INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will 19 Get back mini skins and skin manager?  (Read 10210 times)

ElQuia

• World Citizen
Will 19 Get back mini skins and skin manager?
« on: July 21, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »

Will 19 Get back mini skins and skin manager?

Fabricio

• Citizen of the Universe
  • No one has patience with me.
Re: Will 19 Get back mini skins and skin manager?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:43:28 pm »

I hope, but I will not return ...

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 04:31:01 pm »

I hope, but I will not return ...

Don´t understand  ?

Fabricio

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 06:25:46 pm »

Don´t understand  ?

Sorry ..
I want these features, but I think it will not come back ...

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:09:45 pm »

OK now I understood  ;)

JRiver guys: can we have a strait answer about mini skins and skin manager?
Please? I believe that as a paying customer we deserve an answer....

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:35:42 pm »

I don't know.  It isn't a very high priority, but it isn't completely impossible.

Fabricio

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:27:17 pm »

I don't know.  It isn't a very high priority, but it isn't completely impossible.

What good. We have hope, yet.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:22:16 pm »

Jim think of it as the iceing (don't know if that is spelled ok) on the cake. Nice skins, with the possiblity off having a cool mini bar on top to show off or just to look at and an easy windows to preview all those beautifull skins that devs make....

You are top of the leage with MC, just give it some nice flexibility for the eye candy  ;D

Please???
 :)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:12 am »

I have a cool mini bar in my kitchen :D

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 05:44:50 pm »

I have a cool mini bar in my kitchen :D

That's a joke ?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:56:06 am »

Yes :)

Seriously, I'm on record as supporting the motion... here and here.

Matt has indicated, here, that there is not a lot of enthusiasm at J River for bringing them back, as has Jim in his post above.

The way I read it, there is an outside possibility that the manager may return, but no chance that mini skins will, at least, not in the form that we once knew them.

I've been pushing this as an alternative, though as you can see from the dates, not making a lot of headway there either.

These things, while clearly sorely missed, are surely not deal breakers for you?

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 08:41:39 am »

Perhaps it's just because I use the program differently, but what's wrong with Windows' taskbar integration?
I find that much more useful than a mini player, because you don't have to keep it on the screen to use it - just hover over the taskbar icon.

Media Center's taskbar integration could use some work though.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 10:55:10 am »

Perhaps it's just because I use the program differently, but what's wrong with Windows' taskbar integration?
I find that much more useful than a mini player, because you don't have to keep it on the screen to use it - just hover over the taskbar icon.

Media Center's taskbar integration could use some work though.

Just on the spot: I want a mini because I WANT to have it on screen. I have windows tskbar to autohide and MCs integration is VERY basic

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:29 am »

Yes :)

Matt has indicated, here, that there is not a lot of enthusiasm at J River for bringing them back, as has Jim in his post above.

The way I read it, there is an outside possibility that the manager may return, but no chance that mini skins will, at least, not in the form that we once knew them.

I've been pushing this as an alternative, though as you can see from the dates, not making a lot of headway there either.

These things, while clearly sorely missed, are surely not deal breakers for you?

Marko: no it is not a deal breaker. I will still go on as a paying customer. BUT those were 2 features I REALLY liked in Media Center, I use skins because the default one and all the skins that came stock are horrible. You can have a program that works like it should, but if its interface is basic and sucks... well ... I guess you get it.

BTW Marko: Is there any place I can get that playing now plugin???

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:50 am »

Idea: do a poll in the forum or whatever about the mini skin and skin manager  features: just a basic poll, want back, indifferent, dont want.

just an idea.....

nelsonhf

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:54 am »

Idea: do a poll in the forum or whatever about the mini skin and skin manager  features: just a basic poll, want back, indifferent, dont want.

just an idea.....

I like the idea of the poll... For me, the mini-skin is much more important than any of the new / improved features in MC19 (zone settings, video, RAW images, etc).

In fact, I'd probably be happier with version 16 (or maybe even 10!), that had mini-skins, than with 19. But I decided to support MC and, if I'm paying for it, I'll use the latest.

I've been using MC for more than 15 years and, for me, it is a player with wonderful audio selection and exceptional ripping ability. I don't care about video or pictures. I don't have multiple zones (90% of the time, I am using it at the office). I even care little about support for 7.1 (I use a headphone). But I want to have my mini-player (that I exhaustively configured) to show exactly which music I am playing, how long it is, at which point it is now.

BTW, what happened with the "Recent Playing Now"? It used to have a number of playlists, now it only have the most recent one. If I happen to play one single music outside of my playlist, I lose the playlist.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2013, 11:55:57 am »

Yup, some of us are real big on mini skins and miss them tremendously.

