INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 Delaying Startup Of MC [Solved]  (Read 2079 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
Windows 8 Delaying Startup Of MC [Solved]
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »

When I ran MC on Windows 7, it would start playing music almost as soon as Win 7 Desktop came up.

Now with Win 8, it seems everything is delayed & MC now loads very slowly near the end of bootup.

I have tried WinPatrol to delay most other startup items leaving MC at the top of the list but that did not help.

It seems that Win 8 simply delays ALL Startup programs to achieve an illusion of a faster boot to the Desktop which is a little faster then Win 7 boot to Desktop.

I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions.

Thanks;
Doc
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Windows 8 Delaying Startup Of MC
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »

I think you're right that each version of Windows shows the desktop sooner, but has more work to do in background threads once it loads.

Are you using an SSD for your boot drive?  If not, any chance you could switch?  It really helps in my experience.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:26:54 pm »

Yes, dual SSD's, 16mb of memory, 6 cores overclocked to 4.8 GHz.  It all helps but it seems that Win 8 itself is more concerned on how fast the Desktop shows after boot & not how fast programs load from the Start menu.

A couple of thoughts...
I have noticed that 4 of my start up items do load quickly then the rest (11 items including MC) take a long time to load (I have no delays set up for any of the Start up items). Any ideas why that happens?

Would it be possible to load MC as a Service instead of a program? Would that speed things up?

As far a MC is concerned, I still find that Win 7 is more satisfying as MC would start playing music much sooner than Win 8.

Thanks;
Doc
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:35:16 am »

I just looked very closely at when each item is starting up & noticed that there seems to be TWO pauses between the loading of Start up items...

Loads very quickly after the Desktop first comes up...
1: Internet Access.
2: Safely Remove Hardware & Eject Media.
3: EZ Updates (ASUS motherboard utility).
4: AIDA64.

A Shot Pause, then...
1: AI Suite II (ASUS motherboard utility).

A Long Pause, then...
Everything else loads including MC.

The AIDA64 item is of interest as it is a utility that I installed & am wondering why it loads so fast & can something similar be done for MC?

Thanks;
Doc

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 10:03:21 am »

Check the task manager to see what's slowing down your startup. It now ranks programs based on their impact, and disabling them actually works. (previously, items disabled via msconfig would often return)

Gl3nn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:19:32 am »

I recently (6 months ago) built a new rig around an Asus Sabertooth MB and quickly uninstalled their "suite" software when it became clear that it was slowing down everything.  You might check their forums - something may have changed by now.  That might be your issue.

DocLotus

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 12:21:04 pm »

Hi Guys;

The Task Manager was of little help but thanks anyway. I do use Process Explorer on a regular basis (it shows similar items as Task Manager... % load, run time, priorities etc.).

I have been on the ASUS Forum big time & already know about the AI Suite II problems but I have managed to get around them with little if any slowdowns.

I disabled all start up items except MC & MC loaded more normally (much faster). Sooooo... I installed Startup Delayer thinking that I could delay all Start up items except MC to achieve the same faster loading of MC.  NO JOY!! Same problem, even Startup Delayer was being delayed.

It turns out that AIDA64 was the key to this problem; it was not loading as a Startup item but was loading in Windows Task Scheduler.

I did finally resolve the problem by starting MC in Windows Task Scheduler (using settings similar to AIDA64) with zero delay. MC want from 74 seconds (after the desktop shows) to only 2 seconds; in other words it is now instantaneous.  What a difference.

I may move more of my Startup items to the Task Scheduler.

Thanks;
Doc

Pages: [1]   Go Up