INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot load subtitles - says N/A  (Read 4097 times)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
Cannot load subtitles - says N/A
« on: September 03, 2013, 08:36:00 am »

Playing a video file, Right click in the video file to access context menu, go down to subtitles, I expect to see options/'browse'....all it shows is
'n/a'

If the subtitle file is named the same as the video or embedded--subtitles work AND the browse to load a different external subtitle file works. But whats the point of a browse option only when something is already loaded?

what can be done? Thanks!

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Caanot load subtitles - says N/A
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:51:52 am »

bump

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:59:31 am »

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 11:58:39 am »

.......um I did. It does not answer my question. How about you read my post before deciding I'm an idiot and treating me rudely? Its three whole sentences long.

Why is there no browse option?

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:51:24 am »

bump

Re: Cannot load subtitles - says N/A
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »

I can confirm this. There's no option to load external subtitles, if the currently playing video does not contain any subtitles itself.

ronan

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:24:59 am »

Hey,

I m having the same issue. Is it a bug? Is there any solution?

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »

no i think they dont like me. Its okay I still love them  ;)

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:05:50 pm »

bump

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »

While it is not a bad idea idea, it is currently just not part of the feature set.  You need to go and grab the Subs first and then you can select them.  Out of interest did you see this : http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75967.0
JRiver CEO Elect

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 02:52:29 pm »

No i did not, I will look into the subtitle downloader.

Jmone, perhaps I was unclear on the issue: What is the point of a browse button to load subtitles if it is ONLY available if subtitles are loaded?

Purpose of browse button: To load subtitle from a file
When is browse button enabled?: When subtitles are already loaded and the user does not NEED to load them.
When is browse button not enabled? When subtitles are NOT already loaded and the user may want to load them.

Seems to me that the above situation is not a feature set problem but a small logic bug in your programming fixable in a single line of code.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 03:01:47 pm »

.......um I did. It does not answer my question. How about you read my post before deciding I'm an idiot and treating me rudely? Its three whole sentences long.

Why is there no browse option?

Overlooking the attitude, the Wiki entry that I referred to clearly explains how subtitles work and most importantly their limitations. The sections on sidecar files have worked for me. A simple file rename process by the user is not that hard to do, so I suppose the development team took the view that amongst all the items on their to do list then it's good enough applying the principle of make it simple but no simpler.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 05:24:41 am »

In an upcoming build of MC19:
Changed: The Subtitles -> Browse... option is always available, not only when subtitles are already present.

Please note that we do not develop MC18 anymore, so this change will only be available in MC19.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 07:51:41 pm »

Overlooking the attitude, the Wiki entry that I referred to clearly explains how subtitles work and most importantly their limitations. The sections on sidecar files have worked for me. A simple file rename process by the user is not that hard to do, so I suppose the development team took the view that amongst all the items on their to do list then it's good enough applying the principle of make it simple but no simpler.

You gotta give respect to get it ;)

You obviously still don't understand what the problem was. The browse functionality existed, but was broken.

Thank you Hendrik for the fix.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »

Be nice.  astromo is another user like you.

We're a little short handed right now.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86462.0

coderego

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 10:54:47 pm »

I'm aware that you are short handed. This post far predates that unfortunate event. However, I was not upset at all at JRiver support, you guys got to the issue and fixed it as per Hendrik's post. As such, I do not see how this is relevant.

This astromo guy has had an attitude this entire thread and then cries foul when hes proved wrong. Oh well. The issue is fixed, your product is better. You are welcome, JimH, for the bug report.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 01:24:44 am »

Apologies for misunderstanding the detail...  :-[

I think my posting history on Interact shows that I've sought to contribute constructively and play it straight. Being involved is a very useful way to learn that helps me make the best use of MC. I plan to continue doing this.

I agree with codrego's comment that MC will be better now that there's a plan to implement a fix. That's what matters most..  8)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 07:15:05 am »

Astromo's behavior on Interact is always courteous and helpful.
Pages: [1]   Go Up