INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a point at which a collection becomes too large for Media Center 18?  (Read 10093 times)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

I have approximately 1.5 tb of compressed (mp3 and mp4), uncompressed (FLAC), and hi-res (FLAC) files on a NAS.  Until about a week ago, when I ripped to my NAS about seventy five or so CDs into FLAC, Media Center 18 was acceptably stable.  (It would crash every so often, but not unduly so and could be recovered quickly.)  Now, I simply cannot run it at all.  Every keystroke to the search dialogue box brings a risk of a "non-responsive" state that does not seem to go away.  I finally completely uninstalled and reinstalled 18.0.201 from scratch, letting it recreate the library from scratch as well.  The very first time I tried to search, I got as far as the "A" in "Art Blakey" before it become unresponsive and brought up the Windows * dialogue box asking me if I wished to wait or to terminate.  

My hardware consists of a Dell XPS400 Pentium D 3.0 ghz processor with 4 gb RAM, running Windows 8 at 32-bits.  I believe that 4 gb is as much memory as the motherboard supports on this old device, but I also don't think that anything is being tapped out excessively in terms of resources, either.  Before I uninstalled and reinstalled, I watched the resources meter in Win 8.  There were no strains on CPU or RAM at all.

Did my collection simply get too large or is there anything else I should be investigating to make Media Center usable again?  I don't seem to have the software that is discussed in the "oddball issue" FAQ's, but my system does seem to run a large number of processes at any given time.  All guidance appreciated.  

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Your collection isn't too large. I have seen 40+ TB libraries handled just fine, including 17K+ video files and 39k+ audio files. You may want to check ant-virus software for settings that might affect the library, including network settings.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Will do that, although I've been using Media Center for a year or two now and definitely made no changes to AV or other settings since it stopped working reliably.  Thank you for the suggestion. 

shAf

Try building another independent library, beginning with the most recent tracks added since your system last ran without problems.

Did this computer come with Win8?  Why 32bit?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Would you be willing to email a library backup to logs (at) jriver (dot) com?

We'll test the same on our side and see if we can reproduce the lag.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

Your collection isn't too large. I have seen 40+ TB libraries handled just fine, including 17K+ video files and 39k+ audio files. You may want to check ant-virus software for settings that might affect the library, including network settings.

I dont think it is a matter of disc size that could potentially cause problems.  It is the number of files...... possibly.  Although I dont think he has eclipsed MC's capabilities.  There might be a theoretical limit but I dont think Ive read anyone nearing it on a "modern" computer.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Try building another independent library, beginning with the most recent tracks added since your system last ran without problems.

Did this computer come with Win8?  Why 32bit?

The computer, which is old, came with XP, but, if anything it's been more stable and responsive with W8 than XP.  When I upgraded and was given a choice of going 32 or 64 bits.  I recall at the time that 32 bits was the recommended installation for those with "legacy" sytems.  If it makes a difference in stability, I certainly could try going to 64 bits and see if my computer has the horsepower to handle it.

Good idea about the second library with the new tracks.  I will give that a try as soon as I build a log as requested in another post here.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Would you be willing to email a library backup to logs (at) jriver (dot) com?

We'll test the same on our side and see if we can reproduce the lag.

Thanks.

I will try to do so tonight or tomorrow night.  Thank you for offering to review it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks for the library.  It's running pretty fast here, but I'm testing a fast machine.

A couple other questions:
What view is particularly slow?  Audio > Recent Albums was the last used view, so that's what I'm testing.  I'm typing 'A', then 'r', then 't' in the search box slowly and watching performance.

Would you run Help > Benchmark and report the final JRMark number?

Thanks.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Thanks for the library.  It's running pretty fast here, but I'm testing a fast machine.

A couple other questions:
What view is particularly slow?  Audio > Recent Albums was the last used view, so that's what I'm testing.  I'm typing 'A', then 'r', then 't' in the search box slowly and watching performance.

Would you run Help > Benchmark and report the final JRMark number?

Thanks.

