INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDHomeRun not working  (Read 5223 times)

dcpete

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
HDHomeRun not working
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:04:56 pm »

I am trying to get my dual tuner HDHomeRun working with MC19 (19.0.32).  It didn't work with MC18 (18.0.212) either.  MC recognizes both tuners labeled "Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 101B8467-0" and "Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 101B8467-1".  When I scan for ATSC channels, it goes through the scan, but doesn't find any channels.  The QuickTV app on the same computer doesn't have any problems at all.  I currently have over 30 channels configured with that app.  Firewall ports have been enabled.  I have the latest firmware installed for the HDHomeRun device.  Any ideas?

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: HDHomeRun not working
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 06:36:14 pm »

A firewall is the most common reason.  I note that you say you've set it.

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:42:49 am »

What I meant was that Firewall ports for the HDHomeRun app were opened and that app runs with the firewall enabled.  That being said, I disabled the firewall entirely and I was able to tune channels in with MC 19.  I was able to watch channels too.  But, when I exit MC and relaunch it, all my scanned channels are gone.  I am able to rescan with the firewall off and it works again until I close MC and then I lose the channels again.  This seems like a bug, eh?

Also, can anyone point me to the inbound/outbound rules I need to set in Windows Firewall so I don't have to diasable the firewall?  I did manually add MC 19 as an allowed program, but that did not work.

Thanks, Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 10:53:38 am »

Was reading through the other thread on HDHomeRun and found a clue to my problem.  I was connected to an external library on a different computer that does not have HDHomeRun enabled as a tuner.  When I switch back to the local library, I see all my channels again.  I can live with that.

So I'm still left with the question of how to set the firewall to enable TV viewing and channel scanning with HDHomeRun through MC19, so I don't have to completely disable the firewall (Windows 7).

Chris

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:19:56 am »

I think the Silicondust site has information on firewall requirements.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:03:34 pm »

You need to set your Firewall so that it allows MC network traffic in both directions, not just allowing HDHomeRun application.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »

That worked when I created inbound and outbound rules to point to "Media Center 19.exe" from the "Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19" directory.  I was trying all sorts of port/ip address rules and not getting anywhere.  This is the simplest way to do it.  I tested it and it allows scanning of channels as well as viewing the channels with the firewall enabled.

Thanks, Chris

dcpete

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:14 pm »

I just enabled the TV tuner on my remote computer which is running XP.  Sure enough, The tuner and channels are now visible when I connect remotely from my client machine.  As part of the process, I was expecting to run into the same firewall issue I ran into with my Windows 7 machine (solved above).  Well I didn't run into that problem on the XP machine.  So I took a look at the firewall exceptions on that machine.  Media Center 19 was already there and that explains why there wasn't an issue. 

So I just wanted to alert the developers that firewall exceptions for Media Center 19 seem to be getting set for Windows XP, but not for Windows 7.  I think the exception should be automatically set for all OS's during installation, but maybe there are issues I don't understand.  Regardless, it is inconsistent between XP and Windows 7.

Thanks, Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up