INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows Phone 8 - Playlist Sync issues  (Read 16975 times)

Warbird777

• Recent member
Windows Phone 8 - Playlist Sync issues
« on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:22 am »

There appears to be some issues syncing playlists to Windows Phone 8.

Environment:
- MC 18.0.212 on Windows 7
- Windows Phone 8 on NOKIA Lumia 822 (Verizon).
- In Media Center, the device options are set to:
    Audio path: Music\[Artist]\[Album]\
    Playlists path: Music\Playlist\

Behavior:
The initial sync, results in the playlist syncing correctly.
A zero sized file, named with a long string of numbers, ends up in the \Music\Playlist\ directory.
The playlist is listed in phone's Xbox Music app's Playlist section, and the Music plays just fine.

Issue:
However, a subsequent sync of a second playlist, results in the initial playlist being replaced by the new one.
While the music itself remains intact, the initial playlist is lost.

Workaround:
The workaround is to completely delete and re-sync all playlists at once.  Including the time to convert FLAC to WMA lossless, that can many hours.

TCube

Re: Windows Phone 8 - Playlist Sync issues
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:29:52 am »

Hello,

As this topic seems "Windows Phone 8" first relevant topic in search, I will just add my own experience (starting last October).

Environment:
- MC 17.xx on Windows 7/32 (MC sees the Nokia - 2 different Storage places Phone and SD Card - but won't read, drop or write files and I won't buy Upgrades 2 much hassle to jump from 17.xx to 19.xx and not a priority for now).
- Windows Phone 8 on NOKIA Lumia 520 (Lumia Black & WP 8 release 3)
- Add on SD card 32 Go on the Lumia (Fat 32 as I use an adaptor for use with my APN too 4 HD photos/videos).

Context of use :
- I do not buy any music from the Nokia store (or any other app. i.e Xbox, MC "performer store",etc.).
- One way sync. from JRiver to Nokia (PC/Nokia - USB power supply on Nokia)
- Export Playlist mostly (mp3/bitrates/genre/rating/date are main criterias set in my playlists).

Real cool, fun and easy !

On MC just do as You always did : make your own playlists (MU3) from any parameters you may wish.

a) Export and stick the playlists on the same physical Directory where your music is stored.
b) Use "00" symbols or "-" ones so your playlists are top/bottom of that Directory (that keeps everything in chronological order within).
c) Set your Nokia to stack new files on SD card within the Nokia.
d) Eventually add new path/names on your SD card Directory (I had to as I dl/upld other medias to/from SkyDrive for instance and that's obviously a different back-up/share source).
e) Plug your Nokia to the PC and use the Windows Phone prog. to interface with the Nokia (U will have to look out for the Directory, even on external back-up storage HD if so)
f) Choose and pick different playlist located and start sync. Does the job pretty well in a few minutes (my set is one MC Playlist for a month, on average 60/70 new songs ; in my knowledge I roughtly count 5mn for 500 Mo in USB2 and SdCard transfert/speed caracteristics).
g) Set sync to Music/sync Music (remember do not tick "all music" ha-ha-ha)
h) Check on Windows Explorer your SD SmartPhone card number of files copied versus JRiver Playlist number of files and in Mo storage in MC (must be an easier way ...).

Notes :

- I have set my playlists to be on the same rep. as my music so I can add on the fly if I want to Playlists and also new albums I have in one shot
Still you can change add/delete path in Windows Phone for PC in "Add/delete Dossiers" for instance but I rather tend towards actually using the same "physical location" on my HD. Haven't tried copying a playlist differently.

- Wild knitting as to built a Playlist with Play Doctor - export it, re-name it and then re-import it under "Imported Playlist" ... then finally delete the initial one  ;) !

- I am aware there will maybe some flaws in this set-up in the long run : same song on 2 different MC Playlist either/or same song copied in both Playlist/Albums ... what happens on the Nokia user end ? (**)

- The longest part is waiting until the Windows Phone prog. on your PC reads your MC Music directory (Myself around 8500 songs on a Laptop).
Fields imported Artist/Album/Cover/Name of the song/Genre (note : the app. on the Nokia is going to mention other songs of the same Artis/Genre you may have on the Nokia).

This is really basic but that's what's only needed at first.
It's better on one end : to concentrate on the criteria of your multiple playlist and at the other end : the possibilities of the Nokia Music user interface (*).