Matt, thanks for the followup.  What's slow is search.  I type a letter and MC hangs or, worse, I get the W8 "this app is not responding; what do you want to do?" error message.  Waiting a moment or so allows me to enter the next letter in the search stream, usually.  A few times, MC's just frozen at that time. 

Regarding the benchmark: neat function; did not realize it was there.  Here's the full report:

=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 13.953 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 8.908 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 14.300 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 9.516 seconds
Score: 407

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.710 seconds
    Flood filling... 1.937 seconds
    Direct copying... 3.241 seconds
    Small renders... 4.645 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 6.056 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 4.109 seconds
Score: 1063

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 1.693 seconds
    Populate database... 6.879 seconds
    Save database... 2.506 seconds
    Reload database... 0.367 seconds
    Search database... 3.578 seconds
    Sort database... 2.636 seconds
    Group database... 1.899 seconds
Score: 1099

JRMark (version 18.0.201): 856

Let me know what else you need. 

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Your computer is a bit on the slow side.  It's putting up JRMark database scores about 1/6 as fast as a new computer.  That means a 1 second task takes 6 seconds on your machine.

That combined with a large library makes a suboptimal mix.

But what view are you in when it's especially slow?  The 'Audio > Recent' view loads in about 1/2 a second for me and the search box updates in about 1/10 of a second.  Multiply by six for an older computer and it's still not that slow.  So I'm wondering if I'm not testing the same thing?

I did manage to find a couple little optimizations while testing, but we're in a stability push for v18, so they won't be made public for a while.

MrC

Also, if there is an A/V in the mix, configure it to ignore JRiver's processes and media locations.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Your computer is a bit on the slow side.  It's putting up JRMark database scores about 1/6 as fast as a new computer.  That means a 1 second task takes 6 seconds on your machine.

That combined with a large library makes a suboptimal mix.

But what view are you in when it's especially slow?  The 'Audio > Recent' view loads in about 1/2 a second for me and the search box updates in about 1/10 of a second.  Multiply by six for an older computer and it's still not that slow.  So I'm wondering if I'm not testing the same thing?

I did manage to find a couple little optimizations while testing, but we're in a stability push for v18, so they won't be made public for a while.

Matt, it's not only a "slow" problem, it's that the non-responding thing makes it unstable.  It also was crashing out repeatedly until I uninstalled and reinstalled, but I haven't been able to use it much since I reinstalled, so I don't know if that behavior persists.  In any event, the annoying slow search occurs when I search in any view that polls the entire library.

I know this is an old computer, but at the Computer Audiophile site I keep reading about CAPS servers with Atom processors and Vortexboxes with ARM processors.  My hardware, while primitive compared to what's in PC's now, is heavier duty than those so I am a bit baffled.  However, if buying a faster computer is the answer, that's an easy one for me to solve. This one is old and I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Matt, it's not only a "slow" problem, it's that the non-responding thing makes it unstable.  It also was crashing out repeatedly until I uninstalled and reinstalled, but I haven't been able to use it much since I reinstalled, so I don't know if that behavior persists.  In any event, the annoying slow search occurs when I search in any view that polls the entire library.

You'll get a "not responding" popup whenever Windows sees an app that doesn't process a message for a few seconds.  So if we're stuck doing something slow, Windows can step in.  While stalling the main thread is always bad form, we're not really hung in this case.

If you're having a full-off crash (boom, it goes away or shows a crash dialog), then there's some other problem.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

You'll get a "not responding" popup whenever Windows sees an app that doesn't process a message for a few seconds.  So if we're stuck doing something slow, Windows can step in.  While stalling the main thread is always bad form, we're not really hung in this case.

If you're having a full-off crash (boom, it goes away or shows a crash dialog), then there's some other problem.

It was because of outright crashes that I uninstalled and reinstalled, per the error dialogues that popped up whenever I tried restarting.  Since I haven't been able to spend time at my home computer since doing that over the weekend, I don't know if that problem persists, but it did recur the very first time I tried to use the new copy with the newly-created library replacing the original one.  I'll try playing with MC tonight and see if the crashes recur or we only are dealing with a slowness issue that could be resolved by more hardware horsepower.

