INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 128GB SD Card  (Read 2196 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
128GB SD Card
« on: October 08, 2013, 05:42:10 am »

One of the thing I love about computers is how storage just constantly pushes forward.
For around £50 ($80ish) I've just purchased a 128GB SD Card on which to put my entire lossless audio collection on (I think that's about 23 days worth of music in the space of a large postage stamp).
I was pleasantly surprised to find my work laptop a 1 year old Dell Latitude has no problem reading or writing to this card.

When I started collecting lossless audio people were very much of the impression that it would be impossible due to the costs of storage.(I know it's not a mamoth collection by some standards here but it keeps me entertained...)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: 128GB SD Card
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:06:28 pm »

Yeah its nice that prices keep coming down.

Make sure you make backups though on something a little more reliable than an SD card.

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:10:27 pm »

The problem with lossless is that devices like iPhones are very expensive if you want extra storage, and they only go up to 64GB.
There's no way to add cheap, but slow, storage such as SD cards to them purely for media storage. (you need fast storage to run apps)

Actually, it's the same thing with a lot of notebooks now too, with them moving towards flash storage.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »

Yeah its nice that prices keep coming down.

Make sure you make backups though on something a little more reliable than an SD card.

My main collection remains on a number of 2.5" spinny disks, and failing that these are in turn backed up by a serious number of 4.75 inch spinny disks... ;)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:35:13 pm »

The problem with lossless is that devices like iPhones are very expensive if you want extra storage, and they only go up to 64GB.
There's no way to add cheap, but slow, storage such as SD cards to them purely for media storage. (you need fast storage to run apps)

Actually, it's the same thing with a lot of notebooks now too, with them moving towards flash storage.

That sounds like a good reason not to buy an IPhone ;)
The Samsung S4 has MicroSDXC capabilties, I'm sure it's not the only one.

I'm hoping another year or so and the MicroSD cards will have reached 128GB, and hopefully by which point work will replace my S3!

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:51:15 pm »

As a little experiment I installed a portable edition of MC on the card and then imported the files I've so far copied across.
It took a little longer to install than normal but other than that it's happily running from the SD Card.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:15:29 pm »

That sounds like a good reason not to buy an IPhone ;)
The Samsung S4 has MicroSDXC capabilties, I'm sure it's not the only one.
Well that's easier said than done. Android does not have nearly the selection of apps or support for accessories as iOS does, and some of us like pocketable devices that can be used with one hand.

Personally, I don't own either, but I would not be buying a device to put all my personal information on, that's run by an advertising company. (Google)

And even 128GB is rather small compared to some libraries around here.

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

Well that's easier said than done. Android does not have nearly the selection of apps or support for accessories as iOS does, and some of us like pocketable devices that can be used with one hand.

I'm not entirely sure that's the case any more.  My housemate works as a Samsung rep and our house is literally full of gizmos that can be used with Android...  I don't really know of anything that iOS does or apps it has that Android doesn't have something to compete with. 

Personally, I don't own either, but I would not be buying a device to put all my personal information on, that's run by an advertising company. (Google)

And even 128GB is rather small compared to some libraries around here.

There is something in what you say here.  I'd love to see more competition maybe from Ubuntu or Firefox or dare I say it MS.
I like Ubuntu's idea of combining a desktop computer and phone OS onto one device.

That said my personal interest is equally somewhat limited.  I don't normally carry the smartphone with me outside work.  I have a dumb phone and I consider even that too intrusive sometimes!

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:46 pm »

I'm not entirely sure that's the case any more.  My housemate works as a Samsung rep and our house is literally full of gizmos that can be used with Android...  I don't really know of anything that iOS does or apps it has that Android doesn't have something to compete with. 
Well one of the things I realized when considering the move from an iPad to a Windows tablet is that only iOS seems to support those three-button in-line remotes; neither Windows nor Android seem to support anything more than one-button remotes.

It sounds like a small thing, but that remote means I get Vol +−, Play/Pause, Skip/Seek controls without pulling out the device.
Because my headphones have a removable cord with a 3.5mm jack, I can just buy any third-party cable and use that with any Apple device.

While touchscreens have brought a number of improvements, the lack of physical controls for media playback has always bothered me, and the three-button remote solves this.

And while I am personally inclined to buy hardware which is as open/universal as possible, we have some devices around the house with AirPlay or dock connectors that wouldn't work with an Android device - and so do friends and family. It's a shame that Bluetooth still only supports compressed audio.

The problem is not that Android doesn't have equivalent accessories, it's that it doesn't work with the accessories we already own.
There is something in what you say here.  I'd love to see more competition maybe from Ubuntu or Firefox or dare I say it MS.
Firefox appeals to me, but they seem to be focused on low-end right now. Windows Phone starts to get interesting once they unite Windows Phone and Windows RT - it's stupid that they don't run the same apps.

I like Ubuntu's idea of combining a desktop computer and phone OS onto one device.
I think that's the future we're headed towards eventually.

That said my personal interest is equally somewhat limited.  I don't normally carry the smartphone with me outside work.  I have a dumb phone and I consider even that too intrusive sometimes!
Agreed. While combining the devices is more convenient, I'd be more inclined to buy a separate iPod (or similar device) and not carry a phone around with me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up