I still have a few issues and thoughts with MC's interface with an external device. "Replay Gain" & "Sound leverage" for instance and also external tables for images in order to save storage ("Covers"). MC is very versatile for MC playing its own set up but it might be way too much when U face a simple interface with a smartphone and complexity will induce errors along the line (***).

TC

Edit : I'll keep Editing this topic from time to time to add things.

(*) I can use either a tile for any playlist i.e Music/Videos (on the run) or Nokia MixRadio (one only tile available). The latest best used while Hotspot or Wifi connected as it gives the possibility to read Bio (WikiP), listen similar artist from the Nokia database, pictures, concert dates (close to location), access twitter, have a much enriched laylout, best selling tracks, albums/singles produced, stream Nokia MixRadio (and that's a quite good App., no limits, very sharp selection ! Neat hey !  I'm picking-up news songs U can't buy on-line while casually building my personal MixReadio with these for later, etc.

Using both Music/Video and MixRadio enables U 2 have two running process at the same time ex. Video/Radio for one - Music for the other and switching back and forth without killing a process. This is also helpfull as Reverse-Sync from Nokia to Mc is a dream for the future, if you have a "wart" in your Nokia playlist U can listen to it on MixRadio switch to the other running process (Music/Video) and delete it on the spot and back exactly where you were.

(**) Check listing of songs, scroll  and doubles will appear - Nokia MixRadio mentions the name of the album (Music/Video/Podcast/Radio/Store GUI does not) where the song belongs to and overall is very similar to a Virtual File System as in MediaCenter (and consequences) if you delete one ref. of the two it will delete the related physical file for both ref. (no question asked : logical or physical ? It's very blunt). Thus I intend not to worry about that.

(***) Sorry to say but so far I googlized and found a single topic 'bout one or two fully satisfied users with MC  (it's very vague anyway http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75778.0.  Windows Phone is getting pretty much a software interface for many, regardless of the brand (Windows Phone 7, 8, 8.x for HD).

Note 02/03/14 - Lumia Black & WP8 release 3  : don't forget DL Nokia's "App Folder" not present in the upgrade package, THEN create one place to put diff. apps. into it, tile it  - won't work YET to place Playlists/links ie Bandcamp + Audio RSS + MC playlists, etc. (let's cross fingers for the future  :D )

TCube

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:23 am »

Hello,

Got time To read topics here and there about Mobile & Sync. Struck me, users trying to connect many times before success (I only tried twice and gave up, previous post).

Out the blue there was an old MediaCenter Jukebox 14.0.156 FREE version. And there it is ! Plug and play, odd.
I will now synchro my libraries between MC 14 and MC 17

TC

PS : here is the link on my OneDrive so you don't have to log in to see the image attached http://1drv.ms/1gkXaMf

TCube

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 02:35:57 am »

Hello,

Well it wasn't expected but I finally got the JR MC 19.xx version because of the NMedium Play app.  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=87309.0.
So 19.xx solved the simple basic Playlist Sync issues and NMedium opened up new functionality with my WP8.
Rgds

TCube

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 02:26:37 am »

Hello,
Copy from another topic

By the way for all Windows Phone users, if you need to do a "backup/reset/restore" of your phone [unknown "Other files" clustering the availalbe memory after a while] you better have your SD Card playlists saved with JRiver MC for later re-sync. with your WP.
Files on your SD card won't be flush out but "Playlists" will after a phone "reset" (*)
Thus, if you keep your playlists within MC19, it will be extremely quick, just a matter of re-building the tables for Playlists and does not "copying" again any files.
Rgds
TC

(*) Won't make a differernce if you leave or take out the SD card while resetting the phone.

TCube

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 03:10:16 am »

Hello,
I very much enjoy R128 sound processing it got me to stack more and more music on a 32 Go SDcard (*). But isn't always easy to manage.
Just a tip, it may be improved with experiencing.

Context of use :
- Music "on the go" stacked on SDcard.
- Basic players on WP (Nokia Music/Mix + WP product Music/Vid)
- Have invariable [lock] playlists.
- Want to add Albums/CDs pretty much variable (deleted after a while from my SD card).
- How to keep track and sync without too much fuss.

Getting around :
Get a playlist stacking "playlists and Cds'

Then Sync whatever is New from "Option Sync"  list :

Ease of use. You will see in either Nokia Music/Mix or WP Music/Vid :
- The Playlist menu now list "Playlists" and "Cds".
- To get rid of an CD,  it will be much easier then to go there than to scroll either in "Albums" or "Artist".
- If you get rid of a CD once listened on your WP, just do it on your WP. To check, later,  go to the parameters on the "Option Sync" list in JRiver and also scrap the same CD.

