INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS In DSP  (Read 1334 times)

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS In DSP
« on: October 04, 2013, 06:20:46 pm »

In this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69660.0 MC 17 thread Glynor requested that a setting for a  5.0 speaker setup be added to the choices in JRSS DSP Studio. Matt said that if three other people requested it that he would add it. Later in that thread Sandy B Ridge requested it (although he said he would only count as 1/2 person), then gvanbrunt requested it. I am now requesting it.

So looks like the count is now at 2 1/2 more people and Matt needed 3 more to add it. So we either need to elevate Sandy B Ridge to being a whole person, count me as 1 1/2 since I gained some weight, or find at least another 1/2 person.

Let me explain why I would like it and perhaps there is another way. I have a Asus Essence ST 7.1 sound card which means it has 8 analog outputs. I want to use all these discretely: L, C & R need 2 channels each for active crossover and 2 more for side speakers. My plan it to send the L & R woofer output channels to their own amps as well as to a Behringer DCX2496 crossover which will combine them and send its output to the subwoofer.

So I don't want any channel on the soundcard to contain subwoofer information. Now based on the original MC17 thread I could use DSP Parametric EQ to send the subwoofer signals to the L & R. But I doubt that that would free up what is now the subwoofer channel on the soundcard. I think that channel would still contain the subwoofer signal. Or would it?

If Matt creates a 5.0 speaker setup in JRSS would that leave what is now the soundcard's subwoofer channel as a free channel that I can use for other purposes?

Thanks,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Request: 5.0 Channels for JRSS In DSP
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:26:12 pm »

Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, but why not pick '5.1 in a 7.1 container' and use Parametric Equalizer to put what you want in the subwoofer channel instead of the 0.1?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:36:12 pm »

Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough, but why not pick '5.1 in a 7.1 container' and use Parametric Equalizer to put what you want in the subwoofer channel instead of the 0.1?

Thanks Matt for getting right back. Sounds good. Will I still be able to sum the LFE information with 2 channels of my choosing that will have L & R woofer signals, and (added on edit) leave the present subwoofer channel on the soundcard free of subwoofer information? I get a little confused with what I call the LFE signal that normally goes to the subwoofer, and the term 'Sub' in DSP.

Thanks again,
Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 08:32:44 pm »

My understanding is that you want:
L: biamp (output 1, 2)
R: biamp (output 3, 4)
C: biamp (output 5, 6)
SL: one output (output 7)
SR: one output (output 8)

Is that correct?

If so, use '5.1 in a 7.1 container' to get all the channels you need and have 8 channels running to the output.

Then do some work in Parametric Equalizer to order, split, etc.  Post if you need more help on this.

Also, what's the purpose of the Behringer DCX2496 crossover?  I mean, couldn't you just do all the processing in MC?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:24:00 pm »

My understanding is that you want:
L: biamp (output 1, 2)
R: biamp (output 3, 4)
C: biamp (output 5, 6)
SL: one output (output 7)
SR: one output (output 8)

Is that correct?

If so, use '5.1 in a 7.1 container' to get all the channels you need and have 8 channels running to the output.

Then do some work in Parametric Equalizer to order, split, etc.  Post if you need more help on this.

Also, what's the purpose of the Behringer DCX2496 crossover?  I mean, couldn't you just do all the processing in MC?

You got it correct Matt.
I'll do some experimenting with the MC PEQ to hopefully answer some of the things I'm not totally clear on and then ask if I get stuck.

My problem is that I really need 9 channels, the 8 as you outlined plus a subwoofer. My soundcard only has a total of 8 and I really don't want to buy a new one with more channels. Thus I can't do Bass Management in MC because there will not be a 'Subwoofer' output. I already have the DCX2496 so figure it should work well to put all bass, including the LFE signal to the L, C & R woofers, then send those signals to their amps and to the DCX2496. The DCX outputs to the sub.

Thanks,
Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up