It would be really nice if whatever process is stalling the main thread could be decoupled from the main UI. Media Center being reported as "frozen" happens more than I would like. (e.g. waiting for drives to spin up, loading a maintenance view which includes my entire library, pausing/stopping playback when it's set to fade out rather than immediately etc.)

I realize that probably requires some architectural change that won't appear in MC18 though.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

It was because of outright crashes that I uninstalled and reinstalled, per the error dialogues that popped up whenever I tried restarting.  Since I haven't been able to spend time at my home computer since doing that over the weekend, I don't know if that problem persists, but it did recur the very first time I tried to use the new copy with the newly-created library replacing the original one.  I'll try playing with MC tonight and see if the crashes recur or we only are dealing with a slowness issue that could be resolved by more hardware horsepower.

I've been derailed by other tasks (clearing three rooms of furniture and belongings for floor refinishing), so have not been able to devote a lot of time to this issue.  However, outright crashes have continued.  After two or three search efforts, the app just shuts down.  It starts up fine and is usable until I do a few searches (which continue to be slow, slow, slow) and then it crashes again.  Pretty predictable behavior, for sure.

From the last note from a moderator, I gather that my machine simply does not have the horsepower i need for as much music as I am trying to manage.  (For one thing, I believe that I have more than 4 gb physical memory but that W8 32-bits recognizes only the 4 gb.)  What is the current minimum recommended Windows PC configuration for a collection like mine?  Does running 64-bits W8 result in better operation generally (in which case, it might be worth my while to reformat, install the 64-bit version, and reinstall all apps.) 

Anything else that I am missing here?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Somebody mentioned security software.  Would you be willing to disable any middleware programs (virus, internet, etc. scanners) and see if it makes any difference?

I'm confused about why it's SO slow, because it's just not that slow when I test the same library and your machine's library benchmark isn't that bad.

What does memory usage look like in Task Manager for MC?  I would expect it to stay under 500MB in all cases with your library.

You could also turn on logging (Help > Logging) and mail a crash log to logs {at} jriver (dot) com.  It might contain a clue.

Thanks for your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team

Sounds like AV or disk access problems to me.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

The only AV I am using on this machine is Windows Defender.  I figure that's pretty vanilla, but I can turn it off when I am not on the internet and let you know.

Maybe disc access is the issue.  The library itself is stored on a NAS, connected by ethernet cable to the same gigabit router as is the computer in question, also by ethernet cable.  If I had everything on a local library on one of the computer's internal drives, is that typically better? 

BryanC

• MC Beta Team

If you can, store the library locally and leave your media on the NAS. It's also possible your NAS is spinning down.

MrC

Also be sure to understand that A/V software uses a different set triggers and heuristics when network-based resources are accessed vs. local ones.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

MC likes a fast drive to hold its library.

So when possible, it's good to put your MC library on your fastest drive.

Since you're having performance troubles, it's definitely worth moving the library to your fastest drive just to see if it helps.  Please let us know if it makes any difference.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

MC likes a fast drive to hold its library.

So when possible, it's good to put your MC library on your fastest drive.

Since you're having performance troubles, it's definitely worth moving the library to your fastest drive just to see if it helps.  Please let us know if it makes any difference.

Unfortunately, my fast drives are dedicated to backup work and aren't large enough for me to add this library.  Unless I get another external drive, I won't be able to undertake this particular test.

I might splurge on a new 3 or 4 TB external drive if I can find one that is 7200 rpm and affordable, but on this particular machine I am limited to USB 2.0.  Perhaps it's time to retire this old veteran and purchase something with greater processor power, 8 or more GB RAM, the ability to handle large internal drives, and more modern ports for use with external backup drives.  What would be the minimum processor to target, assuming that my collection is only going to get larger as I add more HD files?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Unfortunately, my fast drives are dedicated to backup work and aren't large enough for me to add this library.  Unless I get another external drive, I won't be able to undertake this particular test.

The library is just the .jmd files you mailed me.  In your case, it was like 13.5 MB.

It's fine if the media itself is on slowish drives.

