INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thank you for the announcement, JRiver  (Read 1871 times)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Thank you for the announcement, JRiver
« on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:11 pm »

Today, the Provinical Government in my adopted 'home' here in Quebec announced its Charter of Values. It's nothing but thinly veiled racism. It's been hard to get any work done due to the uproar on social media.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/09/09/montreal-quebec-parti-quebecois-charter-of-quebec-values.html
The announcement about Hendrik working for JRiver was exactly what I needed to inject some positivity into my day.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Thank you for the announcement, JRiver
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:51 pm »

Fortunately the knuckleheads in office today who continue to force their belief systems soon fall out of favor and power, and the gradual, but inevitable march towards tolerance, acceptance, and general congeniality will continue.  So we all just hold our noses until this short-term stink passes.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

Yeah. I'm not at all religious - the opposite. But I think this is a bad move, and the wife and I are considering a good move- one that is away from this province.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 04:30:49 pm »

Maybe I missed something, but these seem reasonable to me.

Amend the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms.

Establish a duty of neutrality and reserve for all state personnel.

Limit the wearing of conspicuous religious symbols.

Make it mandatory to have one’s face uncovered when providing or receiving a state service.

Establish an implementation policy for state organizations.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 04:36:00 pm »

Who defines the limits, and what is considered "conspicuous"?  Does this mean no crosses, stars of David, head-wear, robes, etc.

The irony is that its probably OK to wear Gucci emblazoned across one's buttocks, demonstrating that one's business alliances are more important than one's religious affiliations.

To me, the state has no business in these matters.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 04:44:05 pm »

I think that the state has an important role in discouraging government by religion. 

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 04:06:04 pm »

I'm all for having certain things banned such as the burka, or anything that obscures the face. But the excuses the government is coming out with?
e.g.:
Teachers who wear a head scarf may try to convert kids to their faith.

Even the (Canadian and British) armed forces make provision for the Sikh turban:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2246410/Sikh-soldier-makes-history-guards-Buckingham-Palace-wearing-turban-instead-traditional-bearskin.html

Sadly, very few people in Quebec know the difference between Sikhs and Muslims, and most don't appreciate that the railroad that was the backbone to the formation of Canada as it is now was built in part by Sikhs a century ago.

Along with the Sikh turban, which is a requirement of the religion, not just a cultural/oppressive fashion accessory, Jewish kippas (yarmulkes) will bebanned, as are head scarves. Meanwhile, the National Assembly, where these decisions are made, gets to keep the big cross because "it's part of the cultural heritage of Quebec".
Pages: [1]   Go Up