This is ATM the simplest/dumbest way I do manually sync  "Off Line On the Go" music aka complete CDs from SDCard back from modification from the Device.
It's ok if "add/delete" but it's still very touchy from JRiver to SDcard to update (i.e : cover missing, CBR and not VBR, tracks numbering, wrong Genre, etc.) better flush out everything out on the SDcard.
TC

(*) My estimate : 6 Go 800 songs 320VBR
p.s Nokia Lumia Cyan.

TCube

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:36:48 pm »

Hello,

Very strange the way it goes with virtual files/folders in MC, but no complain, it makes things easier (sometimes)

If you have, name it : a) Playlists b) CD's to sync to your WP... now you can add c) Artist.
Here is an example where you wished you could add some tracks to an existing playlist "on the fly"; in this case 5 tracks from "Lord Upminster" to "Sex & Drugs & R'R"  ... but by same artist "Ian Dury"

The cool thing if Tags are made correctly, SYNC of one "virtual" Playlist repertory from MC [aka Artist "ian Dury"or "Who ever else Discography" sorted by ratings ] will nonetheless create multiple CD entries on the WP SD card (*). Believe me I've tried with the complete "Ugress" discography.
Rgds
TC

(*) Nokia Mix and Xbox Music on Cyan : I'll give XBox Music one big advantage from recent upgrades : New Menu 'Recently Played' Simple, Smart and Stupid :)
(**) much music on the daily subway way in and way back  : had to buy a spare battery.

TCube

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 04:13:53 am »

Hello,

Just to note.
If you ever swap one Sdcard for another and then viciously go back to the first one : Windows/Xbox Player won't get you "covers" [Nokia Mix will do fine]
Before you ever think of syn.c again with MC just cut off power on your WP and restart it will sync again Windows Phone>Music with the SdCard>Music

Now, if this should work too from copying SDCard 32Go to 64/128Go I don't know,
TC

Edit 07/11/14 new Windows App http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/files/762e837f-461d-4847-8399-3526f54fc25e
I got it since WP 8.1, light App. 1 Mo.  It make things easier to check on stand-alone some "unsuspected" mess on Telephone and SDCard after SYNC or Re-SYNC.

TCube

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 03:44:13 am »

Hello,

I wish JRiver' Support would give us a hint to Windows Phone users : what do they need to do in order to better synchronized one SDCard with Media Center (Audio primarily) ?
Context : I do use NMedium Play or MediaHub on wifi or 3/4G but let's say just Xbox Music from a SDCard [Off line] it's difficult to synchronize the way you've listened Music between a Source and a Device.

I've trolled on these topics this WE http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/forums/209733-xbox-music-feature-suggestions

Does JRiver have any suggestions we could mention ?
Thks
TC

P.s I think it's worth the try as the MS team does work pretty often on upgrades http://xboxmusic.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/topics/53766-announcements
Something as to be done here in 15 'cause it's not "State of the Art"  ;)

Hereunder selected tracks for a Playlist to be stacked on WP SDCard : I could call this game "Find the differences in between "  ;)

Then reading back a playlist initially transfered by JRiver to WindowsPhone back to JRiver

Edit 23/12/14 : So far best FLAC player for Windows Phone IMO :http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/flac-player-sd/c812a2b0-ea8d-4819-9ed3-b35040c08b67

TCube

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 11:20:04 am »

Hello

Just rolling out in France in time for Xmas (all Nokia devices, from top to bottom).
Works nicely with XBox Music just have to be careful with too many English words I rely sometimes on Phonetics (aka /fəˈnɛtɪks/). "Playlist" for instance is a word that goes "blank" --> Bing search.
Interesting use with my street headphones + microphone : nice reward on WP having done the Sync/Tags stuff all along with MC.

TC

How to http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/cortana/play-music-with-cortana

Edit 01-19-2015 :
No way to get "Playlist" to be recognized in French & no way to get English as a substitute language in Cortana in France (firmware).  Funky French ... Change names of "Playlist" in MC for "Liste" ("list-heu" not "Liszt") delete "Playlist" on WP and re-sync : all fine now.