And yes, the recent playing now playlists have been wonky for some time now  :(
. . . the game is rigged

BacHolz

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »

I don't have a strong affinity for the mini-player options but do miss the skin management feature. A small matter in the grand scheme of things but it seemed useful at those times, however infrequent, I use it to preview new skins as they become available or I grow curious for a fresh look.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:15 am »

BTW Marko: Is there any place I can get that playing now plugin???

woodsonjt

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 01:53:54 pm »

Seems like a big step backwards....Been using MC since about version 10 and have always primarily used the mini skins...was very disappointed when i recently upgraded to v18 and now v19.  even went back to v17 for a while for this reason alone...

obviously don't know the tech side of it...but don't understand why you would strip a capability?  sure there's a reason for it...

I definitely think its worth bumping up the priority of this...i don't think its "icing" but rather a core central UI issue. 

haven't seen the taskbar integration...seems like a good idea...is that already there in v19?  will go look for that now....

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2013, 04:58:24 pm »

Seems like a big step backwards....Been using MC since about version 10 and have always primarily used the mini skins...was very disappointed when i recently upgraded to v18 and now v19.  even went back to v17 for a while for this reason alone...

obviously don't know the tech side of it...but don't understand why you would strip a capability?  sure there's a reason for it...

Was windows specific and therefore not compatible with the new linux and mac versions.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

Was windows specific and therefore not compatible with the new linux and mac versions.

MAKE it compatible. Is it THAT difficult? A Mini Skin???

Or make it a windows only feature. But please just do it.  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »

I could give you Matt's home phone number if that would help.

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »

I could give you Matt's home phone number if that would help.

That sounded  ;D ...uhhh ... sarcastic ;) ?

Is it THAT difficult?

This was just intended as a genuine question.

From my point of view (I don´t know ANYTHING about coding) a mini skin and a skin manager should be a piece of cake compared to the rest of the awesome job you guys have done/are doing on MC...   Just think about it. I would tend to believe that most of use use MC on a regular work or home PC, NOT a dedicated media server with a 40" screen. I NEVER use theater view... just normal and when working (in the past sadly) I used the mini to keep it on top on a full screen excel for example...

Hope you could do it, I mean bring back mini skins and skin manager....

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »

What is wrong with using the Mini View in MC19? It has a skin on it.  :)

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

What is wrong with using the Mini View in MC19? It has a skin on it.  :)

It's too "fat"

take a look at "Blade" or "No Frills" miniskins. THAT is what I am talking about

dees_74

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 10:48:56 am »

I miss mini skins mainly because the "stock" mini-view is too large or "fat" as on person posted.  For those who use MC at their desk on a computer monitor, a variety of sizes and configurations for the mini view is really important.
I don't need a thousand reasons
When someone starts to cry.
When someone says, "My heart needs lifting,
Don't ask, "How come?"
Ask, "How high?"

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:52 am »

I miss mini skins mainly because the "stock" mini-view is too large or "fat" as on person posted.  For those who use MC at their desk on a computer monitor, a variety of sizes and configurations for the mini view is really important.

Agree  ;D

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 12:00:36 pm »

The problem I have always had with mini players is that while they may be smaller, they're never small enough to leave in an "always on-top" view without getting in the way of using other applications—so what's the point?

I'd much rather see JRiver's attention focused on improving the taskbar integration—that takes up zero space until you hover over the application's icon.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:25 pm »

The problem I have always had with mini players is that while they may be smaller, they're never small enough to leave in an "always on-top" view without getting in the way of using other applications—so what's the point?

The attached offers total control and never gets in the way. I would much rather see J River's attention focussed on getting this integrated as a default plugin :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2013, 12:26:05 pm »

I'd much rather see JRiver's attention focused on improving the taskbar integration—that takes up zero space until you hover over the application's icon.

For me personally, I agree.  I already use the taskbar buttons often when playing in the background.  It sort of does everything I want already, but I can imagine making it look a little fancier.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2013, 12:32:43 pm »

I dont see why we can't have both options. I like (cool marko  ;) ) the mini skins on top, the blade and fusion were an example of those also. marko kindly offered me a plugin that with some work is what he shows in his screen, also taskbar integration should be a must, but well others will ask about metro...

Given a choice or vote, give  me please 1st: mini, 2nd: taskbar. Stock, ingegrated into app, native options.