Also, I'd still like to see a log of a slow search and crash (Help > Logging).

Thanks.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

The library is just the .jmd files you mailed me.  In your case, it was like 13.5 MB.

It's fine if the media itself is on slowish drives.

Thanks.

Ah, okay. The library is on the internal drive, which is a 7200 rpm 320gb.  So that's about as fast I will get with a mechanical drive.

I will turn on logging.  Sorry.  Mean to do that earlier.  Thanks for the reminder.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Thanks.

Matt, I tried emailing a crash log zip from AOL, but the zip file size exceeded the 25mb AOL limit for attachments.  I therefore just put in my dropbox public folder and emailed the link to you instead.  Please let me know if you need more from me.  Thanks for your help.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I took a look at the log, and it may be crashing when thumbnailing DRM protected Apple files using the QuickTime engine.

For example:
M:\Music\iTunes00\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Compilations\Exclusive\01 Insanity.m4p

To test, would you remove m4p files from your library and see if it helps the crashing (and maybe even performance, since I think QuickTime is hanging in JRWorker.exe and we're hard-killing it after a 30 second timeout)?

(ps. Please keep the log on your Dropbox for a few more days so I can download it from work as well and look at the timing information in more detail.)

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

I took a look at the log, and it may be crashing when thumbnailing DRM protected Apple files using the QuickTime engine.

For example:
M:\Music\iTunes00\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Compilations\Exclusive\01 Insanity.m4p

To test, would you remove m4p files from your library and see if it helps the crashing (and maybe even performance, since I think QuickTime is hanging in JRWorker.exe and we're hard-killing it after a 30 second timeout)?

(ps. Please keep the log on your Dropbox for a few more days so I can download it from work as well and look at the timing information in more detail.)

I am headed out of town for most of this week, so can't keep too close an eye on this.  I'll move the m4p's out of the library and then disable autoimport so they don't get brought back in afterwards.  (I was at Apple for a dozen years, so have lots of the m4p's, many of which are just the freebies of the week from the store.  I mostly won't miss the freebies.  However, there are some "Tunes Exclusives" that I'd like to be able to restore at some point.)

EDIT:  Done.  I searched for .m4p, deleted all results, and configured auto-import to point at nothing.  However, the "import media" function is running now.  I assume that, with no import directory specified, I assume it won't add the .m4p's back.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Your log shows almost 1 million records in the library:

For example, loading the file size field:
344561124: 2704: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: File Size; Files: 992936; Pointer bytes: 1895804; Data bytes: 444320; Elapsed ms: 106.353

The backup you sent me has 89,409 entries.

So something isn't right.  Either I don't have a real backup, or something is running away adding stuff.

Try turning off auto-import (Options > Library & Folders) and Media Network (Options > Media Network).  Unplug any connected handheld devices.

We need to figure out where all those library records are coming from.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Your log shows almost 1 million records in the library:

For example, loading the file size field:
344561124: 2704: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: File Size; Files: 992936; Pointer bytes: 1895804; Data bytes: 444320; Elapsed ms: 106.353

The backup you sent me has 89,409 entries.

So something isn't right.  Either I don't have a real backup, or something is running away adding stuff.

Try turning off auto-import (Options > Library & Folders) and Media Network (Options > Media Network).  Unplug any connected handheld devices.

We need to figure out where all those library records are coming from.

I turned off auto-import and the server as suggested.  What do I do next? 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I turned off auto-import and the server as suggested.  What do I do next? 

See if performance increases.

Create a smartlist with the rule ~a (using Import/Export).  How many files?  Once it slows down, then how many files?

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

See if performance increases.

Create a smartlist with the rule ~a (using Import/Export).  How many files?  Once it slows down, then how many files?

Sorry for being a dummy, but how do I create that smartlist?  My choices seem to be import OR export.  Once I choose one or the other, do I just then type "~a"?

With respect to performance, I just used a stopwatch.  From the "recently added" screen, I typed in "Charles Lloyd."  It took a few seconds for just the "c" to appear and then 37 seconds for the rest of "charles lloyd" to appear.  When it did, it popped immediately, but it sure took a long time to get there.  This is typical of the performance I got both before and after disabling auto-import and media server.  I do not perceive a difference.