Interesting rumor 01-16-15 :
"Lumia Denim will optimize interactions with virtual assistant Cortana, available in version alpha in France. On smartphones equipped with a SoC Snapdragon 800 it will be possible to activate the "Hey Cortana" command to interact with the smartphone without having to manually press the microphone icon".
Source http://www.clubic.com/smartphone/windows-phone-8-1/actualite-750019-windows-phone-microsoft-amorce-deploiement-lumia-denim.html

This would be great with Headphones and Mic : just press Mic once and say "Hey Cortana Play"  [artist name, album title, or song title]   :o

TCube

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 11:43:45 am »

Hello
With some Lumia
    Lumia 630
    Lumia 635 (+ 636 & 638 outside of France)
    Lumia 730
    Lumia 830

... new release Worldwide and upgrade of WP OS [to accept future install of "technical preview" of WP 10] makes things a bit difficult.
Some apps. won't function under this intermediate upgrade  ?
Third party JRiver NMedium and Medium Play works.
Let's cross fingers for native FLAC music but in the mean time NokiaMix has improved [Dolby/Equalizer]
Tc

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 01:56:33 am »

Hi all,

I came here looking for a solution to my playlist issue and I don't think it's been directly answered...

When I sync my Lumia 930 with MC20, I get all the tracks copied just fine, but the playlists aren't being added to my phone as far as I can tell. I am syncing using smartlists and regular playlists, but none of them show up in either the Nokia Radio or Windows Music apps. Is there something I have to do to get MC to add the playlists to my phone for me or is this not possible?

TCube

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:59:43 am »

Hello

Do i get it right ? Files copied alright but not new "playlist name" under either XBox Music or Nokia Mix ?
Plenty of screen copies for playlists sync above  ?
You may disagree with the methodology alright .. I set a " Windows Phone SD" rep for playlist. Then in a Drive/Device "Nokia" I can add whatever playlists from the above "Windows Phone SD".
It simple : location , location ... from "source" on the computer drive (what I plan to) to what I actually I want to sync when the Nokia is connected .
Do you sync a smart list as a playlist name ? ... Should be no problem then.
Rgds
Tc

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 04:35:30 pm »

Hello

Do i get it right ? Files copied alright but not new "playlist name" under either XBox Music or Nokia Mix ?
Plenty of screen copies for playlists sync above  ?
You may disagree with the methodology alright .. I set a " Windows Phone SD" rep for playlist. Then in a Drive/Device "Nokia" I can add whatever playlists from the above "Windows Phone SD".
It simple : location , location ... from "source" on the computer drive (what I plan to) to what I actually I want to sync when the Nokia is connected .
Do you sync a smart list as a playlist name ? ... Should be no problem then.
Rgds
Tc

Yes, files copied, but no new playlist names. I noticed the reference to "Windows Phone SD", but wasn't sure if that was relevant because I have no external card slot in the 930. Is this for added memory or is it a way to setup a profile for syncing with WP8?

Thanks for the reply!!

TCube

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 08:43:11 pm »

930 ... bummer  :(
Never tried playlist on phone memory. Will give it a shot on 830.
Tc

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 12:00:49 am »

930 ... bummer  :(
Never tried playlist on phone memory. Will give it a shot on 830.
Tc

Thanks! Any help would be greatly appreciated as the next alternative I see is to synchronize to an external memory card in a card reader and then transfer the contents of that card to the phone manually. I can live with that, but would prefer a 1-step alternative if it exists.

TCube

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 02:47:39 am »

Sorry to ask  :-[ just curiosity .
New release, 2/3 weeks ago,  Xbox Music has now option. Display "playlists" : All, phone,SDcard, Streaming.
Did you check that ?
Tc

Edit : out of the box it works for me / I do sync and have a "Playlist" under XBox Music display "Phone" 
Have to look later on your JR Settings : Right Click - here on Windows Phone 830 - Phone / Goes to "Handheld config"

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »

Sorry to ask  :-[ just curiosity .
New release, 2/3 weeks ago,  Xbox Music has now option. Display "playlists" : All, phone,SDcard, Streaming.
Did you check that ?
Tc

Edit : out of the box it works for me / I do sync and have a "Playlist" under XBox Music display "Phone" 
Have to look later on your JR Settings : Right Click - here on Windows Phone 830 - Phone / Goes to "Handheld config"

Thanks, but I can't find the option in the Xbox Music app on my 930. It's possible that I'll have to wait for the latest WP8 version (Denim?) to roll out to Australian networks before that update takes effect.

Other than that, a problem I can see is that when I connect my Lumia 930, the device interface in JRiver appears quite broken. You might be able to see in this screenshot that the Lumia icon appears at the very top left corner (way out of where it should be) and there is no information in the top grey area that would normally contain the device info. I'm wondering if there is a problem with how JRiver is able to interface with the 930?

