INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turning a standard MC18 installation to PORTABLE  (Read 1399 times)

gmeardi

• Recent member
Turning a standard MC18 installation to PORTABLE
« on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:33 pm »

Hello,
I installed some weeks ago the eval/demo version of MC18, and setup somewhat 500GB of music.
After the 30 days period expired I purchased the full product, but I do now want to have a portable setup.

How can I migrate my standard MC18 to a portable folder?
I've setup a portable MC18 installation on the same HDD as my previous standard MC18, but the new portable one doesn't see all of my previous music organisation work.  I spent many hours to set it up and... I wouldn't like to do it again for a portable setup.
Is it only a matter of copying some data files?  ?

Many thanks in advance,
Gianluca

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Turning a standard MC18 installation to PORTABLE
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:37 pm »

Here are my thoughts.

First check the Wiki. This could be relevant:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Installation_Problems

Second (and this has worked for me), from a PC where the normal install of licenced MC to that PC's local hard drive has successfully completed, run the installation executable but at the relevant point select a portable installation. Point to the spot on the USB drive you're installing the portable version of MC then hit "go".

The portable version of MC will want to auto import files when it runs the first time. I stop this and set up the library folders to suit the directory structure of where the portable installation is living (for me, it's my work PC). Then, I run the import to set up the media library to suit.

Should be easy..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:00:54 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Portable_Drive_Installation

I looked on this page for something from the "one we prepared earlier" category:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
and I just checked again. I can't see an entry for "Portable Drive Installation".

Is there another index that I don't know about?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 06:37:50 am »

Just added.  Thanks.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:32 am »

Just added.  Thanks.

Cool. I'm a big fan of the Wiki. You had me doing a double take.
Pages: [1]   Go Up