INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggest a mobo for my 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770  (Read 3368 times)

dharmashawn

• Recent member
Suggest a mobo for my 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770
« on: July 05, 2013, 06:24:55 pm »

Ok, some people (MrC) around here have helped me not make a big mistake, so now I call upon the club again to help out. I am looking for a new motherboard to swap out.
It needs to be compatible with:

i7-3770 (1155 I believe)
16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
6+ Sata ports
size is not an issue as I have a Fractal R4 w/ Corsair HX750.

Maybe suggest three categories Low, Mid, High grade.

Thanks in advance and Thanks again MrC for saving me some aggravation and unnecessary steps.

Be Well
Shawn   

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Suggest a mobo for my 3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:03:18 pm »

Thanks.

I no longer keep up with all the hardware and platforms, so have relied on other generous folks on the forum for help.  User hulkss provided some fine suggestions for my last PC build, as have folks like glynor, InflatableMouse, JimH, Matt, and many others I'm sure I'm forgetting (sorry folks).  It's really great to see new waves of really smart and helpful people contributing their vast knowledge to Interact.  I'm sure you'll get some good advice and suggestions soon.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »

I really like my ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe.

The latest BIOS seems to have fixed the last little bit of weirdness I had with it (knock on something).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:17:24 am »

I really like my ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe.

That is a perfect, right out of the gate, suggestion. Thanks!!

**Question: Was the ASUS Maximus V available when you purchased?? Just wondering if you choose that board for a specific reason; it was discontinued, but there are plenty available.   

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:38:17 am »

Intel controls so much about what's on a motherboard these days that there's really not much difference between most boards at all any more.
You're looking at less than 5% performance difference between any of them.

The only real differences are with serious overclocking boards that are designed for breaking records on LN2.
As a general user, you won't see a difference in performance or overclockability; at most it will be +/- 100MHz between the high end boards and the cheap ones when you're putting a reasonable amount of voltage into the chips.

Features are really the only differentiators now, with some boards adding WiFi, some using a cheaper third-party NIC rather than the Intel one, bluetooth, thunderbolt support etc.

ASUS are generally a good brand to go for as far as reliability is concerned, but I can't help feeling burned after their P67 boards.
I have a Sabertooth P67, and none of their P67 boards will wake from sleep properly when paired with a Corsair AX Gold power supply. (I have an AX850)

It's an issue that neither ASUS nor Corsair are willing to admit fault with, and ASUS just told me they would keep RMA'ing the board for me (the Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty) but I've had four of them now and there's no difference. The reason it's four is because I got two bad boards from them - with the first, something was broken and the CPU was locked to the minimum multiplier at all times - BIOS updates, disabling power management settings etc. did nothing, so my 2500K was locked at 1.6GHz. The second board exhibited the sleep issues mentioned, so I RMA'd it without success. The third board had dead USB3 ports, and I'm using the fourth now.
It does seem to be an issue with the motherboard though, because some people with different ASUS P67 boards that give additional voltage options found that bumping up one of the RAM voltages slightly fixed things so that it would wake from sleep correctly, rather than wake and immediately reboot. But ASUS weren't willing to unlock those options for people with boards that didn't have the option.

But I have spectacularly bad luck with electronics so while that sounds bad, it might not be anything to be concerned about.
I've also had enough failures with Macs over the years that I have essentially had three free upgrades from them, because there were so many failures and faulty repairs. (three or four failures and they generally replace the machine - though my iMac had six before that was replaced) That may sound good, but I was without the machines for weeks at a time, probably months in total over all of them. At least with a PC I can just walk into a store, buy a new motherboard the same day, and RMA the faulty board, rather than be without the system. (at least that's the plan if anything else goes wrong now)
My 1 month old Benchmark DAC2 is back at the place I bought it from right now too. So things going wrong with those ASUS boards I had does not necessarily mean they're unreliable.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »

62 is right there generally is little to no performance gain between boards. Some overclock better than others and some don't overclock at all. If you're not into that, look at specifications; number of USB 3 ports, SATA ports, built in wifi, bluetooth, intel ethernet controller (Asus has some). Or if power consumption is important, look at that.

My HTPC/Homeserver has a Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP. It has 8 SATA ports (4/4 I believe). I like the board, its fast, boots fast (no delays on POST) and has proven to be stable. It does has an issue sometimes waking from sleep but that could be software/BIOS settings or even my TV/Receiver combo, I'm not sure. And it doesn't respond to magic packets (Wake On LAN).

MSI had capacitor problems which may have been solved I don't know but my MSI board (P67A-GD80) died on the last day of its warranty. It recently got replaced with an Asus P8P67 EVO. I wouldn't buy it. Fan control is quirky, Speedfan doesn't work well with it and temperature sensors are way off (10-15 degrees C). There's actually threads of complaints about it on VIP boards (Asus official) and going by the lack of response from Asus its unlikely to get fixed. Even their own AI software reads incorrect temperatures and adjusts the fans too low and there is no way to configure it to use other sensors (Core temps are reported correctly thank god).

Gigabyte had compatibility issues during the early core2duo era with AHCI and the early incarnations of SSD's. It took them a while to to get that solved and along with them being late adapting UEFI (fancy word for a graphical BIOS :P), I never tried them again. Reviews are good though, they seem to do well managing power consumption so if you're looking for low power usage, read up on Gigabytes latest models.

If i were in the market now I'd probably get another Asrock. Or GigaByte. If it needs to be cheap, get a 7-series board. Otherwise, look at the latest generation 8 boards. AnandTech is a good site to read reviews, its got a bunch of articles on the latest 8-series boards as well as the 7 series if that's what you like to get.

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:46 pm »

If it needs to be cheap, get a 7-series board. Otherwise, look at the latest generation 8 boards.
They use different sockets. If you are buying a 7-series board you can only use Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs, if you are buying an 8-series board you can only use Haswell or Broadwell.

AnandTech is a good site to read reviews, its got a bunch of articles on the latest 8-series boards as well as the 7 series if that's what you like to get.
Definitely. Here's one of their group reviews of Z77 boards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5793/intel-z77-motherboard-review-with-ivy-bridge-asrock-asus-gigabyte-and-msi

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 01:30:48 am »

Thanks. It was late.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 04:24:54 pm »

Thanks for all the input it's very much appreciated!!! I am doing tons of research with the site / boards that are mentioned. By all means, keep the ideas coming.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up