TCube

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 12:38:25 am »

That was my trick question to know where you were @   :). This new functionality is there for WP 8.1 Black.
It's all right I'm guessing I see "remaining" - it's very slow if Usb2 + lots of songs + 30G to be checked.
Tc

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 01:18:38 am »

That was my trick question to know where you were @   :). This new functionality is there for WP 8.1 Black.
It's all right I'm guessing I see "remaining" - it's very slow if Usb2 + lots of songs + 30G to be checked.
Tc

Actually I just checked and I already have WP8.1 (Denim version) so I don't know what's wrong!?

At the moment I'm trying to sync files to a folder and then sync the folder with my Lumia using the WP desktop app, but the playlists still aren't working - I'm guessing due to path issues.

Any ideas which playlist format is most likely to work with WP8.1?

I also still don't know why the status information won't show up correctly in the device info bar (under the playback bar at the very top of JRiver)

TCube

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 03:20:11 am »

Nothing wrong with Denim (JRiver has worked for me with Denim. Amber, ect)
I dont use the WP app. on desktop i won't be much help there. Are you using a Usb hub ? ... Don't at first.
Tc

Ps When I'll get to my Pc later this eve. I'll check the Playlist format within JR.

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 05:50:41 pm »

Nothing wrong with Denim (JRiver has worked for me with Denim. Amber, ect)
I dont use the WP app. on desktop i won't be much help there. Are you using a Usb hub ? ... Don't at first.
Tc

Ps When I'll get to my Pc later this eve. I'll check the Playlist format within JR.

Thanks for your help.

I may have used a hub the first time so maybe I need to forget all devices and start again?

TCube

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 02:03:32 am »

You're welcome 😊
Yep . Start again and get the darn thing going for the coming WE 😎
- No Usb Hub
- Valid "yes" on your 930 when asked to be Usb connected [if so asked]
- Don't let your 930 to go on "sleep mode"
- Give some time for JR to get the first synchro done.
- JRiver should screen the default Rep. for music which is as a matter of fact : "Music" on the WP.

When I sync my Lumia 930 with MC20, I get all the tracks copied just fine

But from the above quote of yours and also from your screen copy I think I was misled.
Let's drop the synchronization of tracks between devices : it works for you (or see the above steps).

- Moreover , please do give details how you manage to create "playlists" under MC 20 ? Might make a difference as why you can sync tracks and you can't sync playlists names ... Pm me I'll Pm back @ U.
Tc

P.s : Thing is, I'm not using MC 20 for identical trouble shooting 😥

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2015, 04:33:23 am »

You're welcome 😊
Yep . Start again and get the darn thing going for the coming WE 😎
- No Usb Hub
- Valid "yes" on your 930 when asked to be Usb connected [if so asked]
- Don't let your 930 to go on "sleep mode"
- Give some time for JR to get the first synchro done.
- JRiver should screen the default Rep. for music which is as a matter of fact : "Music" on the WP.

But from the above quote of yours and also from your screen copy I think I was misled.
Let's drop the synchronization of tracks between devices : it works for you (or see the above steps).

- Moreover , please do give details how you manage to create "playlists" under MC 20 ? Might make a difference as why you can sync tracks and you can't sync playlists names ... I may pm U.
Tc

P.s : Thing is, I'm not using MC 20 for identical trouble shooting 😥

I'm using playlists created manually as well as smartlists based on rules (e.g. media type = music and rating = 5 stars). The issue seems to be that the playlists are either not transferred to the phone or that the playlists are in the wrong format for the phone.

I tried forgetting the Lumia and then reconnecting it and rediscovering it while it was connected directly to my computer's USB port, but I am still having the same problem where the phone isn't properly recognised. All other devices show up with info in the top part of MC, but the Lumia just comes up with a blank box.

TCube

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 05:09:39 am »

Right,

If you think the playlist format is the issue with MC20 : I'm dubious about it but nothin I can help you with (as mentioned it's Mc 19 for me)

Anyhow, how do U save you manual playlists :
a) drag and drop in a box?
b) save as "new playlist" with a name ?

Why do you think your 930 isn't properly recognized is MC . It's in Drive and Device, no ?

Sorry to be obnoxious but please screen/copy tracks sync. between MC 20 and 930 as you said you did sync. BEFORE the 930 with MC20 (your words) Tracks should come up again in JR (then display Sync at an earlier date aka "last sync.")

Tc
Edit : I guess even installing MC20 trial for me won't help you much more 😡
Pages: [1]   Go Up