INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WASAPI - SP/DIF (OPTICAL) - BAD CLIPPING DISTORTION.  (Read 2916 times)

barneypooch

• Recent member
WASAPI - SP/DIF (OPTICAL) - BAD CLIPPING DISTORTION.
« on: July 28, 2013, 04:50:02 am »

I'm getting the same problem as the chap in this post from January '13. Via optical to an external (high quality) DAC, I have terrible clipping-type distortion. Very loud, nasty "cracks" on peaks.

I can't find an answer on the forums. It goes away temporarily if I reinstall. Also, it doesn't happen via HDMI to my receiver.

Anybody got an idea? I'm on the latest build. IIRC it started about three builds ago (not sure if that's relevant, though).

Has anyone else noticed distortion when using WASAPI? I have experienced it on two of my systems, on both Win 7 and Win 8, both regular WASAPI (push?) and event-mode.

If I change the output format from WASAPI to either DS or Kernel Streaming, and turn the volume on my soundcard down to around 85%, the distortion goes away.

As mentioned, this occurs on both my desktop system - using a USB headphone amp, as well as my 2 channel "reference" system at home (optical connection from soundcard into a high-end DAC).

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WASAPI - SP/DIF (OPTICAL) - BAD CLIPPING DISTORTION.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 07:17:07 am »

What build are you using?  The most recent one is at the top of the MC18 board.

Did you try the WASAPI setting called "Disable Event Style?

barneypooch

• Recent member
Re: WASAPI - SP/DIF (OPTICAL) - BAD CLIPPING DISTORTION.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:49:31 am »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. As of yesterday the problem hasn't recurred. If or when it does I'll try disabling event style and report back.

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up