INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't revert to 7.2  (Read 2283 times)

MikeFowler

Can't revert to 7.2
« on: March 16, 2002, 09:30:16 am »

I've installed version 8, but want to revert to 7.2. Have uninstalled 8, try installing 7.2, but get error 'Failed to initialise registration control' on start.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:Can't revert to 7.2
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2002, 09:42:41 am »

You also have to clean your registry. Unless you know what you're doing, you must proceed with caution and MAKE A BACKUP. You can "run" "regedit" but I prefer to use
RegCleaner. http://www.jv16.org/ It's a lot more user friendly and still does what you need to do. It's also freeware.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

LCtheDJ

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2002, 11:37:57 am »

I had the same experience.  Then I couldn't get v8 to install again either.  Finally after deleting every related registry entry I could find (JRiver, J River, MediaJukebox, etc.), I got v8 to install again.

Shouldn't MJ's uninstal take care of ALL the things necessary to get it ALL uninstalled?  I think it should.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2002, 11:42:28 am »

it may also be a OS problem (not saying it is but it could be part of MS's problem) the OS will somtimes add registry entries of it's own like maybe of a "MP3" file that was played etc....
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2002, 11:48:32 am »

You can try this .Restart your computer in safe mode and delete the Rivers folder.Reboot,try to install 7.2.It may work or not.I had it TWO times with this f### beta=reformat last sunday,another one today.
I love this program and the people behind it.But to give acces to anyone to a beta who can just destroy your system,this i do not love.I am so uppset that i still have to reinstall 7.2 on my computer,and i do not feel like  to do it just now

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2002, 11:58:47 am »

Zevele10,

What exactly did Version 8 do? How do you know that your problem was caused by Version 8. I'm not saying that it didn't but I have had almost ALL versions of 8 and, while some worked better than others and a couple of times the CD RW drive was not recognized and sometimes the visualizations would cause MJ to crash, I've never heard of it messing up anyone's system before. It never caused any apparent harm to mine.

CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

zevele1

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2002, 12:24:18 pm »

I do not speak about the problems you have when you run a beta.This is ok.But the fact that you cannot run 7.2 after you uninstall 8.Even if you rebot after uninstall.EVEN IF YOU USE A UNISTALLER PROGRAM !!!!And,if you run ME,the fact that system restore do not work anymore.
I did a test,running system restor just before 8=ok.After 8= kappout
The first beta i got was 2 numbers before the last one.Was a bug in vis and all my programs got fatal error.And i was not able to run 7.2 after this,the same error that on the first post.I got again the same beta on a system with only Netscape,soundcard and Windows updates and boom! Again!
I got the beta before the last one=GREAT.Upgrade to the last beta=again boom!From there system restore not working,beta from before do not work,7.2 do not work

Because of it i am mad at MediaJukebox,not because i had problems with the beta

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 12:37:54 pm »

My computer is fine.I never ever have the "death blue screen'I had the shop doing a check this week,cause King told me that it can be the OS.No problem at any level
So now it is sure that ,even if i like it,ME has very strange behaviors.But i know the problems,i know how to set all the OS.It takes a full half day ,but i get very very good resuls
Maybe ME does not like beta and mess around if you run one
I had  big problems with the last beta of Imesh
But with 8 ,i saw strange things
Anyway,i will,of cause,run 7.2.In few days i will not resist anymore and try the last beta out ,and maybe restart all the story again

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2002, 01:01:01 pm »

>> King told me that it can be the OS
well more like a problem with the OS on your system, since it runs under Windows ME fine
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2002, 01:16:54 pm »

King
What do you mean by system exatly?If you do a clean install,your os has to be ok?
I allways have clean install,cause i do it very often.And i mean clean.No back up,so nothing from the last built on my computer after a clean install
Beside this it is not all the builts who give me problems.The built before the last one was really fine
The problem at the start was that Mike was not able to reberse to 7.2
So, Mike wich Windows do you run?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2002, 01:27:54 pm »

just at possible problem.

just because someone tells you something does not make it so For me or other users.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2002, 01:36:05 pm »

KingSparta
ok,i understand
If you do a clean install without problems and the updates you need to do,can you have a problem with the OS?
I mean even one hour later?
I do not know,i just ask you
There is some problems  with ME.For exemple the sound of pinball 2 has a bug and will crash MediaJukebox if you try to import it
WindowsMediaplayer import it,and crash when you want to play..And  there is many more than this one

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2002, 01:41:34 pm »

Crystal ball going dark

some users to include my self have blamed software and Os in the past and come to find out it was a hardware problem.

nothing is an exact science
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2002, 01:48:18 pm »

As you say"cristal ball going dark'
There is so much possible raisons..
By the way,i was sure you are on XP

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2002, 02:37:32 pm »

I had 3 computers upto about 2 weeks ago, and it had Windows ME on it, the Other Had Windows 98SE

i gave 2 of them to GoodWill
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2002, 05:52:01 pm »

Jeez. I was just asking.
That's right.
I'm cool.

Mr. John

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2002, 01:53:49 am »

I tried to uninstall V.8, so I could install V.7.2, but it wouldn't work. I went to Add\Remove Programs on Control Panel, in Settings, from Start, and removed Media Jukebox V.8.0. Then I tried to install V.7.2. I did and it works fine.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2002, 04:06:51 am »

some times i think the problem may be that some of the MJ dlls may be running and a un-install and install with out a re-boot will keep it from running and copying all the proper files.

i recomend a reboot, un-install, re-boot, install, and at this point i think MJ may ask you to reboot not sure.

This is why some users may re-install 2 times before it works.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2002, 07:00:08 am »

KingSparta
HERE WE ARE!
The problem IS dlls runing.
I never did rebot BEFORE uninstal.Most of the time,you cannot delete the Rivers folder because  a dlls is in use by Windows NOT MediaJukebox
At this point ,it is to late,the mess is done.Even if you bot on safe mode.You can delete the Rivers folder.But after another reboot and instal,you cannot open or 7.2 or any 8  beta number
In this case, if you want to reverse to 7.2 or a previous number of 8 ,the safer way is rebot on safe mode and unistal MediaJukebox,rebot and instal.
But ,if this is the way to do it.
IT HAS TO BE IN BLOCK LETTERS ON THE TOP OF EACH POST ABOUT A NEW BETA NUMBER

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2002, 07:29:25 am »

zevele10

So is it working now?
Fayetteville, NC, USA

zevele1

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2002, 07:45:23 am »

I do not know.I did a clean instal yesterday and i have 7.2 for now.
But i think that if you do not =rebot-ininstal-rebot-instal from the start ,it is TO LATE after
Here an other possibility:most of the time you want to reverse to 7.2 or a previous number of 8 because you have big problems.Maybe all the problems lead to the fact you cannot run an other version
I may try the number before the last one,but maybe the next number is for soon

zevele1

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2002, 10:21:52 am »

KingSpata
I had a try to last built=more than 10 cold bots in 2 hours
BUT cold rebot-start in safe mode-uninstall 8-rebot-install 7-rebot and...7 works!
Did one cd on mp3,was fast enougth to me.I have more to do,will use DBpower
Pages: [1]   Go Up