INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October Standard = No Display  (Read 2386 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Red October Standard = No Display
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

I actually had this issue on MC18 as well, but since I upgraded, I figured I should troubleshoot why the TV video looked choppy in 18.  I always reverted back to 17 when watching sports because high action video looked choppy in 18, and still does in 19.  The only difference I notice in the video playback settings is that my copy of 17 is setup for Red October Standard, while 18 & 19 are setup with Red October HQ.  I have a fairly powerful PC, so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue, but if I change it to Red October Standard in either 18 or 19, the videos play, but the screen is black.  I get sound, just no video.  Here's the end of the Benchmark output:

Score: 3354

JRMark (version 19.0.32): 3709

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Red October Standard = No Display
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:24:11 pm »

Any ideas?  At first I had thought this was just the handling of the TV card, but I can tell it's more that now.  If I take a sports program in MC17 and record it, it looks very fluid and normal - like a TV would.  If I take that recording and play it in MC18 and now MC19, it is choppy and looks like it's being played by a computer.

Thanks,

--Ryan

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:14:05 am »

What computer/graphics are you using? Do you have a built in video card or a separate card? You should first make sure you have the latest video drivers. Try running with "Hardware Acceleration" OFF (Tools>Options>Video). Acceleration ON caused similar problems on my setup.

Are you connecting to the TV through an AVR or direct cable from HTPC to TV?  This is probably a long shot - but in my case I run everything through my Onkyo 705 AVR to  my Pioneer 5080HD TV and the TV's native resolution is 1366x768 (720p) and if I set the computer desktop to the TV resolution (where it fits the TV screen best) the Onkyo will not pass the video signal through it because it is not a "TV resolution". I have to set desktop to 1080x1920 in order to get video to pass through the Onkyo.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:56:47 am »

Hoyt,

Are you playing back the TV recording on your computer screen or a connected TV. From what you said before I assume it's a computer screen. This does not explain why MC 17 is OK but MC 18 and MC 19 are bad. The hardware is the same as I assume you are running all three versions on the same machine.

Ross

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:26 am »

Playback is to a TV (Samsung LCD) via HDMI.  I said computer screen out of habit I think.  The video card is an AMD Radeon 7470 HD.  I just updated the drivers and still getting the same choppy playback. 

The screen resolution is set to Desktop Settings, and the desktop is set to 1920x1080, the native resolution of the LCD.

rossp

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:23:10 pm »

Still doesn't explain why MC17 works.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 02:58:48 pm »

Still doesn't explain why MC17 works.

Agreed.  Was MadVR first introduced to MC in MC18?  There are a million settings in there that I have never touched.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 04:50:44 pm »

With football right around the corner... would love to have a few ideas to try.  Any suggestions?  It's a little annoying to launch MC17 everytime i want to watch sports.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 04:54:26 pm »

A virus checker could do that.

Try toggling hardware acceleration on / off in MC's video settings.

Does Red October Standard work?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 05:02:41 pm »

A virus checker could do that.

Try toggling hardware acceleration on / off in MC's video settings.

Does Red October Standard work?

I actually totally turned off my virus checker last weekend because it was slowing down the auto-import (like 70 minutes instead of 5).  Still had the issue after that.

When I turn it to Red October Standard, I get sound, but no video.  The screen is 100% black.

Hardware acceleration is off in the MC video setting.  I previously had it on.  I tried both to no avail.  It is off in MC17, MC18 and MC19 now.

Thanks,

--Ryan

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »

Do you have any automatic refresh rate changes settings configured?

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »

Do you have any automatic refresh rate changes settings configured?

Not sure... I'll check that and compare between the different installations in a few hours (not home just yet).

Thanks!

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 08:19:27 pm »

Not sure... I'll check that and compare between the different installations in a few hours (not home just yet).

Thanks!

I found this setting and turned it off, it had been turned on.  It was off in MC17.  I rebooted, noticed no difference.  Thanks,

--Ryan

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 06:32:12 pm »

I'm going to keep this thread alive until I can figure this out because it's driving me nuts and I'm pretty sure something isn't right.  Sports is unwatchable in MC18 & MC19 on my htpc, but at the same time, I launch MC17 and it looks 'normal.'  I wish I had a better way to explain it or demonstrate it.  But imagine watching the scrolling bar at the bottom of your screen during a game skipping across the screen instead of scrolling.

Thanks,

--Ryan

CountryBumkin

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 06:53:00 am »

Sometimes software just doesn't install right. I have had a few times where nothing but a complete hard drive wipe and clean OS reinstall would fix the problem. On a dedicated HTPC it's not such a big job since there is usually nothing on the PC but the OS and JRiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up