INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet on the wall for music playback (advice needed)  (Read 19031 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Tablet on the wall for music playback (advice needed)
« on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:49 pm »

Ever since I read this thread about a shower remote I've been thinking about how to have music while I shower each morning (yes, I know it's ridiculous).

My idea is to mount an Android tablet to the wall and play using Gizmo to powered speakers.  I have a Samsung Tab 8.9 sitting around that I could use.

A tablet is neat because they're simple, nice looking, reliable, and relatively cheap these days.

For this idea to work well, I have a couple problems to solve:

1) I need to build or make a frame for the tablet.  Ideally it should hide all the wires and look nice.  I need to be able to get to the power button and volume buttons on the side of the tablet.  To make it more complicated, the audio and power plugs are on opposite sides.

2) I need to figure out an eco-friendly way to handle amplification.  I think I could leave the tablet always running since it only uses a few watts, but a lot of powered speakers and receivers draw 15W+ at idle which is a little too much for me.

Are there powered speakers / studio monitors that would automatically sleep when not being used?

I could also use passive speakers and an old receiver, but then I'd have to turn it on and off with a switch.

3) Gizmo needs a nicer looking Playing Now screen on a tablet in landscape mode.  Who can we talk to about something like that ;)

Thanks for any advice.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Tablet on the wall for music playback (advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 10:50:25 pm »

Ever since I read
2) I need to figure out an eco-friendly way to handle amplification.  I think I could leave the tablet always running since it only uses a few watts, but a lot of powered speakers and receivers draw 15W+ at idle which is a little too much for me.

Are there powered speakers / studio monitors that would automatically sleep when not being used?

I could also use passive speakers and an old receiver, but then I'd have to turn it on and off with a switch.

I have no tablet advice, but I can offer a few thoughts on the "eco-friendly amp" side.  On the subject of an "always on" amp, if you go the passive speaker route, you may want to consider a class D amp. They tend to use much less power when idle (more on the order of 3 or 4 watts than 15).  They tend to be small, and you can get surprisingly nice sounding ones for cheap (e.g. the Lepai 2020A is $20, is the size of a small paperback, and it sounds better to me than several amps I've heard that cost ten times that much.) 

On powered monitors: a good friend of mine had a pair of M-Audio powered monitors that went to sleep when not in use.  The downside was that they wouldn't always "wake up" if you were feeding them a soft signal and would occasionally "doze off" in the middle of a long quiet part of an album, and there was a little lag as they cycled on and off.  There are probably powered monitors that are better behaved out there, and you probably won't be doing too much low-level listening in the shower, so it may not be an issue.

On the subject of using a switch: I currently have my set-up plugged into a power strip that came with a remote on/off switch that's a little bigger than a light switch.  I mounted it on the wall by the lights, and I was fortunate that my equipment could all be configured to just "turn on" when power is restored to it.  It's not quite as seamless as "always on," but it saves a good bit of power.  I like it a lot, and it has relatively high WAF (one switch). It's basically the lazy man's replacement for wiring the relevant power outlet to the room's light switch.

Just a few thoughts on the power end; I'll be interested to hear what you ultimately land on.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:37 pm »

I have no tablet advice, but I can offer a few thoughts on the "eco-friendly amp" side.  On the subject of an "always on" amp, if you go the passive speaker route, you may want to consider a class D amp. They tend to use much less power when idle (more on the order of 3 or 4 watts than 15).  They tend to be small, and you can get surprisingly nice sounding ones for cheap (e.g. the Lepai 2020A is $20, is the size of a small paperback, and it sounds better to me than several amps I've heard that cost ten times that much.)

Thanks for the tip.  I ordered one ($23 delivered from Amazon).  2W idle power consumption sounds pretty neat.  The shower itself is loud, and there's glass and tile all around, so sound quality will never be great.  It means budget parts are a good choice.

I suppose it could be a problem if the amplifier couldn't get loud enough, but if it can really do 20W continuous, it should be fine for what I'm going for.

On the subject of using a switch: I currently have my set-up plugged into a power strip that came with a remote on/off switch that's a little bigger than a light switch.  I mounted it on the wall by the lights, and I was fortunate that my equipment could all be configured to just "turn on" when power is restored to it.  It's not quite as seamless as "always on," but it saves a good bit of power.  I like it a lot, and it has relatively high WAF (one switch). It's basically the lazy man's replacement for wiring the relevant power outlet to the room's light switch.

