INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pause, Rewind, and Fast Forward  (Read 1706 times)

gmandel

Pause, Rewind, and Fast Forward
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:21:35 pm »

Sorry, this is my this question in as many days... When playing videos across the network on my tv, if I hit pause and then play again, it restarts the video at the beginning. If I rewind or fast forward through a video, once I press the play button again, it also goes to the start of the video. This does not happen with other services. Any ideas? Thanks again.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pause, Rewind, and Fast Forward
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:45:07 am »

If the video is being transcoded, it depends on the renderer's capabilities. If the renderer supports time based seeking (best case) it's really pretty seemless. If the renderer supports byte based seeking and does it's own internal guess from time to byte based offset you should also get a good result for ff/rew. For pause/play it only has to remember which byte it left off on and re-request from there. Most devices do this nicely. The Xbox360 even remembers the pause offset from one session to another! Unfortunately, your device may do none of the above. In this case you are sort of stuck, you'll have to test which video's will play with conversion turned off then convert your videos that aren't in that format to one that is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up