INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remap Escape Key  (Read 1984 times)

gobo

• Recent member
Remap Escape Key
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:47:56 am »

Hi

I searched the forums but couldn't find/understand how I would go about this. I hope this hasn't been asked before.

I purchased JRiver and use it in theater mode in conjunction with other software in my HTPC. The exit button on my MCE edition compatible remote is/was configured to the ESC key on the keyboard. What I was wondering is if someone could tell me if there is a way to disable that the ESC key will ask you if you want to exit theater mode when you get to the top level menu? I tried reprogramming the button on the remote to act as a Backspace Key which works with my other software but it causes an annoying delay and I want to switch it back to the much faster default, ESC. If I can't disable the "Exit Theater" option is there a way to disable the ESC in JRiver program? I know there is a way to remap keys but I'm not sure I understand how.

Thanks for any help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Remap Escape Key
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:38 am »

Welcome to the forum.

If you are using escape to go back, try using the left arrow instead.  It's the one that is part of the five key directional pad (OK in the middle).

gobo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply! 

Unfortunately that wont work because the exit button on the remote would still send the ESC keyboard command when someone hit it and I want to make sure that there is no way to exit from Theater mode once we are in it.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:08 pm »

You might try removing the mapping of the Escape key from the Resources.xml file, which is in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 19\Data\Default Resources.

Quit MC entirely (include any server that might be running).

Edit the file, and look for the word "Escape".  You'll see one entry that looks like:

<Entry Command="27000" Text="Escape" Param="27" />

Unfortunately, this file will be overwritten on the next install, and I'm not quite sure how to add a disabling entry in your own Custom Resources.xml file.  Hopefully someone will chime in, but until that time, you could test it out.

Edit: sorry, I don't think the above was correct.  Instead, you might be able to add a keyboard shortcut that maps to something else or nothing.  First read:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

about creating the custom resources.xml and where to locate it.  Next, in the Resources.xml file, find an entry:

<Entry Key="Enter" Command="28006" TranslateFlags="32" />

and copy it and place it into your custom resource.xml file.  Change this entry to:

<Entry Key="Escape" Command="22007" TranslateFlags="32" />

which should just do a refresh and not issue the Escape key.  I haven't tested this.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

gobo

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 03:13:38 pm »

Thanks for all the help so far.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I created a "Custom Resources" folder in the data folder. I copied over the "resources.xml" file from the link above and where the similar lines were I added the line:

but it didn't disable the ESC key. I also tried making my own resources.xml file with only this in it:

ACCELERATORS:
  </ACCELERATORS>
</MJRS>

But that didn't work either. :(

MrC

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 03:22:52 pm »

Sorry, then.  I didn't have time to test it out, so figured I'd give you some quick possibilities.  Maybe someone will have better answers.

gobo

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:01:37 pm »

No problem. I really appreciate the help :)

MrC

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 09:20:15 pm »

Ok, I had time to look into this and test.  This works:

<Entry Key="Escape" Command="22007" Param="0" TranslateFlags="17" />

I had the wrong TranslateFlags, which specifies in which areas of the program the key binding should be used.

gobo

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:21:21 am »

MrC

That worked! I was about to try a switch from Girder5 and rewrite all of the remote's buttons in Event Ghost to hopefully make the Exit button respond faster. Now I can just set the remote to its default programming and have the Windows MCE drivers handle that button at full speed again. Thanks again!  I really appreciate the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up