INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Flac files will not import to library  (Read 6378 times)

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
Some Flac files will not import to library
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:31:32 pm »

Hi there, first post.  New to this version of JRiver but have used prior versions before.  I am still in the 30-day trial and will purchase but I have a not insignificant issue I have to sort first.

I have a number of flac files that JRiver refuses to play or put in the library.  This will occur with individual files of an album (e.g., tracks 1, 2 and 3 will not appear, the rest of the tracks will).

When I choose to play the file by right-clicking in windows and choosing play with media center I get this message:  "The media types of the selected files are not supported for playback.  (<none>)".

As a test, I removed the tags on a few of those flac files (I use only the basic tags) using DBPoweramp and on one file it can now play within JRiver but that is not the case with the other three I tested.

What does that error mean and how can I go about fixing it?  I have a very large flac library and about 3000 files (out of about 60,000) were not loaded into the library.

Thanks in advance.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some Flac files will not import to library
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:10 pm »

Try emailing a handful of them along with a link to this topic to logs[at]jriver[dot]com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:58:29 pm »

Welcome to Interact.  The files may be corrupt.  We often find files that have tags with problems and will not play.  We usually find a way to play them.  Try the latest version (19.0.49) to make sure they are still a problem.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:11:34 pm »

By chance do the files that won't import or play have a period in the title and/or filename? I've had this issue as well and discovered that's what the issue was. Renaming the files in Windows Explorer allowed MC to import them.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:40:45 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I tried to send an email with a file but it exceeded my email size limit.

I am using the .32 version which I got from the download link on the main site.  Where do I get the .49 version?

To MGD_King, no periods in the tag name or file name.

Thanks.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:43:26 am »

I found .49 from the forum link but that does not appear to have fixed it, although it did allow me to play them after I had got rid of the tags.

However, I cleared my library and then reimported my music and had a better look at analyzing the import details.  Most of the ignored files were .cue files, which is fine.  There were only about 20 flac files that did not import, so I will have to investigate each of them further.

Thanks.

EDIT:  Okay fortunately there were only 5 or so albums that were affected and I have fixed them.  It seems it was a tagging issue although I don't know what would have been wrong with the original tags.  To fix them I cleared all the tags using DBPoweramp, then I used foobar autocomplete to retag them (JRiver may have a similar function but I am used to foobar so I used that).  Once I did that they all appeared in my JRiver library automagically and they play fine.

Thanks everyone for the help.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:24 pm »

Well I thought I had it fixed but...

I cleared my library and reloaded and those same files (as well as a few more but all within the same albums as before) refuse to load into the library.

Why is it doing this?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 08:04:29 pm »

Can you share a flie or two via, say Dropbox?  If so, send me a PM with the private link and I'll test it here as well, and delete afterwards.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

thm655321

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:01:33 pm »

I found one small enough to email so I sent it off to logs AT jriver DOT ...

Thanks.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

I'm sure the folks at JRiver will see your email tomorrow (I'm just a user like you).  They are pretty quick about these sorts of things.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Herrless

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:14:13 pm »

I am having the same issue.  I have many albums where various tracks are not recognized by JRiver.  I am using 19.0.67 and the music is stored on a NAS.  When I use Media Center 18 that I have on my office system it does recognize and play the same file from the same NAS.  I thought it might be a tagging issue but I cannot even tag them.

Any ideas?

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:22 am »

Any ideas?
Email one of the files to logs[at]jriver[dot]com with a description of the problem.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:53:22 am »

As a test, I removed the tags on a few of those flac files (I use only the basic tags) using DBPoweramp and on one file it can now play within JRiver but that is not the case with the other three I tested.

I wonder if (instead of just editing the tags in your existing Flacs) you could use DBPoweramp to transcode those files from Flac to another new Flac file. You might need to do it in two steps by transcoding from Flac to (say) Alac and then again from Alac to Flac. It is probably a bit of a palaver to do this for all 3000 files, but it is just a thought...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 07:36:02 am »

You could try the latest build from the top of this board.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 09:32:11 am »

I am having the same issue.  I have many albums where various tracks are not recognized by JRiver.  I am using 19.0.67 and the music is stored on a NAS.  When I use Media Center 18 that I have on my office system it does recognize and play the same file from the same NAS.  I thought it might be a tagging issue but I cannot even tag them.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the sample file.

For me, it imported (with tags) and plays fine.

What if you drag-n-drop it from Explorer into MC's Playing Now? 

What if you make a copy on C:\ and try it there?  If that works, it's likely a permission issue.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up