\  and  ?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 12:38:41 am »

To follow on from my point about pedantry, how can any PC case be "incompatible" with MC anyway? Unlike, say a DAC, MC doesn't interface with the case unless you've got a VFD involved. What have I missed?

When I first saw this topic subject my initial response was a mix of  :-\  and  ?

Hi astromo, lol, I had a similar initial response....a HTPC case for MC, huh  ?

I am merrily following along as I need to build a HTPC at some point. I guess, as you have implied, the relevance of MC is in being able to interface with a video display incorporated into the case....but still havent worked this out.That would be via the gpu wouldnt it ?

To all the posters, thanks for all the good advice  :)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 01:01:28 am »

Hi astromo, lol, I had a similar initial response....a HTPC case for MC, huh  ?

I am merrily following along as I need to build a HTPC at some point. I guess, as you have implied, the relevance of MC is in being able to interface with a video display incorporated into the case....but still havent worked this out.That would be via the gpu wouldnt it ?

To all the posters, thanks for all the good advice  :)

Thanks for the reassurance. I was wondering whether a B-52 had flown overhead and I hadn't noticed ...  :D

If you weren't able to make a VFD work with your case, there's always this sort of option (be it touch or non-touch):
http://www.mimomonitors.com/
with the next step being a wireless deal that is one step short of tablet control... so hmmmm ... what to do?   :-\

gregtheis

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »

Interesting responses. Yes I'm a neophite on this but the display issue is exactly what I'm trying to resolve.  Lots of great ideas.I'm learning and glad I joined.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 03:22:18 am »

Interesting responses. Yes I'm a neophite <snip>

Was not being disparaging, just expressing confusion and happily learning  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up