INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playback is broken ONLY in MC  (Read 2646 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
playback is broken ONLY in MC
« on: July 18, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »

I have the latest version 18.0.209. When I play audio, MC18 gives me an error about my hardware not being able to play this format. (Audio playback works in all other programs on my machine, like iTunes.) After much fiddling, I finally got back to 4 versions ago, 18.0.158. Playback works in this version, but not any newer ones.

I discovered that the only difference is playback that is 16-bit (which works in 158) and 24-bit (which is the default in all newer versions apparently). The error dialog in version 209 says I can change the settings in DSP studio. However, I checked every setting there, and there is no way to change the 24-bit setting that I can find. Oddly enough, in version 158 I can change it, but it works there already!

What am I missing?

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: playback is broken ONLY in MC
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 03:29:06 pm »

It was moved to Tools > Options > Audio > Output Mode Settings a while back. I guess they forgot to update that dialog.
The default is to now play back audio at the highest bit depth your hardware reports that it can support. I guess it's reporting that it supports 24-bit when it actually does not.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:25:51 pm »

The setting is still not there. I need a setting to change 24-bit to 16-bit. I can't find ANYWHERE that lets me do it so far.

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:01 pm »

What output mode are you using?

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »

I can't get past Kernel Streaming to access other options either. (In 209 nor 206)

(I am doing triage on a bunch of corrupted music files but this is probably irrelevant)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:09:22 pm »

Try selecting the audio device.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:58:04 pm »

Under Audio Output/Output Mode there is only 1 choice available: Kernel Streaming. Yesterday when I downgraded to 206, WASAPI was available and playback worked. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 01:17:18 pm »

Under Audio, there are two lines of settings.  In the second line, you can set the device.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »

Since there is only the Kernel choice, the second line brings up kernel streaming settings and the Device line offers no choices.

I'm going to reboot and re-install 209 to see what happens...

W7ULTx64-4gbRAM/2.66DuoCPU

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 03:50:02 pm »

Does any other software work?  WMP?  Sounds in Control Panel?

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 08:22:05 am »

My output mode is the direct sound option, but I have tried every combination of every setting that I can find! My thread seems to have gotten a little distracted by kernel streaming issues, so please don't forget about my original (and simple?) problem!

Every other music player and Windows sounds work perfectly, but MC will give the error every time. It says it cannot play 24-bit. If not, why did it choose it? I have a dell tower with sigmatel audio, by the way.

nickeaston

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but I thought I had the same issue as pgrisham.

Basically somerthing causes/caused my MC to revert from WASAPI to Kernel and allow no choices.  I re-installed 209 and it's stable so far.

It still seems to me that trying to merge an old archive containing many corrupt files into my clean library has affected MC stability. Wish there was a utility that can filter corrupted and incomplete .mp3s.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:48:55 am »

My output mode is the direct sound option, but I have tried every combination of every setting that I can find! My thread seems to have gotten a little distracted by kernel streaming issues, so please don't forget about my original (and simple?) problem!

Every other music player and Windows sounds work perfectly, but MC will give the error every time. It says it cannot play 24-bit. If not, why did it choose it? I have a dell tower with sigmatel audio, by the way.
Hopefully Matt or someone else will be able to jump in and help you. Are you using Windows XP? I think from Windows Vista onwards, DirectSound should accept anything up to 32-bit floating point and convert it to whatever your sound hardware likes.

I assume you've tried looking for updated drivers?

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 11:57:43 am »

Yes, I am using XP. I will look for drivers while I wait for Matt to jump in :)...

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:22:20 pm »

I too think that this is the right thing to do. MC will ask XP for the list of audio devices to show and something is obviously wrong there. Reinstalling your audio device should solve that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

It looks like this is the problem:

18.0.194 (6/3/2013)
Changed: Switched Direct Sound output to always use 24-bit integer instead of 32-bit floating point (because it appears some devices don't work nicely with 32-bit floating point).

My understanding was that Windows itself was always converting to the mixing format of the hardware.  But obviously there's more to the story than this because 32-bit didn't work on some hardware, and now 24-bit isn't working with some hardware.

I'll try to switch a coming build to automatically walk a ladder of formats with Direct Sound to better handle these issues.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 10:16:06 am »

Next build:
Fixed: Direct Sound playback would not work with devices that didn't support 24-bit audio.

I think the build should be out sometime next week.

Sorry for trouble, and thanks for your help getting to the bottom of it.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 08:12:39 am »

Awesome! Thanks for the fix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up