INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [solved] MC19 + Wasapi wont work with HRT Music Streamer HD  (Read 4404 times)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
[solved] MC19 + Wasapi wont work with HRT Music Streamer HD
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:23:20 am »

Hi
The most recent versions of MC18 stopped working with my HRT Music Streamer HD.
I'd hoped MC19 would resolve that but it hasn't.
The only way I can get output is to switch to kernel streaming, which seems to work ok.
Or select Wasapi (not event style which has never worked with this DAC) but override the output to force everything down to 48. 96 etc has to be downsampled.

But

I tried an older version of MC18 as it was one of the later versions where things changed. 18.0.106 works perfectly; I had this on my PC from an earlier download so was easy to reinstall back to this version. So I have Wasapi working (not event style as mentioned previously this has never worked with this DAC) and no downsampling i.e. that blue logo is "lit" when playing 44.1 cd quality or 48 or 96 of which I have a few albums.

18.0.194 for example does not work for me with Wasapi without forcing the downsampling.

Does anyone have any idea what might have changed since 18.0.106? (perhaps another version between that and 194 works but I havent experimented). And whatever it is, it's inherited into MC19.

thanks, Robert.
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC19 + Wasapi wont work with HRT Music Streamer HD
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 10:25:23 am »

as an aside, MC19 latest version + Wasapi + event style works perfectly with my "portable" setup Meridian Explorer DAC, but then that DAC does have dedicated USB2 drivers for Windows.

Should have mentioned before, this is a Windows 7 laptop with MC18/MC19.

thanks, Robert
xubuntu lts 14.04 32 bit, running mc22.0.36 as anything later doesn't work properly over vnc. using linux mc22 as media server to windows mc22 last version / jremote on ipad.
I am the owner / sole admin for www.cyrusunofficial.co.uk ("fan" site for Cyrus Audio hifi)

kstuart

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 06:56:32 pm »

Better than vanilla kernel streaming is ASIO4ALL (a generic ASIO driver... note that the most recent beta version has a bug that reverses the 44.1<->48 checkbox so you will probably want to check that box).

It works well with the other HRT Music Streamers.  Set all buffers as small as possible (meaning until you get pops and other artifacts) as per HRT recommendation.   In MC19, checking "use large hardware buffers" option in MC, seems to be necessary.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 08:00:10 pm »

We do not recommend using ASIO4All.  Please see the Audio topics on our wiki for JRiver's recommendations.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:42 pm »

I am happy to use and would prefer to use Wasapi. I've had to downgrade to an older release of MC18 v106 to get it working again. I've been using JRiver with HRT DACs since MC17 and earlier stable releases of MC18 but now MC19 does not work with my HRT with Wasapi which just seems wrong. I click "play" and nothing happens, or at least nothing appears to happen. No sound, no click, the track progress bar does not move.

If there are any log files or other info you need to investigate then please let me know. If I have to experiment with installing iterations of MC18 between  106 and 194 to discover the changed version where Wasapi stops working then so be it - if you could point me to where I can obtain older versions of MC18 so I can work through the "stable" release numbers then I'll do it when I find the time. 106 works so I'll go forwards from there until Wasapi breaks,

thanks, Robert.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

Go to the search above, enter "Available" and then click on Advanced Search and then tick the Search Titles Only option, and then tick only the MC18 forum in the list of forums.

Each thread that has the download has "Available" in its title.  The download is a link near the top of the first post in each case.

( Meanwhile, you could try my other suggestion, since the official recommendation does not work. )

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »

thanks, i'll do that.

my point is, i'm assuming there is a bug in there somewhere, and jriver would like to fix it.

i used mc18 quite happily through several iterations, and 106 definitely works because i had to revert back to it, by the time i get to 194 - with no other changes - wasapi has stopped working. and same goes for mc19. works fine with my meridian, but not with my hrt, and i would assume that wasapi should work regardless of the dac. and it did in 106!

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 09:32:05 am »

174 works perfectly
178 perfect, 184 does not work.
183 does not work.
180 works, looking for 181 and 182 - dont appear to be available for download.

i'm beginning to suspect this change introduced in 183
3. Changed: Merged 'WASAPI - Event Style' and 'WASAPI' into a single output plugin.  If you required 'WASAPI', you may need to reconfigure your audio output settings.

in 180 i can choose wasapi (as opposed to wasapi event style) and it works, in 183 i have to choose wasapi + disable event and it does not work.

So my only assumption i can make at this time (knowing that i have never successfully got wasapi event style to work and use vanilla wasapi) is that something about the "wasapi + disable event style" adopted in 18.0.183 and used ever since is not compatible with my dac.

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:03:18 am »

hmmmm, retrying 183 and managed to get wasapi with event style to work by changing other options - more fiddling required, and i'm making note of these settings!

aoqw76

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 10:10:14 am »

19.0.45 now working
wasapi + event style enabled.
settings at "recommended" values
open device for exclusive access = yes
bitdepth automatic
buffering 100 milliseconds
prebuffering = 6 seconds
play silence at startup = 1/4 sec
play files from memory = yes

i think i've sorted it (but dont know which setting was the culprit), will mark thread as solved.

samtheman57

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: [solved] MC19 + Wasapi wont work with HRT Music Streamer HD
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 10:28:59 am »

Have you tried upgrading the firmware on the HRT Streamer HD?

My original HRT Streamer and Streamer II  which I upgraded to have never had any issues in WASAPI Event Style using any version of MC from 17 on.

http://highresolutiontechnologies.com/support/
Pages: [1]   Go Up