INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCM playback problem with Mytek...but DSD OK!?  (Read 1462 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
PCM playback problem with Mytek...but DSD OK!?
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:25:31 am »

PCM playback had not been a problem with MC18v158 on Win7-64bit over USB2.0 to Mytek.  Was excited when got DSD and 2xDSD running using ASIO/DSD...sounds great.

Revisited 44.1 PCM playback and seem to have picked up distortion/noise almost like a speaker cone breaking up (which is not the case) and cannot figure out why.  96/24 seems to play without issue as does DSD.
Would appreciate any thoughts on what I might be missing setup-wise...

Also, noticed that when playing 44.1/16, clicking on the format button(?) on upper right of MC menu bar shows that files are being output as 32bit.
Do not understand why this is happening since I am not (intentionally) changing settings for this or see where it even could be changed.
Is this SOP for MC18 to make this change?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: PCM playback problem with Mytek...but DSD OK!?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:28:40 am »

Well, the first thing anyone is going to recommend, is updating to the latest version.

Media Center will output the maximum bit-depth supported by your hardware at all times.
Usually noise breaking up is a result of the buffer settings being wrong for the device.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 11:36:24 am »

Mis-spoke.  Actually have MC18v189 which MC says is "Up to date" when I go to "Check for updates" under "Tools"...even tho' site says latest is v193.  When I tried to execute the *.mjr file previously downloaded, popup asked if I wanted to update with Registration (I assume since I am beyond the 14 day window).  Last couple of times I went this route, I chewed up 2 of 10 restores and am now down to 3.

So, how do I update without exhausting any more restores.

re Bit Depth, thanks.  Just was not sure if this might be causing the distortion.

I am under the understanding that Buffer setting is more responsible for dropouts/skips rather than distortion but maybe that is not the case.  I have buffer set for lowest (0.02 seconds) which indicates "Most Responsive".  Have also deactivated the "Use large hardware buffers" after reading advisory NOTE on Latency.  I do not believe that there was audible improvement in distortion with larger buffer setting and/or activation of "large hardware buffer".

PC system (quad-core i5 CPU, 8GB ram) is dedicated to music service so would not expect it to have this much problem single-tasking.

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 12:04:00 pm »

I am under the understanding that Buffer setting is more responsible for dropouts/skips rather than distortion but maybe that is not the case.  I have buffer set for lowest (0.02 seconds) which indicates "Most Responsive".  Have also deactivated the "Use large hardware buffers" after reading advisory NOTE on Latency.  I do not believe that there was audible improvement in distortion with larger buffer setting and/or activation of "large hardware buffer".

PC system (quad-core i5 CPU, 8GB ram) is dedicated to music service so would not expect it to have this much problem single-tasking.
It depends on the device and the playback method. If I set the ASIO buffer too low, my DAC starts sounding really weird, rather than just having audio dropping out, or pops & clicks during playback.

If it's just too low, it mostly sounds fine, but I get pops and clicks when there is high CPU usage.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:51:14 pm »

When I tried to execute the *.mjr file previously downloaded, popup asked if I wanted to update with Registration (I assume since I am beyond the 14 day window).  Last couple of times I went this route, I chewed up 2 of 10 restores and am now down to 3.

So, how do I update without exhausting any more restores.
If you just download and install an update, nothing should be required for the license.  The existing license should work.  Don't run the mjr file again.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »

If you just download and install an update, nothing should be required for the license.  The existing license should work.  Don't run the mjr file again.

OK, will see what happens.  You'll be the second to know...  ;-)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »

OK, will see what happens.  You'll be the second to know...  ;-)

BTW, going to JRiver site under Download (Windows), site says that Ver 18.0.175 is the latest...not 193.

Please advise.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:58 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Updates" that will explain why.
Pages: [1]   Go Up