INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing video from 3TB Drive  (Read 1864 times)

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
Problem playing video from 3TB Drive
« on: October 04, 2013, 01:31:43 pm »

I just received a new WD My Book 3TB external drive (WDBACW0030HBK-NESN) and I am having serious problems playing DVD rips from this drive.
Drive is connected via 3.0 USB.

I was using a 1TB WD Green drive and had no problems at all....ever. :)
Movies were ripped using MC

Movie starts playing but if I try to advance chapters MC completely freezes.

I have searched forum on this topic and have found a couple post with ultimately no solution mentioned.
I'm not sure if this is a MC issue, Hard Drive format issue or the My Book enclosure.

Any help on this matter would greatly be appreciated.

MC 19.0.50
Dell XPS notebook
Windows 8 pro
Intel i5 2.3GHz
Nividia G Force 525M
Using all default setting in MC.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem playing video from 3TB Drive
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:10 pm »

Can you try playing the files from your computer's internal hard drive instead to see if that works?

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 03:39:23 pm »

I have two external 3TB USB 3.0 drives at home. I think my wife recently reported a similar issue with a ripped DVD to me. I'll try to remember to check it this weekend.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have tried to play on my internal drive and they work great.

I also moved some files back onto the 1TB drive which sits in a Rosewill external dock (this dock is only USB 2) they work good from there too.

Tried the 3TB My book on an Intel NUC (DC3217IYE) via USB 2.0 with same problem. The 1TB drive works on here also

It seems like the files are not the problem but maybe the WD My Book enclosure or perhaps the Large drive size.

Tried reformatting the 3TB drive as MBR this also has not helped.

To rule out the Enclosure I have removed the drive but can not test due to the fact I don't have external dock that supports 3TB
May order one if I cant come up with another solution here.

Just to mention I installed VLC player just to see and it plays files fine. Windows media player will not play files at all

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:51 pm »

It could be the USB 3.0 drivers need updating on your XPS.

Wildcat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 04:26:13 pm »

USB drivers are updated and my xps has a USB 2.0 also so tried it with same result

Im alittle confused now that the VLC player has no problens but MC and Windows Media playe bothr have trouble.

shAf

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 09:27:03 pm »

USB drivers are updated and my xps has a USB 2.0 also so tried it with same result

Im alittle confused now that the VLC player has no problens but MC and Windows Media playe bothr have trouble.

I had similar problems with a USB3 WD external drive getting it to work thru USB2. I swapped that one for a similar Seagate and experienced the same problems. On advice received here, I installed a USB3 internal card, and the symptoms went away, but it was still a bit buggy because the drive would simply disappear at times

I ended up putting up with it, but now have a new Dell XP51 and the Seagate behaves itself wonderfully. That said, I also have a 2Gb HD installed in a 3rd party USB3 enclosure and it disappears on occasion.

Personally, I believe USB3 is a bit flaky unless you're using brand new and  quality components

My CA$0.02  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up