With respect to stability, too early to tell.  No crashes yet, but I just made the changes yesterday and haven't been able to play with the application since then.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Sorry for being a dummy, but how do I create that smartlist?  My choices seem to be import OR export.  Once I choose one or the other, do I just then type "~a"?

Yes.  It's a single button.  It'll give a text box.  Type ~a and click OK a couple times.  The statusbar at the bottom of a view reports the total number of files.

How many files do you see?  The library backup I got from you showed ~80k, but the log showed more like ~1M.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Here is the text that appeared after entering the "~a":

"Library now has 88746 files. Search and update took 0:00.

"Imported 0 new files."

I still have logging enabled.  Next crash, I can send along a new log file, or, if there's a way to generate one manually, I can do that.  As accumulative as I have been of music over the years, not even I would have a million actual files, so something's nuts there.

I ran another search just now, for an album named "Fragments."  Also took about 40 seconds to get that data to appear in the search box and for the results to show.  One crappy thing about not having the keystrokes mirror on the screen more or less as typed is that I end up with typos that need to be corrected, and it takes about 35-40 seconds for the typos to correct on the screen, making searches an unproductive process.  I think, though, that I brought this on myself by using ancient hardware and having a pointlessly large collection. 

MrC

I think you misunderstood the Smartlist.

Type F9 to create a new smartlist.  Then hit the Import/Export button.  Clear what's there and paste in ~a and OK your way out.  Report on the results of that file list.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

88,746 files, 1.2 tb, 327.1 days. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

88,746 files, 1.2 tb, 327.1 days. 

And is typing in the search box while viewing that smartlist equally slow?

I'm puzzled by the 1 million library records in your log.  I wondered if something was adding a lot of records as you used the program, causing it to slow down.  That smartlist would show records like that.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

And is typing in the search box while viewing that smartlist equally slow?

I'm puzzled by the 1 million library records in your log.  I wondered if something was adding a lot of records as you used the program, causing it to slow down.  That smartlist would show records like that.

The searching seems marginally faster, i.e., about 20 seconds each for searches on "imogen heap" and "charles lloyd."  "Fragments" was closer to 30 seconds.

I appreciate your staying on this issue with me.  Not many other publishers would go this far.  

EDIT: I can't help but notice that searching on the smartlist does not bring up the album art.  Maybe that accounts for much of the difference in access times.  On the other hand, that undermines the "fun" and "usefulness" factors a bit, too.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

The searching seems marginally faster, i.e., about 20 seconds each for searches on "imogen heap" and "charles lloyd."  "Fragments" was closer to 30 seconds.

Would you reset the log (Help > Logging), then search in that view one time, then grab and mail the log again?

The last log was huge and had a lot of DLNA, import, etc. stuff going on so it was hard to focus on the search performance.

Thanks.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Did one search that took a bit over 20 seconds.  I will send the log to you right now.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I don't think the library itself is getting slow.

Here's your 20 second snippet between 'c' and 'carter jefferson':
Code: [Select]
0057580: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0057814: 2444: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: c; Elapsed ms: 242.084
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (249 ms)
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Start
0057845: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Finish (16 ms)
0057845: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0057861: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (16 ms)
0057892: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (63 ms)
0057892: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (15 ms)
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Start
0057923: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Finish (16 ms)
0057970: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0057970: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (0 ms)
0058001: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (94 ms)
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Start
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Change: 1; UI Mode: -999; Playing: 0
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Finish (result: 1) (0 ms)
0080902: 2720: Database: CMediaFileIOLoad::Load: Loading: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Library\Cache\File List Sort\Cache (8).dat
0080918: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0083008: 2720: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: carter jefferson; Elapsed ms: 2103.338

It runs the search for 'c' quickly.  Then it seems like nothing is happening (at least in the log).  Then 20 seconds later it updates the view to process 'carter jefferson'.

I suppose the search suggestions that popup could be bogging the computer, but they're all threaded so I wouldn't expect that.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

I don't think the library itself is getting slow.

