INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 - Searching in 3D Album View Causes Crashes  (Read 3193 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Windows 8 - Searching in 3D Album View Causes Crashes
« on: June 14, 2013, 02:24:11 pm »

I am experiencing a consistent crash in Windows 8 64bit (I don't have a 32 bit to test). Running Media Center 18.0.195 but have noted the problem from previous versions going back to earlier this year. When in "Standard View" with "3D Albums" showing a wall of album art, any query in the search box for anything will cause Media Center to exit memory. I have experience the same crash with installs on a PC, two different laptops, and in Parallels on a MacBook Pro. The instability is also irrespective of audio output mode (WASAPI, ASIO, Direct, etc) or media file type. Let me know if I can supply more info. Thx.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Windows 8 - Searching in 3D Album View Causes Crashes
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 02:36:29 pm »

If you're seeing this on Wiindows, without Parallels involved, it is most likely a video driver problem.  You could try updating.  Parallels may be a different story.

Does it happen in anything but a 3D mode?

Djobydjoba

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 05:14:21 am »

Hi,

I'm a French guy, new to JRiver, testing it intensively for several days, I love it !

Same consistent crash for me in 3D albums with query box (or customize view). With Windows 7 64 bit (and Intel HD Graphics 3000)

No problem with 3D visualizations and Theater View though.

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 04:21:24 pm »

For a little more detail, I have tested four physical machines either via dual-boot or separately loading Windows 7 and then 8. I do not seem to have a problem with the 3D Album view and searching on any machine (including the MacBook Pro in Parallels) with Windows 7.  Also, 3D Album view works fine in Windows 8 to browse and play anything in any of my many 3D views as long as I don’t use search.

In contrast, I have the same immediate notification that Media Center quit working on all systems when running Windows 8 as soon as I initial search in any 3D Album view.  And, for the last permutation, search in Windows 8 works fine in any non-3D Album view mode.  Also, all media plays fine from 44.1k to 192k in either Win 7 or 8 and I have tested both direct mode and WASAPI.

I have all drivers and updates on all machines up to date which are: a desktop PC with an Asus Z77-based mainboard with 32GB RAM and nVidia GTX-650; a 3 year old HP laptop 12inch TouchSmart convertible laptop/tablet with an AMD Turion with 8GB RAM and ATI graphics; the MacBook Pro (Retina model) with 16GB RAM running Bootcamp with an nVidia mobile GPU; the fourth system is an Intel NUC box with 8 GB RAM with the Intel 4000 graphics subsystem.  For the record, I mentioned the MacBook Pro with Parallels only because I also have Win 7 & 8 VMs to test with in that environment for one more data point.

Again, I have observed this behavior for the last few months and most recently tested with 18.0.195. Thx.

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:04:04 pm »

All's well that ends well.  All instability issues with Win 8 and search in 3D Album View are fixed in all environments that were previously tested and reported. Good job, thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up