INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theatre View - New challenge in naming sub-units of Seasons  (Read 1366 times)

cgroth

• World Citizen

Hi,

some of you may have seen my struggle in getting the name right for the sub-units of my TV Series Seasons. Since my collection is based on a back-up of approx 1,700 ripped DVDs, my content is disc based rather than episode based. So I wanted to play the ripped discs as if they were physical discs placed in a regular DVD Player (this set-up is for my wife who struggles with things PC based). And I wanted the label of the discs to be Dic X, Disc Y etc, rather than the filenames, since they were always VIDEO_TS. Finally I succeeded, and everything was fine (except that I cannot play BR in a useful way....).

Anywho, now me teenage son caught on to the wonderful world of MC18, and being able to watch all the content on the NAS in his own room by connecting his PC to his plasma screen. Turn out that he also has quite a lot of content, but his is of course structured along the lines of the majority of the people on this Forum; it is episode based.

So now, it seems I can chose either to have all my discs read "VIDEO_TS", or to have all his episodes read "Disc". That is clearly not good enough.

I guess the solution is to either label the sub-units with a very complex expression which uses the [Name] library field if the name isn't VIDEO_TS and the Disc [Disc#] if the name is VIDEO_TS, or can I somehow make the name of a file into Disc [Disc #] by manually running Library Tools > Fill info from filename? That would be the best solution, since I anyway always run this to get the disc numbers.

Thanks for your help!

BR
Chris

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Theatre View - New challenge in naming sub-units of Seasons
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 05:03:53 pm »

The easiest solution would be to set up different views for his files and yours. Just use [Filename (path)] in your rules for each view.
You might be able to come up with an expression which handles both in the same view though. Can you give an example filename (full path) for each type?

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 06:22:51 pm »

Hi and thansk for replying  :)

my filename path is: "\\READYNASULTRA6\Video\Shows\Dexter\Season 5\Disc 1\VIDEO_TS.IFO"
his filename path is : "\\READYNASULTRA6\Video\Shows\Dexter\Season 6\Dexter.S06E01.avi"

So for my part of the collection I use the Disc number, which corresponds to the physical disc, so for my wife it's just like remembering which disc to take out of the box and place in the DVD Player tray. Easy, though not necessarily very elegant.

For his collection, I guess the episode names are added automatically on import. I had originally thought I'd simply name each episode Disc 1, Disc 2 etc, but of course episode names are better, especially if I could have the episode number visible too, and the episodes sorted by episode number. That I can probably manage to do after some experimenting, but right now I thought it would make sense to name the discs "Disc [Disc #]", and then in the Tools > Options > Theatre View > Customize file info panel > Templates > TV Show > Manage > Edit Template > Caption > Regular just use [Name].

Otherwise I guess the expression logic would be to use Disc [Disc #] unless Disc # is emtpy (which they are for his content), in which case the label should be [Name].

I don't know if I could set up different views for his stuff and mine? How does that work? Also, I need to see everything in Theatre View.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 06:38:51 pm »

So I managed to get the episode numbers to show along with the episode titles, and to sort the episodes by episode number. I am starting to think that becacause I want the label for episodes to be both episode number and episode title, but for discs only Disc and disc number, it makes sense to create some sort of expression, rather than rename the files for my discs?

Any advice, hints, tips or comments are very welcome :-)

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:12 pm »

Oh, that sounds easier than I thought. I think you just need something like:

Code: [Select]
if(!isempty([Disc #]),
Disc/ [Disc #],
Episode/ [Episode]Delimit([Name],,/ -/ ))

if(…)
!isempty(…),,
Delimit(…)

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:33:01 am »

Oh, that sounds easier than I thought. I think you just need something like:

Code: [Select]
if(!isempty([Disc #]),
Disc/ [Disc #],
Episode/ [Episode]Delimit([Name],,/ -/ ))

That was perfect, plug and play, just out of the box!  ;D Thank you so much!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up