Here's your 20 second snippet between 'c' and 'carter jefferson':
Code: [Select]
0057580: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0057814: 2444: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: c; Elapsed ms: 242.084
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (249 ms)
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0057829: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Start
0057845: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Finish (16 ms)
0057845: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0057861: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (16 ms)
0057892: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (63 ms)
0057892: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Finish (15 ms)
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Start
0057907: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Start
0057923: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::SetItemCount: Finish (16 ms)
0057970: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Start
0057970: 2748: General: CMainUIWnd::Resize: Finish (0 ms)
0058001: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::FinishFileInsertion: Finish (94 ms)
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Start
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Change: 1; UI Mode: -999; Playing: 0
0080886: 2748: General: CMCUICore::GetEnableMonitorChange: Finish (result: 1) (0 ms)
0080902: 2720: Database: CMediaFileIOLoad::Load: Loading: C:\Users\Michael\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Library\Cache\File List Sort\Cache (8).dat
0080918: 2748: General: CMJFileListCtrl::StartFileInsertion: Start
0083008: 2720: Database: CSearchFilesHelper::GetResults: Search: carter jefferson; Elapsed ms: 2103.338

It runs the search for 'c' quickly.  Then it seems like nothing is happening (at least in the log).  Then 20 seconds later it updates the view to process 'carter jefferson'.

I suppose the search suggestions that popup could be bogging the computer, but they're all threaded so I wouldn't expect that.

Yes, it mirrored the "C" quite quickly and then the rest of the name popped up right at the end.  So, if it's not the popups causing that lag, it's likely to be something else on my computer that gets in the way of this?  I do have a fair number of processes running at any given time, I am sure, but they seemingly haven't caused similar issues in other apps. For example, I get no lag typing search terms into my browsers or running Quicken or doing a Windows index search for a file in a directory.  So, I am at a loss here.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Matt, this kind of thing happens on my i3 530 frequently too. I've just become used to it, and figured it was due to my 20-drive NAS spinning up.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Matt, this kind of thing happens on my i3 530 frequently too. I've just become used to it, and figured it was due to my 20-drive NAS spinning up.

Fitbrit, you may be on to something for me, as well.  As I pointed out at the very beginning of the thread, my media is on a Buffalo LinkStation NAS with two drives in RAID 1, with both NAS and PC connected to the same router via ethernet. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

If it's drives spinning up, I would expect the program to become fast again once the drives have spun up.  In other words, that should be a one-time slowdown and not something happening over and over.

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

So, Matt, what's next or have you taken this as far as you can?  Let me know if you need anything more from me that could be helpful.  Thanks again for your time looking at this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

So, Matt, what's next or have you taken this as far as you can?  Let me know if you need anything more from me that could be helpful.  Thanks again for your time looking at this.

Honestly I'm a little bit stuck.

If you look at a Panes view and click different pane values, is that slow?

I'm trying to understand if it's only slow when search suggestions are shown, or if there's some general slowness that applies to everything.

Is the hard drive light blinking like crazy when it's stuck?  Does Task Manager show 100% CPU during these periods?

Mike Rubin

• World Citizen

Honestly I'm a little bit stuck.

If you look at a Panes view and click different pane values, is that slow?

I'm trying to understand if it's only slow when search suggestions are shown, or if there's some general slowness that applies to everything.

Is the hard drive light blinking like crazy when it's stuck?  Does Task Manager show 100% CPU during these periods?

In Panes view, it's a lot faster when I just click on a value.  So, based on that, I'd guess the slowness actually is a problem mostly when I search using the search box and not unacceptable otherwise, even when switching between views and bringing up lots of album art.

I am accessing remotely now as I am out of town, so I can't see the physical hard drive light that is on the front of my PC.  However, the hard drive activity indicator on the task manager "performance" tab shows 5-8% drive activity on the local C drive (although it does not indicate the activity on the mapped NAS drive), and you are correct that the CPU usage level is 100% during the hang periods.  I keep coming back to the concern that I may not have enough horsepower in this old rig. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up