INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Share database to multiple computers? On NAS?  (Read 4723 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Share database to multiple computers? On NAS?
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:25:22 pm »

Hey all it's me again.

I did a search on "Database on NAS" and "Share Database" but it didn't come back with anything.

As powerful as this software is I am sure there must be a way to share the database within the network for access by different computers?

If possible I would also like it to be on my NAS server.

I user UNC paths for everything so having the same paths should not be an issue.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Carl.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Share database to multiple computers? On NAS?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 06:30:50 pm »

The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:04:19 pm »

Thank you.

I have managed to move my database to my NAS server and set up the database sharing.

However I believe the database is still being shared via the main computer.  Is there a way for the database to sit on my NAS server and not require the main computer to be on to access it?

I also managed to connect my Popcorn Hour A-400 to it via DLNA but the lag between songs was too much.

Thanks again.

Carl.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:48 pm »

Any MC can open the Library.  The first will have read/write access, others read-only.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 10:08:25 pm »

Any MC can open the Library.  The first will have read/write access, others read-only.

So does that mean that I should be pointing my second computer to the database location instead of putting in the Connection code?  (If I want to be able to leave my other computer turned off?

And the changes will be seen by the other computer when I next turn it on and connect?

Carl.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 10:14:54 pm »

csimon

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:18 am »

I think what the OP is saying is that he wants to be able to access the library while the main computer is switched off, i.e. it all resides on the NAS.

I think this is possible if you move MC's *database*, i.e.the library, to the NAS, but a network location is not recommended I believe, especially as it will lead to file sharing problems with multiple computers.

I think what the OP is saying is that he has moved the *files* to the NAS, with the library remaining on the main computer.  If this is the case then the main computer must be switched on so that other clients can access it. Unless the library is *copied* to the client computers on a regular basis and operated like a local library.

If the NAS has a built-in DLNA server then you can share it without MC and client installations of MC can connect to it as remote DLNA server while the main computer is switched off.

MC doesn't run in NAS's so there is no way to access MC's database while the computer is switched off.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03:47 am »

Yeah, understood.   I thought that this was self-evident.  What would any MC connect to if the Library host was offline?  Therefore, it follows that the Library must be on some running system, and in the OPs case, this is the NAS.

Sorry, I should have taken more time to be clearer.

jctcom

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:33:03 pm »

Hey guys.

I have successfully connected to the database directly on the NAS and it does work.

The only caveat I can see is that any updates to the files / tags so not seem to update afterwards on the main computer until you tell it to update them from tags.

This almost leads me to believe that even though the actual database is on the NAS there are still some components that reside on the local computer.

I didn't leave it long enough to see if the files would eventually update on their own.  Even with the connection to the database on the main computer updates are not instant.  So still have to play around a bit with that.

Probably though I will leave the database on the NAS but connect to it via the main computer and the "Key" system. 

Carl.

csimon

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 03:48:11 pm »

Could you clarify for me how you have put the database onto the NAS?  What options/paths did you change in MC to achieve this? And how you are you connecting the second PC to it?

jctcom

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:51:12 pm »

In MC under the Playing Now"

Click on your current active library.
Then you will see a bunch of options like Rename, Backup, restore etc...

I selected the "Clone Library" option and pointed it to an empty folder on the NAS.

Once it was done on the other computers I just pointed the new libraries to that folder rather than putting in the code.  (Actually I have two 1 with the code and 1 pointing directly to the folder set.)

Keep in mind I use all UNC paths.  So no problems losing mapped drives or disconnecting etc....

I don't use mapped drives for anything as I generally find it causes more problems than it solves.  Even all my renaming and ripping templates us UNC paths.  It's been working great so far.

Carl.

csimon

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 05:20:08 pm »

Interesting, thanks! I'd always thought (as I mentioned above) that it was not recommended to put a library on a network location, and also not to point two copies of MC at the same library. The former because of performance issues, and the latter because of file locking/update issues. But perhaps this is sorted now. As MrC says, perhaps MC knows that one copy has already got it open and therefore only opens it in read-only mode. This is probably what you have discovered - that updating the library using the second computer doesn't work because the first one already has it open.

If you link to a library with a code then you are linking to a particular MC instance, therefore even if the common library resides on a NAS, you are linking to the copy of MC that is using the NAS, so in this case you will still need that computer switched on.

But in theory, if this does work, then it solves the problem of using library server to have to sync changes between computers.  It would then be possible to rip, tag etc from any computer to the same library, with the caveat that there can only be one updating computer at any one time, so I guess you'd have to shut down one copy if you planned to update using another computer.  But that's ideal really, as many people want to be able to maintain the database using an "office/study" PC but still access the same library from a HTPC in the living room, which is not possible using library server. This is what has stumped me so far.

It's still not true client/server though, it's as though all copies of MC have their own local library. They're not using server technology at all, they're simply using Windows file sharing.

jctcom

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 05:36:33 pm »

What he said. 

lol

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up