INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View crashes  (Read 5670 times)

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
Theater View crashes
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:03:44 pm »

I use Theater View all the time.

After listening music if I go to watch a video, I get the Windows ' Media Center 18 has stopped working' message and have to click out of it and start Media Center again. I can pretty much reproduce this time and time again.

I am on a Windows 8 machine and running the latest release.
I have an Audio and Video zone (but this was happening prior to me creating those)

I have thought about uninstalling/reinstalling Media Center but do not want to lose my audio/video/Theaterview settings as there are many.

How can I figure out what is going on as this is getting old.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
Re: Theater View crashes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:07:22 pm »

....bump....

Jack Fate 318

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:16 pm »

....bump....

yep I've had the thing happen to me,all the time ,

happens most when stopping recordings of tv programs

other times too been this way thru last 2-3 mo. of builds

just learned to restart & move on

I stripped cpu & did total reinstall to no avail

17 didn't do it

but other things in 18 are nice

cheers

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 12:32:47 am »

Yeah, I uninstalled/reinstalled several times today and now things have gone from bad to worse.

While playing music if I go to Display mode and scroll through the visualizations, as soon as I come to 'Text' the screen locks up and I have to reboot. Next time I go to Display mode, it locks up due to it now being set for Text. Only way I could get that fixed was to uninstall/reinstall again and not use the Text visualization while in Display mode.

Now, a new thing is happening when playing a movie, I have it set for Ask concerning bookmarks. As soon as the box comes up to choose Resume or Start from beginning, I cannot choose anything. It is as if it has lost focus. Again, I have to reboot to get out of it.

Needless to say it is becoming useless in this state.
Any ideas?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 04:27:53 am »

Are you using RO+HQ setting? I have seen some similar problems with the way MadVR handles display resolution switching. If you are using RO+HQ, try RO-STD to see if that works (helps narrow down problem). If you are using RO+HQ do you have any resolutions (manually added. i.e. 1080p23, etc.)) to MadVR settings. I find less problems when I leave that selection blank.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:32:07 am »

Are you using 18.0.206?  It's on the Download Page.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:37:52 am »

Are you using RO+HQ setting? I have seen some similar problems with the way MadVR handles display resolution switching. If you are using RO+HQ, try RO-STD to see if that works (helps narrow down problem). If you are using RO+HQ do you have any resolutions (manually added. i.e. 1080p23, etc.)) to MadVR settings. I find less problems when I leave that selection blank.

I am using 18.0.206.

Tried RO-STD setting and also deleted manual resolution settings (which showed as being valid in MadVR).
Still the 'Media Center 18 has stopped working' message when going from Audio to Video (starting a movie).

Note that the above problem has been going on for several months and I have been living with it. But the others that use this are not as savvy and just prefer not to use it now due to problems.

The other problems started after reinstalling although the bookmark lockup doesn't seem to be happening at the moment. I've also noticed that all of a sudden when going to Audio, the volume setting has reset to about 10% every time making me manually reset it to 85% on first song. Am I losing it or?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 06:11:12 am »

What are your Audio settings? WASAPI event-style? What do you have set in DSP (use JRSS mixing)?

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 12:16:20 pm »

My PC crashes whenever I start it, if I try to automatically run JRiver in Theatre Mode on start-up. If I set it to run in Standard View automatically on start-up I am fine.

JRiver always crashes the first time I try to watch a video (movie or TV show), on restart and subsequently it is fine. I have only tried watching videos in Theatre Mode.

I have Media Center 18.0.206 running of a Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Service Pack 2 installed.

Christopher

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:21:56 pm »

What are your Audio settings? WASAPI event-style? What do you have set in DSP (use JRSS mixing)?

I have 2 Zones and am using WASAPI ( I don't believe event style is an option anymore)

Audio:
JRSS - 5.1 Output sound as Dolby Digital
Output Leveling
Equalizer
Effects
Room Correction

Video:
JRSS - 5.1 Output sound as Dolby Digital
Room Correction

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »

My PC crashes whenever I start it, if I try to automatically run JRiver in Theatre Mode on start-up. If I set it to run in Standard View automatically on start-up I am fine.