... and skin manager  ;D

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2013, 01:00:41 pm »

The attached offers total control and never gets in the way. I would much rather see J River's attention focussed on getting this integrated as a default plugin :)
Unless you happen to run a modern browser or application:

For me personally, I agree.  I already use the taskbar buttons often when playing in the background.  It sort of does everything I want already, but I can imagine making it look a little fancier.
I would like to see the thumbnail replaced with album art for the currently playing track (or a live view of the currently playing video) the play/pause button reacting to changes (and if possible, the icons moved down 1px or having the bottom border removed) and the option to rate the current file via the tasks list that you get from right-clicking the icon.
It would also be nice to have a couple of progress bar options as well: no status (as we see now) current track progress, and current playlist progress.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 01:33:19 pm »

Unless you happen to run a modern browser or application:
True, though this can be toggled in and out of view with a keyboard combo of your choice, or out of view with a mouse click.

If the taskbar thumbnail were to be developed further, it should also offer track information in the 'next' and 'previous' tooltips, and the ability to rate the current or previous track. Completely agree re. artwork instead of the program thumbnail.

-marko

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:44 pm »

True, though this can be toggled in and out of view with a keyboard combo of your choice, or out of view with a mouse click.
Right—in which case, why not alt-tab to the standard mini player or the full application, instead of a thin player with small controls?

If the taskbar thumbnail were to be developed further, it should also offer track information in the 'next' and 'previous' tooltips, and the ability to rate the current or previous track. Completely agree re. artwork instead of the program thumbnail.
If that's a possibility (I have no idea) that would be nice.

dcwebman

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:48 am »

Sorry to bring back this topic from the dead, but I have to put in my 2 cents. I primarily listen to music at work and had to have an external hard drive with my music since it couldn't be on my computer's hard drive. Since my external drive died back around MC 12, I just never got the time to rebuild it with a subset of files from home. So I used and still use Rhapsody to listen to music at work. I don't need the video and theater modes where MC was concentrating on but I faithfully upgraded to every version of MC. I was recently "forced" to purchase a new CD so I pulled up my MC 19 to rip it and then started playing it.

It has been a long time, but I could not find my mini skin selection so I could use No Frills again. When I copied No Frills into the folder, I saw there were the 3 old skins but I couldn't find how to select those either. Thankfully with some searching I found this topic and discovered mini skins were removed. Now with me being just a music listener with MC, I feel alienated with loss functionality.

I'm guessing it won't be coming back soon, but it sure would be nice.
Jeff

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 10:53:27 am »

Yes. It SURE would be nice....  >:(

Charlies Comic Books

• Recent member
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 09:29:26 am »

I sorely miss the skin manager and access to the mini skins I used for years.  To pay for an 'upgrade' and find that a favorite function is absent seems like a 'downgrade' to me.  Personally I listen to music...all the time.  I don't watch TV or film or video; I just listen to music so all of the theater upgrades mean nothing to me.  I would like the mini skins back.  The current default mini skin is useless as it doesn't even show a full display of what's playing and is a major disappointment.  I've been using and recommending this product since Media Jukebox 8 and I was happy with previous versions.  If I knew I'd lose my skins then I wouldn't have paid for the upgrade to 19.  I would revert to a previous version and never look for an upgrade again if I knew I'd get my old skin settings back.  Please listen to the requests of your customers and restore the popular function that you've removed![/color][/font][/font]

ElQuia

• World Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:11 am »

Totally agree. I have not bought the 19 upgrade yet. Still on 18.
I use MC mostly for music and I miss mini skins and skin manager.
An thinking in buying an USB DAC, If I do I will do some test with MC17 and a 19 trial to find out if sound is better. If I cant hear  difference I will maybe stay with 17

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »

The current default mini skin is useless as it doesn't even show a full display of what's playing
What do you mean it doesn't show the full display of what's playing?

lethrus

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:29 am »

As a long-time JRiver MC user, add me to the list of disappointed 19 users. I just upgraded from 16, and have used 19 for just a few minutes and am angry to see Skin Manager gone. It was the first setting I went to so I could customize my look. None of the available skins that come with the program interest me at all. I just don't understand software developers who remove great flexibility features in their 'upgrades.' It is likely that I will go back to using 16 to be honest, and have just wasted money on the upgrade. I told a friend, who was also interested in upgrading, about this feature loss and he he said that it was a deal breaker for him. He will stay with 15. Are you guys listening? Having the ability to select from dozens of skins, and the ability to keep things 'fresh' was one of the most attractive features of MC in my opinion. Quite frankly, you blew it guys. I guess my only hope now is to see its return in 20, but I won't hold my breath.  Please bring it back! ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 09:16:19 am »

Skins moved to the view menu.  Mini skins aren't available.  It was a consequence of porting to OSX and Linux.  Sorry.

lethrus

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:46 am »

Skins moved to the view menu.  Mini skins aren't available.  It was a consequence of porting to OSX and Linux.  Sorry.

Oh well, it is what it is. I understand. I like 19, and will use the update despite the loss of skin manager. Yes, I was really disappointed when this was first realized, but I have calmed down now and am getting used to the available skins. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up