I'd like that for the studio monitors on my desk.  Currently I have to dig around on the ground for the switch on the power strip.  Is it this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch-Energy-Saving-Protector/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377922737&sr=8-2&keywords=power+strip+with+switch

Have you ever measured the standby power consumption when it's off (to make sure the remote part isn't a power suck)?

vagskal

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:16:52 am »

It is possible to connect a power outlet to the light switch so that the electric power is automatically cut off when the lights are turned off. I found that out the hard way when my rechargeable toothbrush did not work any longer, and when the replacement I bought also stopped working.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:57:13 am »

Thanks for the tip.  I ordered one ($23 delivered from Amazon).  2W idle power consumption sounds pretty neat.  The shower itself is loud, and there's glass and tile all around, so sound quality will never be great.  It means budget parts are a good choice.

I suppose it could be a problem if the amplifier couldn't get loud enough, but if it can really do 20W continuous, it should be fine for what I'm going for.

The amp will put out 20 watts a channel into 4 Ohms as I recall, but the wall wart it shipped with was 12V 2A (max 24 watt output), so if they're still shipping the same power supplies you'll likely be limited by the wall wart long before the amp.  If it's not quite loud enough for you, I replaced the stock supply with a 12V 4A supply and that seemed to give it some extra "oomph."   I love these little things, I wound up buying three of them for various applications because they're so small and versatile.  

Earlier this year, we went on vacation for a week to a house on an island that we knew had no sound system of any kind.  A few years ago (when all I had were conventional receivers) it would have never occurred to me to try and bring passive bookshelf speakers and an amp with me.  Being able to tuck the Lepai into one of the pockets in my suitcase was a big help in making the case to bring some music with me :-)

I'd like that for the studio monitors on my desk.  Currently I have to dig around on the ground for the switch on the power strip.  Is it this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Switch-Energy-Saving-Protector/dp/B003P2UMNK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377922737&sr=8-2&keywords=power+strip+with+switch

Have you ever measured the standby power consumption when it's off (to make sure the remote part isn't a power suck)?

That's similar to the one I grabbed, mine is the same brand, but has a few more outlets.  I haven't measured the strip as a whole, in part because it includes two "always on" outlets that aren't effected by the remote, and I keep the cable box and router plugged into those (so it's always using some power regardless).  I did check the switchable outlets with the multimeter when they were switched off and found no power flowing, and the power flow interruption is complete enough to trigger my PC's "auto-start when A/C power is restored after interruption" BIOS setting (which I was counting on).  But that doesn't answer your basic question about the strip's passive consumption, although even if the strip eats a little, I'm sure it's nothing compared to what the various PSUs draw

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:03:52 pm »

Ever since I read this thread about a shower remote I've been thinking about how to have music while I shower each morning (yes, I know it's ridiculous).

Real audiophiles don't shower.

My audioengine A5 powered speakers go to sleep after being idle for ~10 min. and wake up when they get an audio signal.  They use about 1 watt in sleep mode.

Bill

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:59 pm »

Matt - great idea.... or just teasing?   

Whole House - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78002.0

JRiver CEO Elect

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:28:14 pm »

+1 for the Lepai.

I run one from my laptop in the man cave, just into a couple of speakers from an old all-in-one stereo I had lying around, and it does a great job.

Should have no trouble with it being loud enough in a small space.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:39:17 pm »

As you know I've been toying with how to replace my existing Intercom System with Tablets such as the Galaxy Note.

Wall Mounts (need to hide the old rebates from the Intercom) - There are heaps of desings for both in and outside eg

Power - The existing wiring currently delivers 13.8V to each station from a 5A from one of these, which I could replace with a 5Volt version to power the Tablets without needing to run power.

While this would work, the sound pressure will be low as it would rely on what the tablets push out.  The next option would be to either use docks with speakers (but that would ruin the clean wall mount line) or add wireless speakers where needed.

JRiver CEO Elect

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 03:19:30 am »

Some practical questions about this...

1. Most bathrooms are very high humidity environments. When I read this, the first thing that came into my mind was an image of a tablet all fogged up and ruined. Sony have been advertising that their touchscreens work when wet. My iPad touchscreen does not work properly if I try to use it immediately after wiping the screen with a damp cloth.

2. I don't know what the electrical code is like where you live, but here, we are not allowed to have any switched sockets in the room, and shaver sockets should not be used to power anything other than an electric shaver/toothbrush. Again, I foresee problems with an amplifier that is not designed for operation in high humidity environments. Speakers too, for that matter. I can't imagine paper cones holding up well in that environment.

While you would not have direct control, it seems like a bluetooth speaker would be much simpler?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 04:38:53 am »

For this idea to work well, I have a couple problems to solve:

1) I need to build or make a frame for the tablet.  Ideally it should hide all the wires and look nice.  I need to be able to get to the power button and volume buttons on the side of the tablet.  To make it more complicated, the audio and power plugs are on opposite sides.

The universal solution to every problem in and around the house:

;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 11:34:08 am »

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  And the laughs.

