INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any SQ advantages to using the Client/Server dual PC mode?  (Read 1004 times)

sgrowan

• Recent member
Any SQ advantages to using the Client/Server dual PC mode?
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:23:28 pm »

Hi,
I have a Windows 8 Home Server built to the specs of We Got Served this is the more powerful machine with a SS Hardrive running Windows 8 and stores my 10 terabyte Music Vault. I also have a Windows 7 laptop. Both have 8Gb of RAM.
In my first setup I ran JRiver from the laptop and used the library feature to access the music on the server. It sounds great. The two PCs are connected via Apple AirPort Extreme via a Gigabyte Hub by CAT 7 Ethernet Cable.

But now I'm wondering if there would be any SQ advantages to using the Client/Server model instead. The way I understand it should work would be something like this.

The Windows 8 Server would store all the files and do the transcoding from Flac to WAV while running JRiver.  The advantage would be using the SS drive, more powerful CPU, etc.
The two PCs are connected via Apple AirPort Extreme via a Gigabyte Hub by CAT 7 Ethernet Cable.
The Windows 7 laptop would be in the listening room and become a client. It is hooked directly to the PS Audio Bridge.

I use an iPad running JRemote.
I hope I've described enough details for everyone's help. I do see the advantages of the client/server for keeping the music files synced but anyone found sonic atvantages as well.
Thanks, Steven
Pages: [1]   Go Up