INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't Set Up Media Network  (Read 3382 times)

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
Can't Set Up Media Network
« on: August 19, 2013, 09:50:21 pm »

I am getting very frustrated trying to synch the library on my desktop where I do all the editing (Server) with my music server (Client). I have been unable to find a comprehensive set of instructions on how to do this. I have added a new library on the Client, "Shared Library". I have tried to use Sync Library on the Client to sync it with the Server. I entered the access code, but nothing seems to happen. I also tried entering the IP address of the Server instead but that didn't seem to make any difference. Clicking on "Shared Library" on the Client loads nothing - there is no reaction at all. I should mention that all music files are stored on a NAS (M;) drive.   

Specific Questions:

In Sync Library on the Client, what am I supposed to enter as File Location? The location of the audio files on the NAS (M:) or the location of the library on the Client?
In setting up Authentication on the Server, what credentials am I supposed to enter, my credentials for the server or the credentials for the Client?
Is there a detailed set of instructions somewhere with examples? What's on the Wiki is hopelessly sparse.

DaveMan538

• Recent member
  • So much good music. So little time...
Re: Can't Set Up Media Network
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:57:29 pm »

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server might be of some help.  I think in the article, they refer to the "Server" as the machine where the files reside.  The "Client" is the machine you're playing the files on.  In my case, the files reside in the Living Room (server) and I access those files from the office on my machine there (client).  However, if I'm in the living room playing files that reside in the office, the computer roles are reversed.
 ;D

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:22:53 am »

Thanks for the reply, but trying to follow the steps outlined at the Library Server link just illustrates the inadequacy of the instructions and the problems I am encountering. After performing Steps 1 and 2 under "Access from another PC on your LAN", the client PC does not load the library. Step 4 does not apply to NAS folders, i.e. there is no "Share with" when you right click, and my network is a workgroup, not Windows' Homegroup. I have mapped the NAS (M:) drive where the music files are stored in he same manner on both PC's.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 02:11:40 pm »

Hi

I just wrote this in another thread .... might answer a couple of questions even though your setup is not necessarily the same. I tried to be pretty thorough - you can use it as a checklist and there is a small explanation on syncing in the third part

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81262.msg564424#msg564424

hope it helps you

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:47:20 pm »

Many thanks, Arindelle. This is the type of guide I was hoping to find. Will post how things turn out.

Airfla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

I am happy to report that I got the Shared Library up and running. I had left the "project" alone because my DAC didn't arrive until Wednesday. However, after the Shared Library was set up, I then discovered that for some reason about half the small thumbnails in File view were missing, despite the fact that cover art displayed for all albums both in Album and Artist view. I solved that problem today by manually selecting lists, right clicking, and rebuilding the missing thumbnails. 

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:52:43 am »

I'm interested in this quite a bit. I've had issues with my client/server, and the ability to get things running as I had hoped (here's my eternally frustrating thread: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?action=profile;u=125125;sa=showPosts). I could only use "Playing Here" and "Playing There" from the Client to the Server, and could never control the Client from the Server(!).

I'm wondering if (part of?) my problem is the way I configured things when I installed the software.

I had assumed that keeping configuration files in a common area (on my NAS, but in a different file folder ("JRiver")) would allow settings, views, etc. to remain common. Minimizing hard disk storage, getting away from Windows' standard "Users\xxx\My Documents\blahblahblah" recommendations, I would co-mingle the settings from the Client and the Server.

What's the recommendation there for a uniform setup on Windows (one Server, 2 Clients), with a separate NAS? Let MC19 put the files where they default in Setup?
Pages: [1]   Go Up