INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Center 19 and Support for Multi-Channel Files  (Read 7426 times)

Living Stereo

• Recent member
JRiver Media Center 19 and Support for Multi-Channel Files
« on: September 17, 2013, 10:44:26 pm »

Does Media Center 19 support playback of multi-channel files (Wav or Flac) yet?  I know that MC 18 would not.  Is this on the agenda for MC 19 ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: JRiver Media Center 19 and Support for Multi-Channel Files
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:53:32 pm »

MC fully supports multi-channel audio and video.

If you're having a problem, you might post details.  It's likely a configuration issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »

You played multi-channel files with MC18. Are you still waiting for a solution from Oppo?

Thanks, I finally got it working, it is now passing Multi-channel WAV & FLAC files via the network properly and it is showing up as multi-channel on my receiver.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:43:50 am »

Does Media Center 19 support playback of multi-channel files (Wav or Flac) yet?  I know that MC 18 would not.  Is this on the agenda for MC 19 ?

This cannot be correct. I have not had any problems playing 6-channel flac neither in MC18 nor 19.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:51:33 pm »

I do not think I was able to ever get JRiver to play Multi-Channel files.  I was able to get my Oppo to play them from a USB stick, but it will not play Gapless.  I have given up hope that Oppo will sort out the gapless issue.  They are trying some band aid methods using cue sheets but they were just not working and a pain to use.  To those playing back Muti-Channel via J River, what are your various output settings set at in JRiver?  At this time I am using an ASUS Essence STX sound card on my Media PC via digital Coax to my Integra 70.2 Receiver.  JRiver will play the file, but channels are missing and it still says 2 ch on the reciever display.  It will say Multi-Channel when I feed the same files through the Oppo.  I have Output mode set to ASIO - Channel Offset=0, Output Format - Source Number Of Channels.  The goal is to have it play gapless multi-channel files, just as the 2ch files play on JRiver.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:58:17 pm »

ASUS Essence STX sound card on my Media PC via digital Coax

S/PDIF only supports more than two channels if you use Dolby Digital encoding (which is offered in DSP Studio > Output Encoding).

We use maximum bitrate CBR Dolby Digital, and it will provide really good sound.

The next step up would be to switch to HDMI or multi-channel analog.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 07:39:51 am »

Please use JRiver, not JRiver.  It works better with searches.  Thanks.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:10:31 am »

These are just multi channel files, they have no Dolby Digital Encoding.  Are you basically stating that I need a sound card that can output via HDMI ?

Micromecca

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 08:37:29 am »

If you want to send uncompressed multichannel audio then yes, need to use HDMI or a Multi-Channel Analogue connection

OR

you can enable Dolby Digital encoding as explained by Matt and send it that way with your current hardware.

Laird_Williams

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

I have no problem getting MC19 to properly stream multichannel flacs to the Oppo and having the Oppo see them and play them properly.
I did the same thing with MC18.

In both cases, I turned audio transcoding OFF and stereo downmixing OFF in the media server instance.
(I have a BDP-103 and it plays just about everything-audio natively anyway - so transcoding is a complete waste in this case.)

I use the 103 as a renderer, us the JRiver iPad app as controller, and MC19 as server/library. Everything works great except gapless playback.

YMMV

This, of course, involves a DLNA/Streaming solution. If you have a home theater PC running MC (e.g. connected via A/V connections and not network connections to your home entertainment system) then you have to worry about the output capabilities of your HTPC. A lot of audio formats won't even traverse SPDIF optical any more. Too many bits - and no support in the specs. To maximize audio support, you will need a PC with an HDMI output and then run the HDMI out to your home theater system (receiver, pre-pro, etc.). I don't know how well MC works once you have the HDMI out - but I do know that several audio formats are complete non-starters unless you have HDMI for physical transport.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:16 am »

I have no problem getting MC19 to properly stream multichannel flacs to the Oppo and having the Oppo see them and play them properly.
I did the same thing with MC18.