JRiver always crashes the first time I try to watch a video (movie or TV show), on restart and subsequently it is fine. I have only tried watching videos in Theatre Mode.

I have Media Center 18.0.206 running of a Vista Home Premium 32 bit with Service Pack 2 installed.
That may be the same as this problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81696.0

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:54 pm »

That may be the same as this problem:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81696.0

I am afraid I'm not very technical, but are you saying that I may not have updated drivers for my graphics card? I keep the PC constantly updated with Windows Update, but that may not be enough? It seems I have something called a Screen Adapter? (translating from Norwegian here) Is that the same a a graphics card? For my (wife's) PC it says NVIDIA GeForce 9200. ) I did an additional search from Device Manager, clicking update Driver, but an automatic seach told me I had the best driver installed. It's called 9.18.13.1106 and is dated 18 January 2013.

Or am I supposed to be looking for something else?

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:54 am »

The driver that Windows provides may not be the same as the one provided by the manufacturer.

An Internet search is often helpful.  You could also ask in the thread I linked.

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 07:26:14 am »

This is the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63458

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 08:10:18 am »

This is the latest WHQL driver from Nvidia: http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63458

My Vista is 32 bit, so I guess those newer drivers aren't for me?

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 08:11:17 am »

My Vista is 32 bit, so I guess those newer drivers aren't for me?
http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63457

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 08:52:19 am »

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/63457

Thanks! I might try that. I am a bit afraid that the whole thing will crash and never wake up again, I am really not in love with my Vista PCs, but....  ;)

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 11:25:52 am »

Well, I thought, what the heck... I'll update my video drivers to above version, maybe that might help.
Still have the crash when going from audio to video after updating drivers.

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2013, 11:47:42 am »

After much further investigation it appears that the crashes have to do with Bookmarks.
If I have 'ASK' set for video bookmarks, JRiver will crash (for me) after playing Audio, and then playing a video. I can reproduce this time after time.

If I change video bookmark to 'NEVER' then the problem doesn't exist.

Is it possible my bookmarks are corrupt or?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:38 pm »

After much further investigation it appears that the crashes have to do with Bookmarks.
If I have 'ASK' set for video bookmarks, JRiver will crash (for me) after playing Audio, and then playing a video. I can reproduce this time after time.

If I change video bookmark to 'NEVER' then the problem doesn't exist.

Is it possible my bookmarks are corrupt or?

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  With audio playing, I go to Video > Movies in Theater View.  I play and it asks "Resume" or "Start from beginning".  I pick either and it plays.

Could you provide a few more details, like:

Does it matter if audio is actively playing, or just if it was played recently?

Do you see the "Resume" / "Start from beginning" popup in Theater View?

Does it matter if it's DVD vs a different type of video (MKV, BD, etc.)?

Does Red October Standard vs HQ matter?

Does starting from different list styles make any difference?

Is it a crash (program goes away) or hang (program gets stuck)?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jdizzy623

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2013, 06:41:25 pm »

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  With audio playing, I go to Video > Movies in Theater View.  I play and it asks "Resume" or "Start from beginning".  I pick either and it plays. Could you provide a few more details, like:

Does it matter if audio is actively playing, or just if it was played recently?
Either way, stopped or playing, played only part of a song, or 20 songs

Do you see the "Resume" / "Start from beginning" popup in Theater View?
Yes, I can see the popup menu. Choosing either will hang (get stuck) with Windows message and spinning cursor.
One thing I just noticed was that if I use the 'Automatic' setting, video plays fine from the bookmark which leads me to believe my bookmarks are fine.

Does it matter if it's DVD vs a different type of video (MKV, BD, etc.)?
No, all my videos are mkv or mp4. I don't use the disks.
All music is mp3 or flac

Does Red October Standard vs HQ matter?
I have tried both and also disabled all DSP during testing.
No difference

Does starting from different list styles make any difference?
Thought about that and did try but same result regardless

Is it a crash (program goes away) or hang (program gets stuck)?
More of a hang with program still visible in background and spinning cursor/Windows message in foreground

Damnedest thing!
I remember a while back there were some problems with lock-ups when moving around in Theater view and it had to do with browser?
Pages: [1]   Go Up