INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any solution for Media Server (standalone) on Linux/Ubuntu?  (Read 17646 times)

JeffBerry

First off, I want to thank you guys for J River. I have been using the software for 6-7 years now and would never use anything else. I have a music collection of over 150,000 songs and J River has helped me to perfectly organize it, and makes it enjoyable to listen to daily. No other program gets as much runtime as J River. Thank you again, really.

My question is this - and I've seen it discussed a few places here on the forums, but I figure since progress is being made in porting J River over to different platforms there may be more insight now; is it possible or are there any solutions to running the Media Server / DLNA server portion of J River standalone? I have a Ubuntu driven HTPC/Server that hosts all my media. I am able to share J Rivers library between computers over the NAS, but I would like to have a DLNA server running 24/7 so my music is available on the road as well. My other computer is a laptop so having it on 24/7 running the server doesn't work. Are there any plans to at least make the Media Server portion standalone, that way I could maybe use Wine or something similar for Ubuntu to run it? I would be willing to pay a separate decent amount for this feature. Currently I am running MiniDLNA and it's broadcasting my media folder, but J River just gives those amazing options of being able to organize how the DLNA is displayed and... well, I just love JR and would rather use it :)

Any insight would be great, maybe there's some of you in the same boat that have a solution?

Thanks,
Jeff

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Any solution for Media Server (standalone) on Linux/Ubuntu?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:55:46 am »

Thanks for the kind words.

We have talked about a Linux version, but we're still cleaning up the work we did on Mac and so it would be difficult to open another big project right now.

You can run Media Server alone on Linux by using Wine.  That should work without problems.  Read about "Servers" on our wiki.

For on the road listening, you could use Gizmo.
Pages: [1]   Go Up