INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo 19.0.32  (Read 10093 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Gizmo 19.0.32
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:32:36 pm »

This is the latest version of Gizmo (JRiver's Android application).  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted.

Download: http://jriver.com/install_gizmo.html

The build will move to the Play Store at a later date, after testing here.

19.0.32 / 75 (August 28, 2013)

NEW: Added the ability to 'Play (with Play Doctor)' from anywhere in the audio browse tree.
NEW: When a server call fails, the program will retry a few times.
NEW: The program will attempt to automatically switch the server IP address as it transitions from wifi to data.
NEW: File playback caching uses ranged requests so an interrupted download is resumed instead of restarted.
Faster: When there is no wifi or ethernet, connecting to a server will skip local addresses.
Changed: Audio playback loops the playlist until stopped (unless the playlist is only one track).
Changed: Added a system so that partial cache entries (from a crash or other problem) will never get used.

19.0.31 / 74

NEW: Improved cache system so that the playback of the first file also plays from cache (but playback still starts immediately).

19.0.30 / 73

NEW: Playback on device uses a caching system that reads-ahead and keeps files between runs, increasing reliability with weak connections.
Faster: Browsing switches screens faster.
Faster: Android 4 devices load thumbnails concurrently for improved performance.
Faster: When connected to MC19, thumbnails load faster.  

18.0.180 / 72

Changed: Errors communicating with the server show an information bubble, but don't cause the program to automatically reconnect to the server.
Changed: When acting as a remote, an error communicating with the server to get information about what's playing will look more transparent.
Changed: When playing on the device, the program will retry for up to 10 minutes to open the URL to better handle sporadic connections.

18.0.171 / 71

NEW: Totally revised Theater View remote mode.
Changed: Requires Android 2.2 or newer.
Changed: Switched to newer more efficient networking API.
Changed: Connecting will wait less time waiting for each IP address, but will retry more times (should reduce connect time in many cases).
Changed: Tuned the default timeout for web service calls to wait a little longer (should help prevent reconnects with spotty coverage).

18.0.126 / 67

NEW: It is possible to connect using an IP address.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Gizmo 19.0.32
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 05:47:24 pm »

Seems pretty good in handling the switch from WiFi to Data and back again.  In watching the cache, I could see the download stop when WiFi went off, then a new dl start when Data was established and the same back again.  The partial file was also deleted at one point (good).

I did see some odd behaviour:
1) On my first run, Gizmo loaded fine, connected and let me browse but when I first playing an Album I got a quick "Could not connect" error msg even though it started playing fine.  
2) I was switching between the Home Screen, Gizmo, Root Explorer etc to see what was happening and on one of the switching away from Gizmo events (pressing the home screen) playback stoped.  When I when back into Gizmo it was reconnecting to the server.
JRiver CEO Elect

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:45:52 am »

I started Play Doctor in the garage, drove away, and it worked beautifully today.  No gaps or sputters, track changes were fast, etc.

I was feeling really smug.

Then about a block from work the music stopped and it was back at the connect screen.  I think that means it crashed, but I'm not sure.

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:19:57 pm »

Changes made in 'Customize views for Gizmo and WebGizmo' don't show up in Gizmo easily.
The only time I've seen them reflected was after Gizmo crashed.

Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 05:15:35 am »

Seems pretty good in handling the switch from WiFi to Data and back again.  In watching the cache, I could see the download stop when WiFi went off, then a new dl start when Data was established and the same back again.  The partial file was also deleted at one point (good).

Can't it be smarter and continue a download where it took off?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 08:48:11 am »

Can't it be smarter and continue a download where it took off?

It is.  In build 32 above:
NEW: File playback caching uses ranged requests so an interrupted download is resumed instead of restarted.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 08:50:15 am »

Awesome!  :D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 03:52:30 pm »

This should be on the Play Store in the next hour or so.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:54:22 am »

No 'unfortunately...' stop errors for a couple of days now...

The library playstats and last.fm submission issues still require to be addressed.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

The library playstats and last.fm submission issues still require to be addressed.

Agreed.

The file request and the play stat calls need to be separated.  Hopefully this will happen in the next few weeks as we chip away at our Gizmo list, but feel free to remind me.

dean70

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 05:05:21 pm »

Can more info be added to the Track list view? There is a lot a dead space to the right of the listing that could be used to display track durations, etc (or even an expression field?  8)

digitald

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 03:00:30 pm »

Using latest android gizmo having problems keep getting error communicating with the server & app stops.
Did not have this problem with prior versions any work arounds?
Using MC19 latest build

Tried the gizmo interface on my laptop works perfect

Thanks

Dom

Loaded a backup copy of previous gizmo works perfect.

Castius

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »

Craig
The best way to get wegizmo and gizmo customized changes. I have to restart the server.

stewart_pk

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 11:27:54 pm »

Using latest android gizmo having problems keep getting error communicating with the server & app stops.
Did not have this problem with prior versions any work arounds?
Using MC19 latest build

Tried the gizmo interface on my laptop works perfect

Thanks

Dom

Loaded a backup copy of previous gizmo works perfect.

Everytihng seems to work here with the latest version, but I keep seeing this error message pop-up on my Gozmo screen as well.

ikarius

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2013, 03:09:52 pm »

Wow THANK YOU- what a difference the new version of Gizmo makes when browsing my album collection.  I have a Nexus 7 (first gen) tablet I use as my JRiver remote control, and the new speed of the thumbnails is fantastic!  Now if I can just sort out a means of routing a particular zone to an airplay destination, I will be absolutely set. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 06:26:54 pm »

Wow THANK YOU- what a difference the new version of Gizmo makes when browsing my album collection.  I have a Nexus 7 (first gen) tablet I use as my JRiver remote control, and the new speed of the thumbnails is fantastic!  Now if I can just sort out a means of routing a particular zone to an airplay destination, I will be absolutely set. 
Airfoil?

Castius

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 10:21:16 am »

First test i have not seen any idle time outs like before. Thank you
I have seen the connection errors. They seem to have no effect. So not sure what it is.

How difficult will it be to see gizmo's show up as zones in jriver?

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 01:16:43 pm »

I experienced this only after using Gizmo for a couple of hours then I noticed the error. When the track changed is when the app stopped.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 05:36:46 pm »

19.0.32 / 75 (August 28, 2013)
Changed: Audio playback loops the playlist until stopped (unless the playlist is only one track).

Any way to toggle this feature on or off?

Quote from: Matt
19.0.31 / 74

NEW: Improved cache system so that the playback of the first file also plays from cache (but playback still starts immediately).

Just an FYI but this changes the "last played" tag on the file as it seems like the tag is updated as soon as the file is cached to the device. I'm sure there isn't anything that can be done about that but just wanted to mention it in case others wonder why that happens.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 06:41:18 pm »

Just an FYI but this changes the "last played" tag on the file as it seems like the tag is updated as soon as the file is cached to the device. I'm sure there isn't anything that can be done about that but just wanted to mention it in case others wonder why that happens.

This will be fixed next build (which should be out in a few days).

stelfe

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:13 pm »

And about this feature, Any way to disable it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up