INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export & Importing a Smartlist  (Read 3491 times)

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
Export & Importing a Smartlist
« on: September 02, 2013, 10:03:33 am »

Hi there,

I've obviously got this wrong but can I export and import a Smartlist from one Mac to Another I thought I'd cracked it but still no joy running 215 on both machines and getting fed up with this simple task eluding me.

Again any simple ideas on how to?

Many thanks, Tim.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Export & Importing a Smartlist
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:43:13 am »

A smartlist is a set of rules which can be exported/imported via a text file.  Right-click on the smartlist and choose "Edit smartlist...", then click the "Import/Export" button and then click the Save button on the import/export dialog that pops up.  Choose a filename to save it to.  Move that file over to the other Mac, create a new smartlist with name you want to use, then do the same procedure except use the Load button on the import/export dialog and select the file you created in the previous step.

You may have been confused by the "Export Playlist..." choice beneath the "Edit Smartlist..." choice on the right-click menu.  That's for saving the current list of media files for that smartlist to an external format like m3u8 for use in another player.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 11:01:14 am »

Hi there,

Many thanks for your reply but that does not transfer across all my saved music that I have in the original Smartlist, please understand I am using the exact same music files only they are on two different Macs one a MacBook the other a Mac Mini so I have two versions nth the same of MC18 for the Mac and on both computers hard drives I have my Flac folder with the exact same number of files.

Not sure if this is right but what you have shown me is how to setup a Smartlist set of rules with the same settings but it doesn't carry across the info, i.e. the tracks the albums the artists, this would mean I've just got to do the whole thing manually eventually across 5 or 6 MC platforms, I'm trying to find an easier route or can it not be done? 

How hard can this be to get a playlist/smartlist copied from one version of MC18 or MC19 to another version it seems so difficult or am I really doing something wrong here?

Again thanks but that didn't seem to work not sure why though unless all it did was copy a set of rules across.

I'll get there in the end I do have an iTunes playlist but that is with again the same music library but in Apple Lossless Format and not FLAC, I prefer FLAC.

Tim.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 11:16:59 am »

It's difficult to diagnose your problem, as there is only a description of the (failed) result and no data from which to help others draw their own conclusions.  Suggestion: focus on presenting exactly what you do (w/out interpretation) and exactly how it fails to do what you expect.

Without seeing your actual smartlist, there's no way to know why the file sets are different.  Of note, smartlists do not always generate the same content, as by default, many operations return random results.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 04:00:06 am »

Hi Mr C,

I'll get there in the end currently I have on my MacBook, MC18 for the mac I have compiled a Smartlist of 471 files which equals 13.2 GB of data of my 5 star tracks, I've had to individually mark each of these tracks as 5 star tracks.

What I would like to do is rather than having to do the same process on all my platforms is copy this information and transfer it firstly to my Mac Mini eventually I would like to use this Smartlist on all my platforms but I think that is for the future.  Obviously I have been used to iTunes where this is easily done and Squeezserver is also easily done but MC18 and MC19 for Windows it is not that easy.

There seems to be this export and import buttons but thus far they do not appear to work I can understand that I want to move from 1 Mac with an individual name to another Mac with a different user name that I could see as a problem but it's not with iTunes or Squeezserver.

Now I hope that explains what I'm trying to do if not please ask for further clarification.

Again many thanks, Tim

MrC

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 11:46:59 am »

Tim - good, you've made your goal clear.

Now lets focus on the process.  I'll explain a couple things briefly, given your stated goal:

1. You must have MC configured to write out tags so that this metadata follows the files.  Confirm your settings.  Confirm also that the files have the tag values written (use MC's tag dump in the Tag Action Window).

2. Your media files now need to copied to all the relevant systems.

3. On the target systems, import those media files into MC.

4. On the target systems, create a new smartlist, hit the Import / Export button, and type (or paste) in *exactly* the same data you see in the same location on the source system.  If your smartlists make use of path-based rules, you'll obviously have to adjust your paths to reflect those on the target systems.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 05:03:37 am »

Hi there,

On all platforms there is an exact copy of the FLAC music files so the files are already in place I will now attempt to follow your instructions and report back.

Again many thanks, Tim.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

Hi there,

I have no idea about Tags.  All I know is the Update tags when file info is changed is ticked.  Confirm settings thus far I cannot find and how do I know if Tag values have be written I know if I click on one track it shows details and when it was last playedd but I'm not sure if tat is what it should be?

Where is the Tag Action Window to use Tag dump?

From what I read in your last comment I might as well just do this all manually but again I have to ask why is this such a difficult task when in other programs it is very easy oh but not in MC18.

Thanks for all your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:51 am »

The Action Window is in the lower left corner of the program.  Select a file or files and click on Tag.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 12:23:43 pm »

Tim, I think JohnT gave you the exact set of instructions necessary to take a smartlist definition from machine 1 and configure machine 2 with the same smartlist.  There is no way in MC to output a smartlist "export" file that you can later "import" on another system running MC.

So you have to Edit the smartlist, hit the Import/Export button, and copy the text there (this is the smartlist's definition).  Save it to a file if you want so that you can share this file with your other Macs (where you'd paste).

The comparison against other software players is not useful, and it is shortsighted.  I could name other features which are terribly difficult in iTunes which require little to no effort in MC (for example, why do I have to use a script in iTunes to have iTunes re-read all the tags of all files to detect externally changed files, and why does it take so darned long to do it?).

It sounds like you'd be better off Cloning an MC library, and copying that Cloned library to other systems.  Or use Library Server.

Tim-Ann

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:58 am »

Hi there,

Many thanks I have done it manually only two other machines to have to do it on, but I have a far larger library to have to do the same thing 3 times would prove to be a nightmare fine on a small library playlist.

As for comparing well I'm sorry but some other software does allow for an easier transfer of playlists.   I'm in no rush and will keep trying the solutions offered hopefully I might be able to master them.

Again many thanks everyone for all your help and input.

Tim.

MrC

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 12:29:23 pm »

As for comparing well I'm sorry but some other software does allow for an easier transfer of playlists.   I'm in no rush and will keep trying the solutions offered hopefully I might be able to master them.

You're missing the point here.  You are mixing two types of posts, and therefore, confuse the issue, making it harder for others to help you.  One type of post asks for HELP doing something.  The other type of post asks for a CHANGE.

If your goal is to get HELP, stick with only the relevant details to get help.

If your goal is to get a CHANGE, request the change.

But keep these separate posts distinct, because it is in *your* best interest to do so.
Pages: [1]   Go Up