INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import of bad files  (Read 4185 times)

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Import of bad files
« on: June 02, 2013, 07:41:00 am »

I got this when I first did my import.  I don't know why it will not import these "bad" files.  Any ideas?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import of bad files
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:28:36 pm »

If you copy one of these "bad" files to your local hard disk on the Mac, it import and play ok?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 05:49:41 pm »

If you copy one of these "bad" files to your local hard disk on the Mac, it import and play ok?
Yes, and plays from iTunes / PM fine too.
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:47:12 pm »

I'd like to revive this topic, since I also have many (~ 1500, if I recall correctly) ALAC files which will not import and are not even recognized as media files when trying "Open Media File". All these files play in iTunes, Quicktime, or any other player I have ever tried.

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 03:44:38 pm »

I don't want to be a pest, but I know no way to get help from JRiver other than by posting here. Would it be helpful to make one of my "bad" files available to you?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »

What version are you using?  18.0.195 is available at the top of this board.

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:15:10 am »

Thanks. I downloaded 18.0.195 and tried again. I tried "Open Media File" and got the message "Warning. There is nothing to play." I then played the file in Quicktime.

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 07:52:12 pm »

Could you make one of these files available via Dropbox or similar?  You can email me the link at johnt at jriver dot com.
Thanks!

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 02:58:12 am »

Thanks -- I've sent a dropbox link.

ronfint

• Recent member
Update
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 08:38:26 am »

Yesterday I examined some of these 1500 'bad' files. What they all have in common is that they were converted, mostly to ALAC, by Sound Studio 3, which must have done something that is incompatible with JRiver MC. For some of these files I tried ALAC -> ALAC using XLD, and this cured the problem. It would be great, though, if this incompatibility could be fixed in MC.

By the way, there is absolutely no issue with files converted by Sound Studio 4, the current version, back in the hands of Felt Tip. They work perfectly.

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 10:11:40 am »

Can you try dropboxing one of those bad files again?  The last link didn't work for some reason. Thanks!

Arindelle

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 11:39:53 am »

In your screenshot it says M4P files .. really don't know about jriver for mac so sorry for butting in  :P...

but in the PC version if you don't have itunes authorize the computer (with itunes installed), can't listen to those file types.  As I refuse to put itunes on my main PC for music, they are considered "bad" in MC, however I can still import them, they just don't play ...

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:16 pm »

The ones ronfint was having trouble with are m4a files produced by "Sound Studio 3".  These contained a questionable "alac" atom with some invalid values.  We've changed our decoder to be more forgiving and ignore these bad values.  This change will be in the next build (18.0202 or greater) and should make these files playable in Media Center (both Mac and Windows).  Thanks for providing the sample file.

JohnT

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 01:48:42 pm »

In your screenshot it says M4P files .. really don't know about jriver for mac so sorry for butting in  :P...

but in the PC version if you don't have itunes authorize the computer (with itunes installed), can't listen to those file types.  As I refuse to put itunes on my main PC for music, they are considered "bad" in MC, however I can still import them, they just don't play ...
You're right about the files jtwrace was having trouble with - I hadn't noticed the 'm4p' file type in the screen dump.

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 03:31:03 pm »

Thanks very much for your help, John! I'll look forward to the next build.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »

Thanks very much for your help, John! I'll look forward to the next build.
+1

My podcast:

ronfint

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:03:27 pm »

18.0202 cleared up all problems for me. Thanks again.

vq6shadow

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:08 am »

I'm having trouble importing M4a files. Whenever I try to import a folder, no files come through. JRiver log is attached. Updated to .206 but still not working.

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 08:15:50 am »

I'm having trouble importing M4a files. Whenever I try to import a folder, no files come through. JRiver log is attached. Updated to .206 but still not working.
If you'd be willing to dropbox one of those problem m4a files to us, we can probably fix the issue.

vq6shadow

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 02:07:49 pm »

Dropbox link sent.

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 12:48:02 pm »

Dropbox link sent.
I couldn't get that file (1-02b.m4a) to play in any player I tried here (iTunes, Media Center, VLC, Foobar, Quicktime).  Are you able to play it with something?

vq6shadow

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 07:55:50 pm »

Good point. I checked and only some of the files from the CDs, it's an audiobook, can play on iTunes and Poweramp. Other m4as, not from this audiobook seem to play ok and were imported so I'm guessing at this point, I should try to redo the audiobook using something like XLD and see what happens. Thanks for trying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up