INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import doesn't get them all  (Read 1889 times)

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
Import doesn't get them all
« on: January 27, 2015, 08:01:53 pm »

Hi fellow MC'ers. I have a problem I cannot solve. I have about 80k Mp3s in a directory, each song is in a folder named for the album, nested in the folder for artists. My Library only imports 20203 of them. No matter what I change it doesn't see all of them. If Ibuild a new library, it gets them all, but my current library just doesn't see them. I can't dump my library as it has lots of tv shows and movies marked with watched status. Nothng is more frustrating than watching a show and then all of sudden noticing we have seen it, cause the library had to be restored.  How do I reset the library (clear), so it gets all my songs, without losing the watched status on the videos? The built in veiw "files" shows only 20203 too, it isnt a view programming problem.
The files are on a NAS, and have given no problems for MC in the past years. I just noticed a song missing, and then after investigation i see 75% missing. Other machines see them all too, just this library. If I drag and drop the song it gets added to the library. Which made me look at the songs I do have. Some artists are complete, some only have a song or two or three in the album folder according to MC, but they are all there. If I see any pattern, it is in the albums with only a few songs, they are my favorite from the album, and could have been played at some time.

Thanks!

Don

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import doesn't get them all
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:01 pm »

Make sure the following option is unchecked, then try importing again:

Options> Library & Folders>Auto-Import>Configure auto-import>Ignore files previously removed from library

While you're there, you can also make sure Fix broken links:is set to No

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:19 am »

If you ever deleted the files, they won't be re-imported by default, unless you tell MC to do so.  The setting is in the auto import options.  Edit the directory you're importing from to see it.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:09 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have tried toggling both of those. I used to use "Protect Network Files" for "Fix Broken Links"
But nothing changes no matter where I set it.
JimH, I assume you mean the box "Ignore Files Removed" That is always unchecked here.
Even if I manually import the directory, it still misses them. They are down to 17k now. :)

I have a backup of the music files on a separate server. If I import that directory it gets them all.
The files are mirrored weekly so they are the same files. Just something about the location.
I may just rename the share and see what MC thinks. :)

Thanks

Don

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »

For more information, read:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Auto-Import

In the vast majority of cases I've ever seen, if users report that files aren't getting imported it is either:

* The option to ignore previously removed files is enabled
* They ARE imported, already, and are "lost" (with incorrect or unexpected tags)

Please note that if you imported them, got the tags all messed up, and thought something like: "I'll just remove them and re-import them to fix them."  This will not work.  When you re-import a previously removed file, MC "undeletes" the original record and does not re-import the file (meaning, you don't lose all of your tag data if you accidentally removed a file).  If you want to remove them and re-import them fresh, there is more you have to do:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72593.msg491631#msg491631

If you post a Library Backup and explain what files you're looking for (with example paths) I'll load the Library and look for you.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:39:07 pm »

Doesn't the default view "Files" show all files regardless of tagging?
That's where I go to look if I can't find a file I know I have. I discover what tagging issue is there and fix it.
But "files" showed only 17k.
I told the machine MC resides on to "map a drive" to the files. So the path changed. I added that path to autoimport and ran it. That fixed it, all files imported.
I appreciate the offer to look at my library, but it is 20 megs..  and, the problem seems to be with the path. I am not sure why it is the path, but since it is tied to the library I have now (A new library on the same machine gets them all) it must have something to do with a past delete or some old flag somewhere. I am not a programmer at all, but I can troubleshoot. :)

Thanks for Media Center! Without it my files would be a mess. From the Theater view in the front room to the Standard view in the gameroom, to the "always plays everything" codecs used, it is the best Media Player/Organizer out there. Super powerful. "Play me a rock tune from 1979 that we haven't played in a year"....No problem.

And great support too!

Thanks

Don

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:40:53 pm »

Thank you.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 01:55:33 pm »

Doesn't the default view "Files" show all files regardless of tagging?

Nope.  Still depends on a few fields to be correct.  Mostly [Media Type].

The parent Audio, Video, and Images Media Views have filters for [Media Type] = [Audio] (or whatever), which is how the Audio part of the tree only shows Audio files.

So, for a file to show in the Audio > Files default view, it must be tagged as [Media Type] = Audio.  So, if one of these things happened:

* MC's import system mis-identified the file as a Video or Data media type.
* You got drunk and accidentally changed the [Media Type] tag for those files.

Then they wouldn't show there.  Also, if you added any other filters to the top-level Audio Media View, then these could be excluding things from that Files view.

If you want a TRUE "all files" view, you can make your own Top-Level Media View in the tree that shows all files, regardless of Media Type, and put some views underneath that for maintenance.  I have one called Advanced.  You can also just make a Smartlist with no rules if you don't need to sub-filter it.

forbigd

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:44:35 am »

[You got drunk and accidentally changed the [Media Type] tag for those files.]
A real possibility. :)

But not this time. I restored the Library back to broken and made a smartlist with no parameters. It also showed only 20k imported from about 65k. It isn't they are tagged wrong, they just don't get imported. Using the mapped drive though all works fine. Sure I would like to know what went wrong, but the fix is simple. I use mapped drives for TV and Movies to hopefully get MC to scan them faster. So I am used to having several mapped drives. I will add something to MC but it can take over an hour to import it because it isn't local. Mapped drives seem to help.

Thanks
Don

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:24 am »

Mind sending me a copy of the Library Backup?  I'd like to check it out.

You can use WikiSend to PM me a link, if you don't have something like Dropbox yourself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up