INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real JRiver playback of Web Videos  (Read 3185 times)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
Real JRiver playback of Web Videos
« on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:51 pm »

Generally, every device now has a Youtube App.

However, after "cutting the cord", I now play a lot of videos at web sites, usually Flash videos.

Usually they have a full screen toggle, but then I have very little control - for example, to pause I have to find the lower left corner with a mouse.

I'd like to use an MCE Remote, just as I can do with recorded TV tuner videos in MC18.

I've tried the web browser in MC18, but it just doesn't work very well for flash videos, and does not seem to play directly in the MC18 Video Player anyway.

Any solution ?

(Is there any other way to get MCE remote support for Firefox, for example ?)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Real JRiver playback of Web Videos
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 01:28:11 pm »

This is one of the big disadvantages of web based video services.

duskdrums

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:32:25 pm »

First, I've found you'll have better luck using the Chromium web engine rather the internet explorer.  (Options > Tree & View > Engine. change to Chromium)

Overall there's probably no real great way of doing this but here would be one idea:

Currently when you load a webpage in theater view it loads it below the normal MC navigation bar, so you're stuck with not having it be full screen. Would there be a way in the theater view options when you are adding the the new item as a new webpage to have a check mark such that Theater View loaded it without the navigation bar at top? Maybe then a back button or the like would take up back up a level?

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 11:34:27 am »

The YouTube integration in Media Center generally works reasonably well for me, though I would really like to see support added for their RSS feeds so I can subscribe to a channel and have Media Center automatically download new videos as they are posted.
My internet connection here seems to be getting worse rather than better (the provider just dropped their DSL speeds from "20mb" to "16mb") so it's much better if Media Center has already downloaded new videos to watch in the background rather than trying to stream them.

It would be nice if there could be some kind of Media Center integration with non-US streaming services, but I suppose it's up to the providers to supply an open API before anything like that can happen. (I suppose Netflix does this?)

I'd really like to see Twitch.tv integration though. Trying to download those videos is a pain, because they get split into 30-minute segments which you have to download individually. (and I have to use the browser's console to find the URLs for the .MP4 files)

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 12:09:46 pm »

First, I've found you'll have better luck using the Chromium web engine rather the internet explorer.  (Options > Tree & View > Engine. change to Chromium)
Unfortunately, I have use the Chromium web engine, then MC18 hangs.  Other people have described the same behavior.

Actually, support for Mozilla (Firefox) would be a helpful MC19 feature.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »

Unfortunately, I have use the Chromium web engine, then MC18 hangs.  Other people have described the same behavior.
Actually, support for Mozilla (Firefox) would be a helpful MC19 feature.
I'm guessing that IE and Chromium are options because they have Flash built in. Firefox does not. (I don't have Flash installed)

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »

IE is an option because it's simply present on every system and not all that hard to integrate.

Chromium also has some neat integration kit which makes bundling it quite easy, but I don't think the flash is part of chromium, rather part of chrome proper.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

racefacexc

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 09:28:21 am »

can flash be added/installed on chromium? 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 10:03:32 am »

Try an Internet search.  I believe Google includes Flash in their browsers.

connersw

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:06:00 am »

Kylo is the best HTPC browser I have found for this reason: you can toggle on remote cursor controls so that you can use the up/down/left/right buttons on your remote to move the cursor.  It is Firefox based.  http://kylo.tv/

Unfortunately, development for it stopped ~2-years ago.  It's not perfect, and what you get is what you get now.  Since Firefox has changed so much in that time, if you'd like to run Add-ons (AdBlock Plus for example), you need to track down archived versions that are compatible.  

An integration of Kylo within MC would be the bomb (it is open sourced).  For now, you can just add it as an External Program in Theater View.  I currently run it without MC's audio engine because Loopback has never been a reliable option for me (inconsistent playback, stuttering, too confusing for the rest of the family, etc).  If you have success with Loopback though, you could run it that way or hopefully Loopback will not be needed in the future.  

racefacexc

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 10:23:31 am »

Try an Internet search.  I believe Google includes Flash in their browsers.

It certainly is included in chrome, if that is what you are referring to.  But the chromium engine in JRiver does not have flash included as far as i can tell.  I have setup the theater view home screen to have selections of "HBO Go", "Netflix", "Hulu", etc and it uses whatever browser engine is set in "Tree & View" menu.  When accessing HBO Go website, iyt says "You need Adobe Flash Player 10.2 to view HBO Go."  There is a link to download it and when i click to install, it says "to proceed, open your download folder and find the adobe flash player installer".  I never see anything download, i cannot access a download history via ctrl+J, and cannot find the setup file anywhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up