INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nuisance AlbumArt_{*}_*.jpg Files  (Read 6255 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Nuisance AlbumArt_{*}_*.jpg Files
« on: September 12, 2013, 10:25:09 pm »

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place but I'm getting a bit hacked off by all this trash album art (i.e. AlbumArt_{*}_*.jpg) that's appearing on my system. If it wasn't a commonly reported problem with Windows Media Player, I'd think it was a virus. For example:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=67704
In my case, WMP is switched off via Windows > Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features on or off
Don't need it cos' MC is my platform of choice. So, I don't understand why they're being created?

Daft question, MC isn't doing some stray artwork process is it?    ?

I did find this historical reference on Interact where AlbumArt_{*}_*.jpg files are specifically mentioned:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=13758.15
but it doesn't help.

I've now made sure my system doesn't produce thumbs.db files as per:
http://www.itguyfixit.com/2009/07/removingdisable-thumbsdb-windows-xp.html
but that's simply a desperate attempt to avoid a regular exercise of deleting redundant files. I'm not convinced that it will help.

I found a folder on the same drive that my MC music files are loaded to named "Artwork" that I don't recall creating. So it got the heave-ho toot sweet.

Am I going nuts? Is this a conspiracy?

Before paranoia sets in good and proper, if anyone out there can give me some constructive assistance I'd be most appreciative...   8)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Nuisance AlbumArt_{*}_*.jpg Files
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:02 pm »

Stop using WMP.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:31:51 pm »

Stop using WMP.

Thanks for the advice.

Did you miss the bit where I noted:
In my case, WMP is switched off via Windows > Control Panel > Programs & Features > Turn Windows Features on or off
Don't need it cos' MC is my platform of choice. So, I don't understand why they're being created?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:06:37 am »

Point WMP and WMC media folders to some non-media junk folder.  Disable all their download options.

I don't know of other programs that write these files.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 12:58:49 am »

Isn't this caused by Windows sharing media over Workgroup, or DLNA or some such? (even though you're not actually using WMP, Windows is still using it)

You can still run the program even though it's turned off under "Features", at least, it still runs for me here if I launch it directly, and I also have it turned off.

Paste this in the"Run" box: "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" and press enter.
Right click on the WMP toolbar and go to "Tools > Options > Library" and turn off all those "Automatic media information updates for files" options.
Then switch to the privacy tab and make sure that, at the very least, the "Update music files by retrieving info from the internet" is also turned off.

OK out, and close WMP, never to return to it, and you should be sorted with regard to the annoying album art files it creates.

-marko

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 07:02:18 am »

Point WMP and WMC media folders to some non-media junk folder.  Disable all their download options.

I don't know of other programs that write these files.

Cheers for that.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:05:24 am »

Isn't this caused by Windows sharing media over Workgroup, or DLNA or some such? (even though you're not actually using WMP, Windows is still using it)

Don't know. That's why I asked the question to people who know more than me. Your suggestion looks like the schizzle.

Trust me. I don't want anything to do with M$'s media software, especially if it rudely writes files that I don't want.

Many thanks. Appreciated.

Hopefully your suggestion works..   :D

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 12:58:21 pm »

Some versions of Windows, by default, create Scheduled Tasks that do Media-related things.  If you look at the Microsoft entries in Scheduled Tasks, there may be some things that you might want to disable after doing some research on what they actually do.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »

Some versions of Windows, by default, create Scheduled Tasks that do Media-related things.  If you look at the Microsoft entries in Scheduled Tasks, there may be some things that you might want to disable after doing some research on what they actually do.
Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67735.0

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 07:08:17 pm »

Thanks for this. You guys are a wealth of good stuff.

Thanks for this.
Here's an example:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=67735.0
I did spot this entry in my trawl of Interact but I didn't give it too much of a read because it was focusing on WHS. I'll give it a look if I get the gremlins returning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up