I found an app that lets the screen dim but not go off while Gizmo is running.  This way, I don't need to be able to reach the power button.  The tablet only takes one or two watts while sitting idle with the screen dimmed.

I'll post some pictures of the tablet duct taped to the wall and ruined from humidity once I make some more progress!

But first I'm off to file the proper paper work with the city for a permit.  Exactly like I did when I added the bathroom to the unfinished basement in the first place.  Exactly like that.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 04:42:47 pm »

I got the tablet mounted today:

And here's what's behind the frame:

I mounted some speakers, but the amplifier recommended above won't be here until Wednesday.  So for now, it's using the tablet's speaker.

It's been a fun project so far.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 05:20:57 pm »

Looks Terrific!  How do you find the inbuilt speakers?  Far too soft I'm guessing or is it OK?  Looking forward to seeing how you go with the speakers / amp.

Now all I would need to replace my current Intercom with these would be to add two features to Gizmo
1) Radio Streams (eg Connected Media from the Library Server) 
2) Paging / Intercom

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 01:23:29 pm »

Looking good!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 07:39:46 pm »

That looks incredible.  I'll be interested in how it all sounds once it's all set up, and how it copes with humidity  ;D

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 08:16:13 pm »

Gizmo needs a nicer looking Playing Now screen on a tablet in landscape mode.  Who can we talk to about something like that ;)

Yea... I wonder what could be done a with that screen. Maybe a slightly tilted album cover with reflection??? Maybe an optional spectrum analyzer, if possible, to give it a little dynamic movement...
Maybe some graphic work on the playback buttons..

Ya need something.. That tablet looks great, nice install, but a little... dare I say "eye candy" would be nice..

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 10:55:49 pm »

As you know I've been toying with how to replace my existing Intercom System with Tablets such as the Galaxy Note.

Wall Mounts (need to hide the old rebates from the Intercom) - There are heaps of desings for both in and outside eg

Power - The existing wiring currently delivers 13.8V to each station from a 5A from one of these, which I could replace with a 5Volt version to power the Tablets without needing to run power.

While this would work, the sound pressure will be low as it would rely on what the tablets push out.  The next option would be to either use docks with speakers (but that would ruin the clean wall mount line) or add wireless speakers where needed.

Does Gizmo support zones these days? If so, can you not invest in a multi channel sound card, run each pair of speakers as a stereo zone and use gizmo to play to the zone?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 11:41:16 pm »

One problem is I can not run new cable.  I'm stuck with using the odd 8 core cable that has been set in the slab for the intercom (eg I could use it for power) and/or just use wireless.  I don't want to lose the two most common features, Radio and Paging.
JRiver CEO Elect

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 01:44:38 am »

you could ask JR to add intercom to MC. Oh, wait....  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 02:51:04 am »

;D ... but I'm hopeful.  Matt has now gone most of the way .... now just a couple of tweaks and all these On Wall Tablets could become part of one intelligent Whole House Media Network!
JRiver CEO Elect

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 11:49:14 am »

If this project doesn't scream for Intercom support, then none does.

I can see Matt's wife pressing the Talk button while Matt is belting out some old Ella Fitzgerald tunes while soaking in Mr. Bubble.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 01:24:56 am »

Every time I see this topic's subject this song pops up in my head.

Tablet on the wall
Tablet on the wall
Tablet on the wall
Tablet on the wall
Just a Tablet on the wall!

Treat me like a prisoner
Treat me like a fool
Treat me like a loser
Use me as a tool
Face me till I'm hungry
Push me in the cold
Treat me like a criminal
Just a Tablet on the wall!

;D

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 01:36:38 am »

Yea.. like Pink Floyd's

"Another Tablet In The Wall"

If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2013, 11:27:25 pm »

I don't think the idea is ridiculous .. just maybe a little odd.

In any case, I'd go for an off the shelf solution that avoids reinventing the wheel. From a purely conceptual perspective, stick the tablet in something like this to keep it waterproof:

Then mount it on shower tiles / glass screen using something like this:

it would take some research to get the right combination but if function over-rides form, then you're on your way.

Take the Russian approach to developing a writing implement for their space programme, i.e. a pencil, and don't use NASA's approach off developing a ball point pen that can write in 0g environment.

[EDIT:
From this-
http://www.physics.org/facts/apollo-nasa-pen.asp
The Russians followed NASA's footsteps but in both cases they left the legwork to others who had the core technology and avoided a costly DIY job.

Base message is still the same.]
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 11:50:19 pm »

For the nerdy mythbusters out there, this should tie things up:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fact-or-fiction-nasa-spen

From a topic relevance viewpoint, now Matt can control MC from the shower while writing up his next build improvement list (on his head if he wanted to).
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

Somewhat simpler/easier solution (especially for those who are not DIY types):

Pages: [1]   Go Up