In both cases, I turned audio transcoding OFF and stereo downmixing OFF in the media server instance.
(I have a BDP-103 and it plays just about everything-audio natively anyway - so transcoding is a complete waste in this case.)

But will it play gapless, I have a large number of classical titles and things like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon that need gapless playback.  That is the problem with the Oppo and playing off a usb device, the Oppo can not do gapless playback.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 12:44:02 pm »

But will it play gapless, I have a large number of classical titles and things like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon that need gapless playback.  That is the problem with the Oppo and playing off a usb device, the Oppo can not do gapless playback.

Yes it does. If you read this thread carefully once more you will see that your challenge is not MC18/19. It is your audio hardware interface. With SPDIF you will need to encode to DD before sending it to your receiver if you want multichannel. My setup is quite different, with a Lynx Aurora8 soundcard connected directly with ASIO to my computer. I then convert to analog signal feeding it directly into power amps. The other working option is wto get a new hdmi audio interface (I guess some video cards can transfer audio bitperfect over hdmi also).

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:22:20 pm »

Well, I feel a bit embarrassed that I did not figure this out a long time ago.  It turns out that the nVidia Video Card in my Media PC will pass HD Audio as well as video through it's HDMI output.  I did not even know that it could do it as it is almost a 2 year old card.  (GeForce GT-520).  I downloaded the current drivers, reconfigured my Integra DTR 70.2 and JRiver and bingo it is now outputting 5.1 (6ch PCM Gapless.  I am right now listening to Dark Side Of The Moon that I ripped from my Blu-Ray set into 6CH Flac Files and all works perfectly. Thanks for all the help.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »

I have run into one problem.  I ripped the Quadraphonic 4ch mix of Dark Side Of The Moon from The Blu-Ray Box Set using DVD Audio Extractor, but JRiver will not play it, plays 6ch version fine though.  Settings are WASAPI via HDMI on nVidia card to Integra DTR-70.2  Output Format is set for "Source Number Of Channels"  Any Ideas ?

Trumpetguy

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 06:30:35 am »

I have run into one problem.  I ripped the Quadraphonic 4ch mix of Dark Side Of The Moon from The Blu-Ray Box Set using DVD Audio Extractor, but JRiver will not play it, plays 6ch version fine though.  Settings are WASAPI via HDMI on nVidia card to Integra DTR-70.2  Output Format is set for "Source Number Of Channels"  Any Ideas ?

Not an expert on this, but maybe sending the four channels in a 5.1 container does the trick? You should test the options in Output Format DSP plugin in MC.

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 08:24:23 am »

Not an expert on this, but maybe sending the four channels in a 5.1 container does the trick? You should test the options in Output Format DSP plugin in MC.

There are some container options, but not 4 into 5.1  Is there a way of converting the files into 6ch with the center and sub being empty?  DVD Audio Extractor does not have any options to do this that I can see.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 07:27:39 pm »

Don't use Source Number Of Channels ?

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 12:05:11 am »

I tried playing (Pink Floyd DTSOM Quad Mix) with the source number of channels and also setting it to 4 channels, all I get are these two error messages.  I just can not seem to get it to play a 4 channel file, 5.1 works fine.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 03:28:44 am »

Try setting it to 5.1 channels output, or ideally, to the number of speakers you actually have.
4 channel playback over HDMI can be problematic, so you need to tell JRiver to convert to 5.1, which for a 4 channel source will most likely mean it'll just add empty channels (it might do cross-over for the LFE, depending on your options)
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:45:02 am »

I have run into one problem.  I ripped the Quadraphonic 4ch mix of Dark Side Of The Moon from The Blu-Ray Box Set using DVD Audio Extractor, . . .
You can rip audio from any video (DVD, Blu-ray, MKV, etc.) with JRiver by using Convert Format and then selecting Convert Video to Audio. You can choose the encoder you want and then click Options to choose more settings and even use DSP if needed.

You have to select the audio track first in the movie (right click > streams) before selecting Convert Format.

Pages: [1]   Go Up