INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Import setting for TV and Movies Be Different ?  (Read 1518 times)

Earwig1978

• Recent member
Can Import setting for TV and Movies Be Different ?
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:23:36 pm »

First of all I want to say how hugely happy I am with this software.

Having come from MediaPortal and before that other's this is just far and away on a different level. So far everything I have found has been to my liking with one very small thing which might actually be me just not knowing how to do it.

My problem is as follows:

I have set folders that I want to watch and things get imported without an issue, covers are found and info is found, even for some obscure things which I was quite suprised with. But what happens is that I cannot choose which location I want things to appear. This means that I have Music Concerts appearing in "Movies" and I also have TV Shows such as Top Gear (The special episodes) appearing in "Movies" when in reality they should be in the TV section as they are in essence more of a TV show than a movie....

i have scoured through all the options but cannot find a way to set up folders to be watched for separate catagories ?

Ideally I would like to click on Tv shows and select the watch folders for that. Then select Movies and set up the watch folders for that.

This would mean that anything that was in the watch folder for TV could not appear in Movies as is happening now.

Is there something small that I ahve overlooked ? Or can it simply not be done yet ? If it can't be done would it sound like a useful addition ?

many thanks in advance and keep up the superb work :-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Can Import setting for TV and Movies Be Different ?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:28:30 pm »

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the nice comments.

You can try editing two of the tags:

Media Type
Media Sub Type

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »

You have to add multiple import folders. It seems you have different folders for different media already. So, you're all set there.

Go to File, Library, Import and Configure Auto-Import.
Click Add and choose the folder for movies. Select what file types to import, then click Add under "Apply these tags". Select Media Sub Type "movies". Do the same for Series and so on. Not all sub types are on the first menu, so you'll have to go to Custom. Find the "Media Sub Type" and then choose or write the correct value.

You can add all sorts of tags here. You can do regular expressions on meta data imported and apply different data for different results. There's almost no limits what MC can do. Just ask on the forum is you have any concrete questions. Good luck!
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:48:46 pm »

I cannot find a way to set up folders to be watched for separate catagories ?
Edit a folder in the auto import settings to tell MC which file types to import.

Earwig1978

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »

I never expected to get replies that fast !  :o

Ok, I have deleted the files from my Media Library.

I have gone into the settings as advised and changed the Sub Type to TV Show. I have aslo added another Sub Type Series TV Show.

Auto import then runs and......

They all go straight back into movies  >:(

As far as I can tell I have followed the instructions precisely. I have tried several time snow and the same keep happening.

It's worth noting that most of the file types are the same .MKV if that is what is meant by telling it what file types ?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »

This definitely works as you would like it to, provided you set up the auto import rules properly. Any chance you could provide some screenshots of what you are doing?

Earwig1978

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 01:07:16 pm »

Well I got it to work..... Kind of.....

The 4 things that would not move from Movies are now in the TV section as I wanted, but they are all bunched together in one place under the cover for something called Catfish ?  ;D

Will get some screenies up as I am sure it will be far easier for you to point out my stupid mistakes  :D

Earwig1978

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 01:13:20 pm »

Does this help in any way ?

As you can see my issue is now that they are all grouped together for some reason ?

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »

You should remove the Media Type: TV Show tag.
Media type are the major types of media. Video, Audio, Images and Data. That's it. And it recognize this in almost ALL cases, so it's not needed to add these tags. Only keep the Media Sub Type tag, and you'll be fine.

Remember that you do NOT have to delete the media and run a complete auto import again. Just select the media with wrong info, hit the Tag item in the Action Pane in the bottom left corner, and scroll down to the Media Type and change it to Video again. You can also change the Media SUB Type here. Or you could edit directly in the media list with F2. Theres a lot of ways :)

Earwig1978

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »

Ok, I have it working now !

I think my issue was the following....

I added another Sub tag in the beginning for "Series" and it was called TV Show or something like that. When I ran the Import it brought those 4 things into the TV show section but all into a folder (Or series) that was named TV Show.

Even after I removed this tag from the Auto import Config section, the tag still apllied to the 4 releases that had been imported earlier.

After following your advice and opening up the "Tag" system in the browse payne I was simply abel to remove the Tag "Tv Shows" from the "Series" section and everything corrected itself  8)

Bottom line is though.... As I stated in my first post. The programme probably could do what I wanted... And it was just me that didn't know how to do it !  ;D

just want to say a huuuge thanks to everyone who helped me to reach my goal. The support has been better than anything I could have expected. All in all I am very impressed with everything !

many thanks.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »

Glad it worked out! MC has a learning curve, but it's certainly worth it if you value your media :)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »

You may also want to read through this thread:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68462.10

There's a LOT you can do, and automate, using those rules and MC's expression language.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up