INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAS file names  (Read 2356 times)

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
NAS file names
« on: August 30, 2013, 10:13:52 am »

I moved my audio library to my Synology NAS and found it easily but when importing JR wouldn't import certain files because it stated that the file names were too long.  I can't figure out a way around this as the network name plays into this. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks......

Victor

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Re: NAS file names
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:15:35 am »

I too have all my files on a Synology NAS but never get this complaint. How long is long?

adamt

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:20:15 am »

Are they over 260 characters?  Even windows has trouble at this point.
Adam Thompson, JRiver

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:47 am »

I've attached a screen grab.  The only real difference between this location and the location on my computer is the addition of the network path.  I'm stumped. 

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:28:09 am »

Can you map a drive to that share?

I would try that and get rid of the redundant paths \Music\Ripped Music\ if possible, but loosing the \\DISKSTATION\... etc by mapping to a driveletter would shorten the path considerably.

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 01:56:26 pm »

Something like that was a thought..... mapping a drive is something I would have to look into.  Thanks much for the info....

Victor

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 02:11:43 pm »

Mapping was/is the solution.  ;)  Thanks again so much for helping me out......

Victor

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:06:48 pm »

Can you map a drive to that share?

I would try that and get rid of the redundant paths \Music\Ripped Music\ if possible, but loosing the \\DISKSTATION\... etc by mapping to a driveletter would shorten the path considerably.

This is what I do and have had no hassles.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 03:25:28 am »

Wow do those file names look familiar! I do not know who in the public domain originally tagged his/her classical music in this way, but I have been cleaning up these long file names for over a year now (I ended up with after using the autotagger in dbPowerAmp). If you are also a Sonos user you may want to consider shortening the file names since such long names are mainly responsible for filling up the memory.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:42:17 am »

MC has a feature that is little known that might be useful here.  It's called:

Submit Track Info to Online Database (under Library Tools).

It uses a fingerprint of the audio to make an online database (JRiver's) entry with the metadata from your library.

It can be retrieved as well.

If someone with good metadata could populate the database, someone with bad metadata should be able to get it.

Contributions from well tagged libraries are appreciated.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 08:46:54 am »

I guess the 'problem' with classical music is that there are several ways to do it 'right'. I only have about a 100 classical albums but I feel I've spend more time getting the tagging 'right' than I have on the rest of my library.

Out of interest, which fields are saved in the online database? I've been spending days getting Conductor and Orchestra fields and spelling names correct, full names with proper characters (Antonín Dvořák, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, as opposed to simply Dvorak and Tchaikovsky).

haggis999

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 05:53:17 am »

Hi Victor,
I suspect that your primary mistake may have been to confuse the process of naming the physical disk location of a music track with the metadata associated with that track. Any intelligent media database solution such as MC is organised using the metadata, not the physical disk location.

You also appear to be suffering from the curse of classical metadata, which is that most of the online databases add composer and work information to each track title. That way lies madness. No music players can cope properly with such long track names. It is also impossible to organise a classical music collection without the basic tag trio of Composer, Work and Track but the online databases seldom, if ever, provide a Work tag. This means that you have to create your own custom tag for this purpose (easily done in MC).    

I have found no option but to manually edit the publically available metadata every time I rip a classical CD, so that composer, work and track information is each contained in its own tag, with no data duplication. After a bit of practice, this editing does not take all that long and is well worth the effort.    

While the physical location of your music files is not of great importance, I think there is still considerable merit in storing these files in a coherent manner and naming the folders in such a way that you can track them back to the original album. However, there is no need to duplicate the potentially more complex metadata descriptions. For example, a folder name of  'Symphonie fantastique' would normally be more appropriate than a folder called:

Symphonie fantastique for orchestra ('Episode de la vie d'un Artiste...en cinq parties'), H.48 (Op. 14)

Shorter folder names are also much easier to read in Windows Explorer, etc. I hope this helps and is not repeating too much of what you already know.  :)

David

EDIT:  It's been a few months since I ripped any CDs and, on reflection, what I have done in practice is to aim for work titles that provide the happy medium of being adequately informative but not too long to use as a folder name. I use dBpoweramp CD Ripper, which does not support a Work tag, so I start by using the Comment field for this purpose and for automatic folder naming. My Work tag in MC is populated via a calculated field that looks at the value in the Comment tag. In the few cases where a long work title is unavoidable for metadata purposes, I go back later after the rip is complete to shorten the folder name.

Things are done slightly differently if I am ripping a classical album of single track works, e.g. Chopin Nocturnes, where there is no need for a work folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up