INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortest lived keyboard ever  (Read 2684 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Shortest lived keyboard ever
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:44:37 pm »

My trusty old Microsoft 4000 keyboard on my home computer was starting to act spotty.  Some days the 'c' key would make a 'c' and a 'z'.  It's probably 5 or more years old.

So I ordered a new one from Amazon and installed it this morning.  I typed a few characters and it worked great.

Then, while cleaning up my desk a few minutes later, I spilled an entire cup of water on the new keyboard.  It killed it.

Did I set a record by getting less than 20 minutes and five words out of a new keyboard?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Shortest lived keyboard ever
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 09:19:20 pm »

My trusty old Microsoft 4000 keyboard on my home computer was starting to act spotty.  Some days the 'c' key would make a 'c' and a 'z'.  It's probably 5 or more years old.

So I ordered a new one from Amazon and installed it this morning.  I typed a few characters and it worked great.

Then, while cleaning up my desk a few minutes later, I spilled an entire cup of water on the new keyboard.  It killed it.

Did I set a record by getting less than 20 minutes and five words out of a new keyboard?
Put it in the oven at 450.  Set the timer for 15 minutes.

dean70

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »

Put it in the oven at 450.  Set the timer for 15 minutes.

I wasn't sure if this was sarcasm, but I tried it.

450 for 15 minutes was way too hot, for way too long.  The keyboard was like a wet noodle when I pulled it out of oven.  The bottom got all deformed.  It still won't type, although sometimes it will repeat the slash character forever.

So for anyone following along, try the oven at 200 for 5 minutes.  Let the keyboard cool, then repeat.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:42:50 am »

450 for 15 minutes was way too hot, for way too long.  The keyboard was like a wet noodle when I pulled it out of oven.  The bottom got all deformed.  It still won't type, although sometimes it will repeat the slash character forever.

So for anyone following along, try the oven at 200 for 5 minutes.  Let the keyboard cool, then repeat.

You can fix this by putting it back in the oven but up side down. That will revert the changes.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:47:43 am »

Back in the winter I purchased a digital thermometer online.
It arrived at my office where I unwrapped it, popped the battery in and watched it display the temperature.
I then placed the thermometer underneath my computer screen.  As I with drew my hand I just caught it with my little finger, and knocked it plop straight into my hot cup of tea in front of the screen.
Time from opening package to submersion - about 45 seconds I reckon.

Arindelle

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:10:05 am »

;D ;D
it better have been sarcasm .. and you tried it .. for 15 minutes  ;D ;D

I spill beer, coffee, and even some Chinese hot sauce once, unfortunately on a regular basis (wired keyboard) .... and too often it looks like I use it as a peanut bowl and an ashtray too (I miss a lot^^).

Another less "invasive" method ... Open up the keyboard if possible. rinse quickly in DISTILLED water and get rid of as much water(distilled!) as possible. Get a plastic bag that fits and put some rice in it. Wait awhile (a day) the rice absorbs the water - use some compressed air to be sure its dry and no rice is stuck; Put it back together. Most of the time it works  8)

Never tried this on wireless keyboards, I admit. But a friend of mine cleans recycled motherboards this way too

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 07:20:39 am »

Have you heard that the word "gullible" has been removed from the dictionary?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:27:53 am »

It could have been worse..... it could have been in Centigrade!
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 12:15:34 pm »

450!

Apparently your wife is the go-to person for oven work.  Stick with audio technology.  :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:44:32 pm »

Hmmm... Microsoft 4000.... I had one hooked up to the Home Theater PC by long USB wire under the couch.

Recently, several keys stopped working ... I continued to use it only to Pause videos (big space bar)... but finally bought a Logitech K350 wireless.... bleh.... I really like the Logitech mice, but this is nowheres as good.

Anything out there as good as the Microsoft 4000, but wireless ??

JeTie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »

I used a Keysonic ACK-540RF+ Mini for some time, it has an integrated Touchpad and since it's a RF keyboard it works w/o drivers right after PC power on. Unfortunately it a little bulky and heavy, the batteries last not very long - I discharged it after 6 weeks because the key mechanics is really low cost (jams included).

Then I switched to this one...
Photo: https://www.tbs-technology.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/7_2.jpg
...a real masterpiece. It's small, lightweight, overall excellent quality, has an integrated trackball and a scrollwheel. It's bluetooth and comes with a receiver for the USB port.
I would recommend it but have seen it so for only with German layout; don't know whether it's available in USA.

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 08:24:28 am »

I've been on the keyboard hunt since my trusty Phillips IR keyboard seems to have died a couple of weeks ago. I'm currently using the Logitech K400. I like the integrated touchpad, but hate the right shift key.

I've also got a Rapoo Blade E9180P on order. I've sent back 2 other Rapoos (darn, that's an ugly word to type). The 2700 was just too small for my hands and lap, but I loved the build quality and the key feel. The 9080 had a bit of a squirrelly touchpad, but again, the board itself had an excellent quality feel to it. I'm hoping the new one will hit the sweet spot, because I don't think the Logitech will do for the long-term.

brad

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 08:59:05 pm »

Actually there is a good thread here on Interact with other options:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72650.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up