INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zones: Audio PC to PC (to PC)  (Read 2238 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Zones: Audio PC to PC (to PC)
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:53:33 pm »

I just don't get it. I've searched the forums, I've searched the features in MC18, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to work zones.

Oh sure: I can go to PLAYER -> ZONES -> ADD ZONE. That's great. Doesn't get me anything! I can name it "Den" where the client is. I can sit here in the "Study" (server), and it doesn't do a thing.

How do I *specify* that I want to control the client? I can go to the client, and make things happen on the server, but I'm much more interested in controling the client from the server.

And when I went and downloaded WebGizmo on my wife's iPhone, it controls the server, but I can't get it to control the client?

I haven't even begun to work with what will be the 2nd client "Basement". Oh, and my library's on its own NAS, FYI.

Help please!

?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Zones: Audio PC to PC (to PC)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 09:48:51 pm »

Quick response.  In a tab, select the zone under Playing now .  Now in another tab, play your media.  The last selected zone is the default target zone for playback.

Or, select the media, and right-click and Send To > Zone name > ...

There is also ZoneSwitch which you'll learn about later.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:38:47 pm »

sorry, back from holiday (and catching up on life!).

I can open a new tab, from my Study (server), and in "Playing Now" is an option called "Study" and a folder called "Playing from the Main Library."

I want to control my Den. I can create a zone called "Den." But how do I specify that the den is where a laptop sits with the client installed? I need to know before I set up "Basement".

Do I have to connect a *device* (the laptop?)? How to I tell it the laptop is a client called "Den"?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:57 pm »

I'm gonna take a stab...  I see Zones can control local hardware on a PC. If a client is connected it should show up under Playing Now automatically.

In Options - Media Network

Client Options

Make sure show playback zones from the server is checked.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:21:40 am »

Thanks Ken! I'm still stumped... I have 2 clients now! Den & Basement. How to differentiate?

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 09:00:18 am »

Thanks Ken! I'm still stumped... I have 2 clients now! Den & Basement. How to differentiate?
Right click : Rename.

You create a new zone label call it right away it Den or somesuch. If the zone is just to switch configs name it accordingly.  Each PC client and/or server has automatically a zone normally just called player. One basic confusion about zones seems to be that they are not necessarily different "physical" locations - they are actually different configs which could controll different locations or switch settings like use this device for Video and this one for audio. Most configs are not "zone specific", btw. You could have one PC with 6 zones or more example below from the sticky at the top of the forum

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 09:14:52 pm »

Yeah, I remember seeing that screen shot some time ago. It's impressive! I just can't get mine to work.

So, I just got a new 2013 Nexus 7. Great tab! I installed Gizmo on it. I created a new zone called Den (where 1 of the clients is. The other client - basement - is a Win7 PC, but shut down).

I can choose "Den" or "Study" (server), but in both instances the sound comes out of the server ("Study"). I *CANNOT* get the darn sound to come out of the "Den" (where my nicest audio config is) for the life of me!

There's clearly something I'm missing.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 09:30:51 pm »

Choose the server you want to play from, then drag music to the Play to location.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:33 pm »

On the client and server, make sure media network is turned on. You might want to ensure that MC is running on both too. MC should automatically poll your network and find other instances of itself running. I think this is where your problem is - The server MC isn't finding the Den client - the Zone you created is meaningless currently. You should probably delete it for now until your sort out your network issues. Make sure there are no firewalls blocking MC on the client. Are they on the same domain name in Windows too?
It really sounds like an auto discovery issue to me.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »

Boy, thanks everyone for the replies. Feeling like quite the dunce.

My Server (Stufy) is on, I have the Client (Den) connected, and I know it because when I fire up MC18, it displays it's connections, and then logs into the server. I have even tried making a change on the Client, synching the library, and seeing the change on the server.

But when I add a zone, call it "Den" and then choose music to play there, it plays HERE (Study, i.e., server). When I launch Gizmo on my wife's iPhone, or my new Nexus 7, it plays on the Server (Study). I cannot seem to get anything to play on the Client, except while standing at the laptop in the Den (client).

so frustrating...

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:51:13 pm »

But when I add a zone, call it "Den" and then choose music to play there, it plays HERE (Study, i.e., server). When I launch Gizmo on my wife's iPhone, or my new Nexus 7, it plays on the Server (Study). I cannot seem to get anything to play on the Client, except while standing at the laptop in the Den (client).

so frustrating...

Simply creating a zone on the server will make a local zone, not a networked one. Library server clients and DLNA devices show up automatically. Does your client PC have the capability of being a DLNA renderer checked?

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 04:27:27 pm »

As stated above, manually creating a Zone is not what you want. Under Playing now the other PCs should show up as Zones. If they do you should be able to right click a track and select Send to and a list of your Zones should appear.

If the other PCs are not listed... Lets get them configured right.

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)
Pages: [1]   Go Up