INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files Corrupts Serato Binary Tags  (Read 1938 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Moving Files Corrupts Serato Binary Tags
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:27:55 am »

I ran into a bad problem today. I Used the Library Tools ->Rename, Move & Copy Files function on pretty much all of my tracks to auto-sort them into the new file hierarchy system I worked out.

Afterwards, I started reorganizing my Files in the DJ Software Serato Scratch live. Deleted the old library (all references were dead anyway) and wanted to copy the files back into serato.

Serato crashed. Oh nuts  :-X

I investigated. Certain files cause scratch live to go down in flames when loading them. Stripping the tags solves the problem. I thus came to think that the move command somehow damaged Seratos binary tags (Waveform, cuepoints, Loops etc.). The crash also occurs with Serato Itch.

Luckily I have a Backup, but this is a bad bug. I searched for a bugtracker but was unable to find one, so I'm posting here. I can provide before and after versions of a corrupted file for the devs.

Dear devs, please, please look into this. I'll help in every way I can.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Moving Files Corrupts Serato Binary Tags
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:38:54 am »

Why do you think MC is writing a bad tag?  Did you report this to Serato?

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:10:53 am »

I may be wrong of course, but I don't think I am:

1) I have confirmed several cases in which only MC interacted with the file between it turning from good to bad.
2) The error only occurs in the portion of files that were moved automatically by MC

I am currently writing an E-Mail. I'm pretty sure I know the reply already though.  Serato's stance is usually that if tags were altered by a third party program and rendered unreadable, one has to strip the tags. Which makes some sense since Serato can hardly repair arbitrary damage to binary data. It obviously shouldn't crash, but that is not what's concerning me, because in that case I could just bulk strip- and retag my files.

The Problem is that I would lose all my Cuepoints, Beatgrids, Loops which have been set over nigh a decade of working on the decks.

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 03:58:00 am »

Is there no interest in this? I kindly ask for assistance.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:02:30 am »

I don't think that moving files could corrupt tags.  We would have a lot of problem reports if it did.

Is there a network drive involved?

DrKNo

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:39:43 am »

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it!
No, there is no network drive involved. I did more testing and i can replicate the problem reliably.
Also, I don't think general tags are the problem, but the unknown binary tags of serato, which contain information about waveform, cuepoints, sub-dcimmal bpm etc. They are displayed the following way in tag view:

GEOB <unknown Data Type>

To reproduce I do the following:
1) I have a set of mp3s in Folder A. I load them into the DJ Software. Everything works as expected.
2) I use the Move,rename,copy Files command to Folder B
3) Some files from Folder B cannot be loaded into DJ Software anymore, until I strip Tags and rescan.

Again, I can provide copies of the affected files. You can even download scratch live for free and replicate the error on your system (though I doubt seeing serato crash would provide any insight ;)
The Files are still playable in Other Software. Serato crashed while trying to read the content of the Tags.
Pages: [1]   Go Up